Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Amex Delta Changes & New Benefit Changes.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Delta Changes & New Benefit Changes.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Adelphos
As mentioned above Delta Reserve doesn't get the 3x on hotels or 2x on groceries/restaurants. Same deal on how the $550 fee Amex Platinum doesn't get 4x on restaurants and the $250 fee Amex Gold does...
I could understand this if they didn’t remove the 15K RDM bonus at 30K spend, but by removing that, we are now getting less for more. Pathetic, but not surprised at all.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: Delta GM
Originally Posted by gooselee
IIRC current Reserve terms state it must be DL-operated. If they are now including DL-marketed this would be a win.

OTOH if it says it must be DL-operated and DL-marketed, that would be a net loss (e.g., it would exclude someone travelling on an AF-marketed, DL-operated flight).
The terms now say marketed OR operated.
gooselee likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Well, count me in to now re-doing the math on my Reserve + vanilla Plat + CSR combination.

The vanilla Plat I use the airline fee, Uber, and Saks credits with basically no effort each year - so net AF is only $50 for hotel/car status and IAP access.
Reserve still basically pays for itself with the companion ticket. Added guest passes is nice for the couple times a year Mrs. Lee travels with me.
CSR AF is reasonable after the $300 travel credit. Priority Pass (and soon to be trip insurance) is duped with the Platinum, but still value from primary rental car insurance and also being a Visa/UR card when Amex/MR doesn't work.

I need to make a spreadsheet....
I am in a similar boat, although I don't carry a vanilla Plat at the moment since I'm still on the fence about all the tricks needed to use the credits..

Seems like almost nothing being offered on the Reserve in exchange for the fee hike, although even $550 for the companion certificate is trivially worth it on its own. I feel like even if I get the vanilla Plat, I am holding AMEX cards as memberships to one useful benefit and nothing else (Reserve = $550 companion cert, comes with free lounge membership, Plat = $350 IAP membership with associated silly discounts and whatnot as the airline "fee credit" is about the only thing I could conceivably use reliably). I guess the two companion passes are marginally worthwhile on the new Reserve -- lack of guest privileges was definitely the most annoying feature of the card (and DL SC membership in general).

Centurion lounge access requires DL flight and payment with the Card (emphasis mine):

Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Basic and Additional Card Members receive complimentary access to all locations of The Centurion Lounge when flying on a same-day Delta-marketed or Delta-operated flight. The eligible flight must be booked on a U.S. issued American Express charge or credit Card.
So great, a 1.5% (versus CSR, SkyPeso at 1cpm) fee to use the CL, only when flying Delta. What a great benefit, especially at an airport like SFO

SC rules also say "Delta marketed or Delta-operated" flight (both Delta and Amex terms), although I have only accessed when flying DL/DL.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 10:30 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by creditcardmarauder
since the Delta Reserve is only popular with a small niche market of business travelers.
I don't believe that to be true.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
I just remembered that one of my Authorized Users on my reserve card has a DL Plat (I have 2 AU’s, but I only pay for 1 additional reserve and the other has a free Plat) so will purchases on that card get the 2x on restaurants/groceries and 3x on hotels?
Old Sep 30, 2019, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by uppereastsider
Priority Pass isn't fully duped with platinum because the Amex Priority pass benefit doesn't include restaurants, but the Chase PP benefit does.

I've also never used the restaurant benefit, so it's worth 0, but from what I've read, you can really maximize it if you have a PP restaurant at a frequently visited airport
That's true. But for me personally it's effectively a dupe as I've used the restaurant benefit a grand total of once (at PDX) and don't frequent the airports/terminals where restaurants are the main PP benefit.

Another nugget I just noticed, for Reserve, bringing a guest to the SC now costs $50 (if you're not using one of the two guest passes, I assume). That's a big hit vs. the $29 it previously cost and ironically a bigger increase than the lower tier cards.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: DL DM & 1MM
Originally Posted by uppereastsider
Sounds right, as it's similar to the Skyclub benefit - only when flying Delta.

This retains some value for the vanilla Amex Platinum if you plan on using the Centurion lounge when flying non Delta
Originally Posted by RetiredATLATC
According to OMAAT, he wrote ref the Reserve card, "The card will offer complimentary Centurion Lounge access when flying Delta same day".

So Centurion Lounge access is only good if I'm flying Delta?
According to https://newdeltaamex.com/cards/perso...erve-card.html: "Enjoy complimentary access to the Centurion Lounge when you use your Card to book a Delta flight." So, if you're traveling on Delta, but booked through another card, gift card, eCredit, etc., you could not use the Centurion Lounge.

Edit to Add:
"Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Basic and Additional Card Members receive complimentary access to all locations of The Centurion Lounge when flying on a same-day Delta-marketed or Delta-operated flight. The eligible flight must be booked on a U.S. issued American Express charge or credit Card."

Perhaps you can book it with any AMEX card, however, still wouldn't work for a flight booked with gift card, eCert, etc.
RetiredATLATC likes this.

Last edited by dEagleS; Sep 30, 2019 at 10:51 am Reason: Add
Old Sep 30, 2019, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by findark
I am in a similar boat, although I don't carry a vanilla Plat at the moment since I'm still on the fence about all the tricks needed to use the credits..

Seems like almost nothing being offered on the Reserve in exchange for the fee hike, although even $550 for the companion certificate is trivially worth it on its own. I feel like even if I get the vanilla Plat, I am holding AMEX cards as memberships to one useful benefit and nothing else (Reserve = $550 companion cert, comes with free lounge membership, Plat = $350 IAP membership with associated silly discounts and whatnot as the airline "fee credit" is about the only thing I could conceivably use reliably). I guess the two companion passes are marginally worthwhile on the new Reserve -- lack of guest privileges was definitely the most annoying feature of the card (and DL SC membership in general).

Centurion lounge access requires DL flight and payment with the Card (emphasis mine):

So great, a 1.5% (versus CSR, SkyPeso at 1cpm) fee to use the CL, only when flying Delta. What a great benefit, especially at an airport like SFO

SC rules also say "Delta marketed or Delta-operated" flight (both Delta and Amex terms), although I have only accessed when flying DL/DL.
Yeah, similar thoughts to all. I personally don't have any issues using the vanilla Plat credits (Uber, Saks, airline) but I know many others do for a variety of reasons.

For Centurion - it's interesting that the payment can be on ANY Amex. So while that rules out CSR/UR, if you want to earn MR instead via a vanilla Gold or something, you could do that but still use the Reserve for Cent access.

Will be interesting to see how the marketed-or-operated rolls out. Hopefully the message gets to the lounge agents properly and they update those laminated card menus they keep at the desk; though I see quite a bit of confusion happening at lounge entrances for the first part of next year.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Definitely a clear downgrade to me for both cards (plat + reserve) I'm holding:
- The additional benefit cannot offset the loss of 20k / 30k miles when reaching the spending thresholds.
- Centurion lounges are rare and always filled with crowd.
- I've already got plenty of cards that can reimburse global entry.
- DM can choose to have annual guest pass to take up to two guests as a gift. The additional pass is worthless unless traveling with a big group.
- The increased rebate rate is under question given the increment of AF. e.g. for DL plat card to offset the $55 increment of AF we need to spend 55 / 0.01 / 1.2 ~= 4583 (given 1 mile is worth 1.2 cents) more on air tickets, hotels and restaurants. For reserve card the increment is 100 / 0.01 / 1.2 ~= 8333 solely on air tickets!
Old Sep 30, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
That's true. But for me personally it's effectively a dupe as I've used the restaurant benefit a grand total of once (at PDX) and don't frequent the airports/terminals where restaurants are the main PP benefit.

Another nugget I just noticed, for Reserve, bringing a guest to the SC now costs $50 (if you're not using one of the two guest passes, I assume). That's a big hit vs. the $29 it previously cost and ironically a bigger increase than the lower tier cards.
That's the guest fee for the Centurion Lounges - guest fee for the SC is $39

I will say I have paid a few guest entry fees for the SkyClub this year, so I would get some use out of those guest passes...
Old Sep 30, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite

Guest access on the Reserve is going to to $39.

https://news.delta.com/consumers-bus...-express-cards

Fortunately I only bring guests into the club around 8 times a year, so this is a wash for me given the 2 guest passes. But it certainly will be a devaluation for cardmembers who travel with their families more often than I do.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by COYG
Definitely a clear downgrade to me for both cards (plat + reserve) I'm holding:
- The additional benefit cannot offset the loss of 20k / 30k miles when reaching the spending thresholds.
- Centurion lounges are rare and always filled with crowd.
- I've already got plenty of cards that can reimburse global entry.
- DM can choose to have annual guest pass to take up to two guests as a gift. The additional pass is worthless unless traveling with a big group.
- The increased rebate rate is under question given the increment of AF. e.g. for DL plat card to offset the $55 increment of AF we need to spend 55 / 0.01 / 1.2 ~= 4583 (given 1 mile is worth 1.2 cents) more on air tickets, hotels and restaurants. For reserve card the increment is 100 / 0.01 / 1.2 ~= 8333 solely on air tickets!
While I agree with the general sentiment (especially the removal of the RDMs from Miles Boosts), for the last two consider that:
1. Not all DMs choose the guest pass or only choose it to get their spouse in a couple times a year (yes, I know this is a silly value prop, but it absolutely happens). I fall into the former category and pay the guest fee for Mrs. Lee 2-3x/year, so the guest passes do have real value for me.
2. Many people who hold DL Plat/Reserve cards naturally spend this much on DL tickets each year, and probably on those cards.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: delta, marriott
As typically earn DM the painful way-- domestic flights every week and they are all master billed via corporate, I don't think I can justify keeping the Amex DL Reserve. Will wait to confirm that 2020 DM include choosing lounge access and choose as a benefit. I save miles to fly international, but its mostly to SE Asia, so end up leveraging Marriott or Amex points to book most of those flights... think will stick with my CSR, Amex Gold to maximize Restaurants/Groceries 4x Amex Points and use CSR for the non-DL travel.. I travel so much for work that using the companion tix for domestic travel goes un-used some years as the last think I want to do on my non-travel days is get on a plane.

Am I missing anything of value other than lounge access which I can get via DM status? (And just renewed GE a few mos ago)... Am at a loss with what value the DL Reserve card holds. Sorry Amex, planning to cancel..
Old Sep 30, 2019, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Yeah, similar thoughts to all. I personally don't have any issues using the vanilla Plat credits (Uber, Saks, airline) but I know many others do for a variety of reasons.
Has the Uber credit calmed down from when it seemed like Uber was trying as hard as possible to make it unusable without getting sued? (Something about only rides over/under $15 would count, etc.) I had also jumped ship to Lyft for a number of reasons, which is another bar there..

For Centurion - it's interesting that the payment can be on ANY Amex. So while that rules out CSR/UR, if you want to earn MR instead via a vanilla Gold or something, you could do that but still use the Reserve for Cent access.
True, but the only Amex really worth putting airfare on is the vanilla Plat so...

(I guess 3xMR is better than 3xSM)

The Delta-only requirement makes sense since it's a Delta cc, but at the same time the Centurion Lounge profile is pretty exclusive with Delta hubs and focus cities, and of course the first case I think of where I travel a lot (SFO) it's behind a different checkpoint and the SC is already very nice. But invariably the SCs are going to be better situated for Delta flights and gates anyway, so it seems like it's going to be a niche benefit depending on travel patterns. Which I guess makes sense -- won't cost Amex too much.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
I'll cancel my Delta cards because of redundant benefits with my wife's Platinum Amex, the higher fee, and loss of the RDM. I can see how a frequent Delta Flyer with high spend might keep it for platinum from spend on one card though. It's not just for me anymore.

The business card also now lets you get on the upgrade list without status. So you can be 40th for 2 seats out of DTW if you want. :-)
Link from email: https://skymilescreditcards.delta.co...POP_DELTA_BRES

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.