Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LIM-ATL-CHA all on DL, separate tix

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2019, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

LIM-ATL-CHA all on DL, separate tix

Quick question. Daughter flying back from LIM on LIM-ATL ticket. Have separate ticket on Delta from ATL-CHA ( 3 hour layover). Once she collects bag that she checked at LIM, where does she get it re-tagged for the ATL-CHA flight? At check-in back in at domestic terminal correct?
Thanks!
Old Sep 27, 2019, 6:43 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by stan1162
Quick question. Daughter flying back from LIM on LIM-ATL ticket. Have separate ticket on Delta from ATL-CHA ( 3 hour layover). Once she collects bag that she checked at LIM, where does she get it re-tagged for the ATL-CHA flight? At check-in back in at domestic terminal correct?
Thanks!
She should show the Lima staff her CHA ticket, and they should check the bag through to CHA.

She still needs to claim the bag at Atlanta, after immigration but before customs. She'll pass through customs with the checked bag, and immediately following there are a line of baggage counters where they will take the bag (already labelled to CHA). She can then pass through TSA and into either concourse E or F, and then go to her gate. No need to go landside at any point, or to the D terminal.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!

Originally Posted by ekozie
She should show the Lima staff her CHA ticket, and they should check the bag through to CHA.

She still needs to claim the bag at Atlanta, after immigration but before customs. She'll pass through customs with the checked bag, and immediately following there are a line of baggage counters where they will take the bag (already labelled to CHA). She can then pass through TSA and into either concourse E or F, and then go to her gate. No need to go landside at any point, or to the D terminal.
Thanks for the quick reply! She just hiked Machu Picchu and I think altitude has her not thinking clearly....
Old Sep 27, 2019, 7:46 pm

She could walk to CHA in less than 3 hours :-)
Old Sep 28, 2019, 5:42 am
Original Poster

You are right!

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
She could walk to CHA in less than 3 hours :-)
She lives in Chatt. The drive to ATL for her flight out( at rush hour) in Atlanta traffic was not her idea of fun. And then driving home after landing in ATL after her night flight from LIM wasn't appealing as well. Plus, her friend from MEM went with her, and she also had a 2-3 hour layover before her flight back to MEM so they are hanging together. I told her the same thing btw. It was over the phone, so I couldn't see the eyeball roll.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
If for some quirky reason the bags are only checked to ATL then the bags will go to F customs. This is important to understand if the pax arrives in E. With bags tagged to ATL, the pax walks to F (follow signs for ATL bound pax). If tagged to CHA the bags will be in the same concourse (E or F) and the pax does not take the walk to F (they follow signs for connecting pax).

I would suggest OP's wife check carefully where the bags are tagged to else they could lose them in ATL.

Also, if the bags are checked to ATL then once claimed and exiting customs they are groundside at the international terminal. Do NOT try to go to domestic terminal from there. Instead check in for the CHA flight in the International terminal.

Last edited by exwannabe; Sep 28, 2019 at 11:22 am
Old Sep 28, 2019, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Thank you very much

Originally Posted by exwannabe
If for some quirky reason the bags are only checked to ATL then the bags will go to F customs. This is important to understand if the pax arrives in E. With bags tagged to ATL, the pax walks to F (follow signs for ATL bound pax). If tagged to CHA the bags will be in the same concourse (E or F) and the pax does not take the walk to F (they follow signs for connecting pax).

I would suggest OP's wife check carefully where the bags are tagged to else they could lose them in ATL.

Also, if the bags are checked to ATL then once claimed and exiting customs they are groundside at the international terminal. Do NOT try to go to domestic terminal from there. Instead check in for the CHA flight in the International terminal.
Thanks for the extra details. Daughters flight is tonight, I've forwarded her all this information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.