CDG or AMS transit

Old Sep 29, 19, 8:11 am
Original Poster

CDG or AMS transit

Last time I transitted in AMS (ATL - AMS-Genoa) it s*cked! this was about 2 years ago. These days, would you say it is better to transit thru CDG or AMS for a US to Venice flight?
Old Sep 29, 19, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by suec1 View Post
Last time I transitted in AMS (ATL - AMS-Genoa) it s*cked! this was about 2 years ago. These days, would you say it is better to transit thru CDG or AMS for a US to Venice flight?
If you are a non-European, go for AMS as the customs are easier for non-EU citizens than for EU-citizens..

But if you think that you'll miss your connection, go for CDG as there is more VCE flights than AMS (6 vs 4).
Old Sep 29, 19, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Coder33 View Post
If you are a non-European, go for AMS as the customs are easier for non-EU citizens than for EU-citizens..

But if you think that you'll miss your connection, go for CDG as there is more VCE flights than AMS (6 vs 4).
???
Old Sep 29, 19, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
???

I've been transiting a lot lately through AMS and my non-EU colleagues are able to use the old booths with real policeman in it, while for me, I always have to use the Parafe machine who aren't working at all !

Usually, there is 3 or 4 lines for non-Eu citizens against one big line for EU-ci who lead to 5/6 Parafe.

It's going faster for them !
Old Sep 29, 19, 8:38 am

Programs: Delta 2M DM
At CDG, Venice flights depart from 2F, flights from the US arrive at 2E. Count on needing at least 30 min. At AMS it is usually a lot quicker.
jalves and emrdoc like this.
Old Sep 29, 19, 11:17 am

Programs: aegean gold , klm explorer
Originally Posted by Coder33 View Post
I've been transiting a lot lately through AMS and my non-EU colleagues are able to use the old booths with real policeman in it, while for me, I always have to use the Parafe machine who aren't working at all !

Usually, there is 3 or 4 lines for non-Eu citizens against one big line for EU-ci who lead to 5/6 Parafe.

It's going faster for them !
You are free to que for the normal guys, just flash an Id card at the line splitters if they won't let you (which they will, they don't give a .... realy) .

That said, the machines are waaaay faster if there's a que.
Old Sep 29, 19, 11:30 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
AMS is the better place to connect. Yes, the passport control lines can be long, but it's a lot easier than CDG will be. In AMS, you simply need to clear passport control to enter the Schengen Zone; besides that, you're walking from gate to gate. In CDG, you may have to take a train (depending on which part of terminal 2E your flight arrives in), then you will have to clear both passport control and security. In AMS, you do not need to reclear security to make your connection. That alone puts AMS as better than CDG in my book, never mind the fact that you're guaranteed to be able to walk from gate to gate.
ryw and lamprey like this.
Old Sep 29, 19, 11:34 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Amsterdam is generally considered to be easier to transit, particularly when coming from a ‘clean’ destination that doesn’t require security re-screening
Old Sep 29, 19, 12:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by suec1 View Post
Would you be connecting onto AF/KLM or AZ? That could make a difference.

Also, can we assume that you'll be flying coach without status, so you can't use SkyPriority lines?
Old Sep 29, 19, 2:33 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, million miler
I just transferred at AMS last week. Easy going to the US as they let everyone use the automated lines. A nightmare transferring from US to Munich. Only let EU citizens use automated lines while we had to wait in super long lines for the manned passport control. they need to have more people at the manual lines.
Old Sep 29, 19, 3:08 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
AMS is easier, and US can use the automated lines, at least leaving the EU. A little less walking, and new KLM 52 lounge (never been yet!)
Old Sep 29, 19, 3:40 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum, AS MVP75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire
AMS hands down.
Old Sep 29, 19, 4:10 pm

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, AA, UA, BA, Hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer View Post
AMS is the better place to connect. Yes, the passport control lines can be long, but it's a lot easier than CDG will be. In AMS, you simply need to clear passport control to enter the Schengen Zone; besides that, you're walking from gate to gate. In CDG, you may have to take a train (depending on which part of terminal 2E your flight arrives in), then you will have to clear both passport control and security. In AMS, you do not need to reclear security to make your connection. That alone puts AMS as better than CDG in my book, never mind the fact that you're guaranteed to be able to walk from gate to gate.
This. The extra security clearance at CDG is a PIA.
NWplatinum and lamprey like this.
Old Sep 29, 19, 6:41 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
The FREE Clarin facial is a big + for CDG...
Old Sep 30, 19, 5:05 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
At least half of my TATL flights into CDG ended up parking at a remote stand requiring a lurching and sometimes long bus ride. I have never had this happen in AMS except for flights involving regional jets.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: