Delta buying 20% stake in LATAM

Old Sep 26, 19, 3:55 pm

Wow. DL has their deal with WS pending government approval, their deal with AM already in place, and now in the near future a deal with LATAM (LA I think?) They are going to be a force to be reckoned with from Labrador to Tierra del Fuego
jrkmsp likes this.
Old Sep 26, 19, 4:10 pm

Programs: DL DM
I would think this would be good news for MCO and South American flights. LATAM already has flights to GRU and LIM. Maybe this will bring EZE and SCL on for the full year?
Old Sep 26, 19, 4:19 pm

Programs: DL, BA
Originally Posted by SDQBound View Post
As someone traveling to Latin America often and having to rely on AA poor operations, these are great news.
Agreed. I think AA has the only non-stop on the way down, but I've been delayed in DFW every time on the return (don't think there are any non-stops headed back). I'll have to see if LAX-LIM-EZE or some other routing works better.
Old Sep 26, 19, 5:14 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Wow! Glad I redeemed SYD-SCL J on LATAM using AA miles for 2020 already... who knows what DL will charge for those seats.
Old Sep 26, 19, 5:35 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PP
This seems like a pretty huge announcement, although the markets don't seem to have reacted much yet. Further proof that Delta is attempting to remake SkyTeam in their image.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Sep 26, 19, 6:12 pm

Programs: DL GM, AS MVP, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Well, I guess AS about to lose another partner.

DL really did a good job on the surprise factor with this news.

I wonder if this means that DL will bring back nonstop service to S America from DTW and maybe even LAX

Last edited by ab2013; Sep 26, 19 at 6:24 pm
Old Sep 26, 19, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Plat, BA Silver, WN A-, AA LT Gold, IHG S/KIC, NCR EC
Combine this with the recent comments about SkyTeam... Is it realistic that DL would pull itself and it's various JV partners out of SkyTeam and form Deltateam?
Old Sep 26, 19, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by SDQBound View Post
As someone traveling to Latin America often and having to rely on AA poor operations, these are great news.
As someone who had a still-unexplained overnight delay on DL from ATL-EZE last month, I'll take your word for it.

Obviously only anecdotal, but I've had worse luck on DL than AA in terms of delays.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 26, 19, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick View Post
Combine this with the recent comments about SkyTeam... Is it realistic that DL would pull itself and it's various JV partners out of SkyTeam and form Deltateam?
It's interesting that there's no immediate plan for Latam to join Skyteam. But maybe there's some type of clause in AR's accession agreement barring another South American carrier from joining? Latam and AR are sort of competitors for the same business travel market, no? I admit I have no idea how this works, though.

I hope AR doesn't leave Skyteam. I'm considering a trip to Tierra del Fuego next year and would like the miles.

This is pretty stunning. I've been flying Latam (really LAN) for decades, and when I've made AA status in the past it's been due in large part to LAN/Latam metal. They've always been such a huge part of OW, and given that TAM was absorbed into OW after the merger I'd have expected Latam to be OW forever. Pretty trippy.
Old Sep 26, 19, 6:35 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA View Post
It's interesting that there's no immediate plan for Latam to join Skyteam.
Why would they bother? Alliances seem to be dinosaurs these days anyway, airlines are making their own partnerships without regard to their alliances.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Sep 26, 19 at 6:41 pm
Old Sep 26, 19, 7:14 pm

I have to get to EZE and home from SCL in Jan 21 (cruise) looking to get air this spring, so will be watching what the new best way with points will be.
Old Sep 26, 19, 7:16 pm
Suspended

Any chance MIA becomes a focus city like BOS or SEA?
Old Sep 26, 19, 7:16 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA View Post
As someone who had a still-unexplained overnight delay on DL from ATL-EZE last month, I'll take your word for it.

Obviously only anecdotal, but I've had worse luck on DL than AA in terms of delays.
statistically speaking, youíre something like 4x more likely to face a cancellation on AA, and 2x more likely to take a delay. And thatís not anecdotal, thatís DOT statistics.
Old Sep 26, 19, 7:31 pm

Kinda reminiscent of JAL slipping through DL fingers and going back to AA. Payback is a B....

https://www.thestreet.com/story/1062...er-to-jal.html
Old Sep 26, 19, 7:32 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Well seems LATAM would become ST based on the AJC article. Makes sense that it would. AR could stay in ST unless it felt that it needed to be somewhere else. It's such a small airline overall (enjoyed the domestic flights that I did last November to Iguazu Fall (which is a MUST for all and was the most spectacular thing I've ever seen!)

I was just shocked as I read this, but hope it all works out, since it would really improve things. I heard the Santiago DL SC was awful (such a random spot for a international US lounge, wonder how that got set up??), so maybe there's a better LATAM one there.....

Last edited by NOLAnwGOLD; Sep 26, 19 at 8:06 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: