Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta / LATAM Partnership (Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta / LATAM Partnership (Consolidated Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2022, 7:53 pm
DIM

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
It’s not working at all: terrible experience on LA being DL Diamond

First time flying LATAM JKF-GRU-JFK, Delta Diamond here, ticket was purchased with LA, economy.
Terrible experience.

- LATAM app/website is not giving an option to choose any seat for free (FF# was added). Called LATAM call center, was told “you need to do it in the airport, no chance to do it in advance in our system”.
- LATAM app/website wants to charge you for a luggage ($90 for a first pc); call center was unable to confirm until the very last moment, will 1 peace of luggage will be free or not as for DL Diamond. Told me to call Delta 🤯
- 24 hrs before the flight. During the check in, system gave me the worst seat (the very last row in the middle) despite it was a lot free seats on the screen - but any manual change need be paid. One more call to LATAM - was told “check in staff in JFK will change it for you, we can not”.
- On a check in in JFK they took 1 suitcase for free (bingo). But flight was full, so - “keep the seat which you already have”.
- Same story before the flight from GRU.
No chance to choose the seat in advance for free. No chance to change the bad seat in the airport - as flight is full. The only benefit - they check the luggage in a separate room for their top tier frequent flyers,
the entrance is from the street, you are not going to the lane inside the airport.
Denied to check the luggage to my final destination (short connection, separate PNR with DL from JFK).

It seems like just one useful benefit DL Diamond status can give you while flying LATAM is free peace of luggage and a check in on a business desk in JFK and in a special booth in GRU. Seat selection does not work; no one has any information in advance 😳
Old Jul 13, 2022, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by DIM
First time flying LATAM JKF-GRU-JFK, Delta Diamond here, ticket was purchased with LA, economy.
Terrible experience.

- LATAM app/website is not giving an option to choose any seat for free (FF# was added). Called LATAM call center, was told “you need to do it in the airport, no chance to do it in advance in our system”.
- LATAM app/website wants to charge you for a luggage ($90 for a first pc); call center was unable to confirm until the very last moment, will 1 peace of luggage will be free or not as for DL Diamond. Told me to call Delta 🤯
- 24 hrs before the flight. During the check in, system gave me the worst seat (the very last row in the middle) despite it was a lot free seats on the screen - but any manual change need be paid. One more call to LATAM - was told “check in staff in JFK will change it for you, we can not”.
- On a check in in JFK they took 1 suitcase for free (bingo). But flight was full, so - “keep the seat which you already have”.
No chance to choose the seat in advance for free. No chance to change the bad seat in the airport - as flight is full. The only benefit - they check the luggage in a separate room for their top tier frequent flyers,
the entrance is from the street, you are not going to the lane inside the airport.
Denied to check the luggage to my final destination (short connection, separate PNR with DL from JFK).

It seems like just one useful benefit DL Diamond status can give you while flying LATAM is free peace of luggage and a check in on a business desk in JFK and in a special booth in GRU. Seat selection does not work; no one has any information in advance 😳
Did you by any chance purchase the ticket in a version of discounted economy? Those may indeed have fees for seats.

I've bought several tickets with LATAM, one via Delta with DL codes and another one directly with LATAM for domestic flights. There was a hiccup to reserve seats on a DL-coded Latam flight, but a Facebook rep quickly resolved it and booked the seats. The LATAM tickets on domestic flights allowed me to choose any seat for free...
Old Jul 14, 2022, 8:45 am
DIM

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by smartytravel
Did you by any chance purchase the ticket in a version of discounted economy? Those may indeed have fees for seats.

I've bought several tickets with LATAM, one via Delta with DL codes and another one directly with LATAM for domestic flights. There was a hiccup to reserve seats on a DL-coded Latam flight, but a Facebook rep quickly resolved it and booked the seats. The LATAM tickets on domestic flights allowed me to choose any seat for free...
Thank you for the idea about Facebook, but how you contacted them on Facebook? I just called - and it was long and Rep was not helpful at all; he even does not hear about DL Diamond benefits while flying LATAM.
Nope, it was regular economy, but their app wanted me to pay for any seat choice despite DL FF# was in the system.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by DIM
Thank you for the idea about Facebook, but how you contacted them on Facebook? I just called - and it was long and Rep was not helpful at all; he even does not hear about DL Diamond benefits while flying LATAM.
Nope, it was regular economy, but their app wanted me to pay for any seat choice despite DL FF# was in the system.
I Asked them to reserve seats with extra space for me. they incorrectly told me it was not possible to reserve, and i would need to wait until checkin.

So i asked them for another set of seats, which i knew, based on seatguru, were just regular seats. They reserved and there was no further problem. The seat reservation stuck.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 4:37 pm

Programs: SkyMiles, United
Are Basic Fares on LATAM still giving Delta Gold benefits?
Old Sep 30, 2022, 7:39 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
https://news.delta.com/delta-and-lat...cting-americas

USDOT gives final approval for the JV and ATI.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 7:01 pm

Programs: TK Elite+, DL Plat, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Spire, IC Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Better to book a LATAM flight or a “Delta” flight operated by LATAM?

I am a DL Plat looking to buy a JFK-SCL-JFK ticket in J (cash). Direct from LATAM the ticket is $3100. From DL it’s $3300.

Any particular reason to buy the ticket from DL or from LATAM? I’m having trouble figuring out exactly how many SM and MQMs I’ll earn if I buy from LATAM. Should I just forget the exact loyalty earnings and save myself the $200?
Old Oct 29, 2022, 10:57 am

I bought a ticket ATL-GRU on LATAM website. The flight is operated by Delta. Anyway, I can update this ticket to Business class with miles, either Delta miles or LATAM Pass?
Old Oct 30, 2022, 9:42 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Lounge access at SCL for DL Plat?

I have an upcoming flight on LA, SCL-LIM in Y. I am DL Plat and I have Priority Pass. Not sure if I will have access to the Latam lounge at SCL? If I don't, is the "Skyteam lounge" comparable to the LATAM lounge? Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 8:53 pm

Anyone have luck upgrading a Delta-redeemed LATAM economy award to LATAM business class using LATAM upgrade coupons?
Old Nov 4, 2022, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by mediator
I have an upcoming flight on LA, SCL-LIM in Y. I am DL Plat and I have Priority Pass. Not sure if I will have access to the Latam lounge at SCL? If I don't, is the "Skyteam lounge" comparable to the LATAM lounge? Thanks in advance.
You should get the nicest of the LA lounges - there are 3. https://www.latamairlines.com/us/en/...irport-lounges

The Skyteam lounge is pleasant but doesn't compare to the new LATAM lounges.
SUPERTRAVEL and mediator like this.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by DIM
Terrible experience.

anyone know if this type of stuff is still happening to DL Platinums or have the kinks been worked out?
Old Jan 3, 2023, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by deltatrav
anyone know if this type of stuff is still happening to DL Platinums or have the kinks been worked out?
GM here. I recently flew a domestic flight on LATAM, and had a very nice experience. I was able to select a seat promptly upon purchasing the ticket in front of the plane, had a group 2 boarding group, and a piece of free luggage. Everyone was super cordial and my travel peeps also has group 2 boarding.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Lots of LA experience, only one trip as a PM. The short haul was in the Y cabin and in a saver Y award code. Preferred (but not best) seat selection after booking. At check-in, I was in Zone 2, companion in Zone 5. At airport, both in Zone 2.

System wanted to charge me for luggage, even on a premium J segment. At airport, not an issue.

Note - LA will not check bags through on separate PNRs for anyone, except perhaps under extra special circumstances that are kept in a special safe at Pudahuel. They didn't do it for a OW premium pax (as part of OW), they don't do it now, and it causes quite a bit of tsuris.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 3:53 pm

Do DL elites (diamond here) get Latam+ seats on longhaul?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.