Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

tight connection -will Delta cover overnight accommodations if I misconnect???

Old Sep 30, 2019, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Have a 40 minute connection in Atlanta on the last flight of the day. If I misconnect (maybe due to a delayed inbound for whatever reason or sitting on the tarmac waiting to taxi to the gate, etc.), will Delta cover overnight accommodations? Platinum medallion.

Thanks.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bmw303
Have a 40 minute connection in Atlanta on the last flight of the day. If I misconnect (maybe due to a delayed inbound for whatever reason or sitting on the tarmac waiting to taxi to the gate, etc.), will Delta cover overnight accommodations? Platinum medallion.

Thanks.
Depends on reason for delay and if inbound us from somewhere that would require it.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 9:32 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
That's tight, do you have trip delay insurance from your credit card?? I wouldn't count on Delta covering your expenses unless it's truly their fault.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 6:44 am
Original Poster

I
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
That's tight, do you have trip delay insurance from your credit card?? I wouldn't count on Delta covering your expenses unless it's truly their fault.

I booked it using the delta platinum amex so no
Old Oct 1, 2019, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Depends on reason for delay and if inbound us from somewhere that would require it.
no just a domestic transfer.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bmw303
no just a domestic transfer.
Absent bein a 360, hotel/voucher only if within DL control.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If delay is weather/ATC related, they will likely only provide a discount voucher for a hotel. I've been turned down for a comp hotel in ATL as a DM for ATC related delay, so I doubt they will do anything for a Plat in these cases. Got a discount voucher for a Day's Inn, but decided to use some Radisson points for a Country Inn & Suites instead. I have points in several different hotel programs and consider those to be my "trip insurance" in these cases.
altabello likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by xliioper
If delay is weather/ATC related, they will likely only provide a discount voucher for a hotel. I've been turned down for a comp hotel in ATL as a DM for ATC related delay, so I doubt they will do anything for a Plat in these cases. Got a discount voucher for a Day's Inn, but decided to use some Radisson points for a Country Inn & Suites instead. I have points in several different hotel programs and consider those to be my "trip insurance" in these cases.
DL agent should've provided voucher for hotel as a DM. I've gotten stuck overnight more times than I wish. DL in ATL has always given voucher regardless. In fact, ATL was where I was told they would do so for DM. Just got checks for three different hotel reimbursements that only 1 was in DL control. (I usually just book and seek reimbursement as I get to room quicker. No waiting for voucher to who knows where to be issued))
tvnwz, CO-PLAT and DougSkymiles like this.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 8:14 am

Absent bein a 360, hotel/voucher only if within DL control.
I've been offered hotel/voucher at least twice as a lowly DM, once for weather and once for "VIP movement" (Trump arriving at EWR to go to his Bedford NJ club) that caused a misconnect. Both times were in ATL, both times I stopped at the help desk just to get the distressed traveler amenity kit. I declined both since my company covers the cost anyway and requested they give mine to someone who really needs it (which in hindsight I doubt they did).
Old Oct 1, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Given the runway work they've been doing lately, I'd ask to change the inbound in the next few days/weeks to an earlier flight if your schedule allows.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 8:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Putting aside your credit card, take a look at your travel insurance. Many of those policies have a trip interruption add-on included.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 8:31 am

I connect thru ATL every other week on the last flight of the night with a 46 minute connection. Always have to change terminals in ATL too. Unless you are sitting in the back of arriving plane you can make it if you hustle
Old Oct 1, 2019, 8:38 am

Most of the credit cards don't cover this type of delay unless the flight is delayed more than 3/6/12 hours etc.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DL agent should've provided voucher for hotel as a DM. I've gotten stuck overnight more times than I wish. DL in ATL has always given voucher regardless. In fact, ATL was where I was told they would do so for DM. Just got checks for three different hotel reimbursements that only 1 was in DL control. (I usually just book and seek reimbursement as I get to room quicker. No waiting for voucher to who knows where to be issued))
I was turned down by both the rebooking desk and an agent in an SC. I guess my CRM score isn't high enough.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
I've been offered hotel/voucher at least twice as a lowly DM, once for weather and once for "VIP movement" (Trump arriving at EWR to go to his Bedford NJ club) that caused a misconnect. Both times were in ATL, both times I stopped at the help desk just to get the distressed traveler amenity kit. I declined both since my company covers the cost anyway and requested they give mine to someone who really needs it (which in hindsight I doubt they did).
Sorry if wasnt clear. The OP I was replying to stated they were a PM. Thus my comment about only if 360. As my later post shows, DM also gets same treatment. DM/360 will also get better hotels (if they still have voucher rooms available). For example at DTW they try and reserve the Westin for DM/360 passengers. Even being D1 in itself doesn't guarantee they'll put you up at the DTW Westin. (Again something learned thanks to an agent)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.