Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta / LATAM Partnership (Consolidated Thread)

Delta / LATAM Partnership (Consolidated Thread)

Old Oct 13, 2019, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Not only that, but ATL-SCL-IPC-PPT-LAX-ATL is now possible with Skymiles... what a fun itinerary that would be, if they don't charge a fortune for it!

Great Circle Mapper

I would be surprised if they ever join ST. Has there been any indication they will?
So far LATAM doesn't allow multi-city on award tickets. Just got to be RT (on international flights). Maybe in a future they change that
Old Oct 13, 2019, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Sonny84
So far LATAM doesn't allow multi-city on award tickets. Just got to be RT (on international flights). Maybe in a future they change that
What JJ program offer has no bearing on DL issued Skymiles tickets.
CPMaverick and Sonny84 like this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 7:15 pm

Programs: Skymiles Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
What JJ program offer has no bearing on DL issued Skymiles tickets.
LATAM Airlines, for the entire airline group, is LA. JJ is the subsidiary based in Brazil. We should use LA when reference the airline. LA is phasing out the use of JJ on flight numbers.
CPMaverick and Sonny84 like this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Weekend Away
LATAM Airlines, for the entire airline group, is LA. JJ is the subsidiary based in Brazil. We should use LA when reference the airline. LA is phasing out the use of JJ on flight numbers.
All my recent LATAM flights have been sold as JJ when JJ operated and LA when LA operated. They been saying JJ is going away for ages, it hasn't.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 1:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by flyerCO
All my recent LATAM flights have been sold as JJ when JJ operated and LA when LA operated. They been saying JJ is going away for ages, it hasn't.
As a trivial aside, LA is one of the more confusing airline codes (that don't include numbers) in existence because it is also the official abbreviation of a US state, and the unofficial short form of the second largest metro area in the US.
M60_to_LGA likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 5:41 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Luckily for prospective redemption using DL miles, that won't be relevant. Skymiles offers one-way tickets, and so you'll be able to book one-way tickets on LA.

I recently booked a one-way SYD-SCL on LA using AA miles. No problem.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Weekend Away
That's correct... LATAM was always LA.
While TAM (the brazilian) was JJ
Old Oct 14, 2019, 9:28 am

Luckily for prospective redemption using DL miles, that won't be relevant. Skymiles offers one-way tickets, and so you'll be able to book one-way tickets on LA.

I recently booked a one-way SYD-SCL on LA using AA miles. No problem.
I understand... It's the same using Avios from BAEC.
But since this DL purchase I'm not quite sure if they will allow them on DL awards.
Let's see... Maybe this could be a push to allow one-way tickets for every ally program 🤞🏼
Because otherwise LATAM will loose lot of their FF who will move to Delta's.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
That's correct... LATAM was always LA.
While TAM (the brazilian) was JJ
Lan Chile was always LA. The other LANs eventually (mostly) switched from their earlier codes (i.e., LP) to LA, and have 4 digit flight numbers, with the first digit signifying the carrier (i.e., 1 for Lan Ecuador, 2 for Lan Peru) as they are all separate companies. 4M (Lan Argentina) I believe maintains the 4M, and flight numbers started with a 4 (which I think is ""7" now).

While they all fly the LATAM flag now, they remain separate operating companies managed by the "benevolent overlords" in Chile, which owns (most likely) the maximum foreign investment permitted in each country's LATAM airline.

Until the regulators approve this purchase, and until there are official announcements regarding partnership specifics, I am not concerning myself with any "what ifs."

Kay Syrah Syrah
Old Oct 17, 2019, 5:49 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I understand... It's the same using Avios from BAEC.
But since this DL purchase I'm not quite sure if they will allow them on DL awards.
I'm sure.

I've never seen one airline restrict another FF program's ability to book one-way awards.

If LA didn't restrict BA, AA from doing this I see no reason whatsoever for them to restrict DL from doing so.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I doubt it. DL terminated the DTW-GRU and vv nonstop route a couple years ago, after reducing the frequency (days per week) several times. It's hard to imagine DL restarting that route or branching to smaller airports from DTW nonstop.
Better connecting opportunities this time.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm sure.

I've never seen one airline restrict another FF program's ability to book one-way awards.

If LA didn't restrict BA, AA from doing this I see no reason whatsoever for them to restrict DL from doing so.
DL restricted AS from booking one way awards on DL (back when they were in love). Well, they weren't technically restricted, but the price was the same as a round trip.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Joshua C
Better connecting opportunities this time.
I'd expect a JV to take advantage of the lower labor and other operating costs of the more "efficient" carrier. Given the current relative weakness of South American currencies, DL wouldn't necessarily be flying the aircraft. If you go back to when the CLP was in the $400s to US $1 and the BRL was about $1.60 to US $1, you might have the reverse. (Right now they are at $700+ and $4+, respectively, but will eventually swing the other way.)
Old Oct 23, 2019, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I'd expect a JV to take advantage of the lower labor and other operating costs of the more "efficient" carrier. Given the current relative weakness of South American currencies, DL wouldn't necessarily be flying the aircraft. If you go back to when the CLP was in the $400s to US $1 and the BRL was about $1.60 to US $1, you might have the reverse. (Right now they are at $700+ and $4+, respectively, but will eventually swing the other way.)
DL pilot union will have a say in how much flying is LATAM vs Delta. $ will only play a small portion.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I doubt it. DL terminated the DTW-GRU and vv nonstop route a couple years ago, after reducing the frequency (days per week) several times. It's hard to imagine DL restarting that route or branching to smaller airports from DTW nonstop.
DTW-GRU hasn't been that long—it was still operating last November at least. But, I'd always heard rumblings it was kept alive by cargo, and that drying up led to it getting axed, so I'd be surprised to see it come back up. Load factors were never that great.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.