Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AF FA said use 2K + train for M28, red vest stopped me!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AF FA said use 2K + train for M28, red vest stopped me!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2019, 4:57 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5 MM; AS MVP Gold 100K; HHonors Diamond; AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by IggySD
Sure you could. You wouldn’t be able to board your flight from there and would have to re-clear security at T8 but if you wanted to visit T7 for some reason you can.
I've done this at JFK to visit Bobby Van's in Terminal 8. TSA let me know I was in the wrong terminal, but I told them I needed a good steak and they understood that completely.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 5:01 am

Programs: AC P25
Duplicate

Last edited by yytleisure; Sep 27, 2019 at 5:04 am Reason: Oops
Old Sep 27, 2019, 5:03 am

Programs: AC P25
Originally Posted by Xeno
What is clearly a challenge is going through passport control for a connecting flight. So either the scheduled connection times need to increase or let us do passport control at the point of origin regardless of the Eu rules.

This sentence caught me, are you suggesting that eu check your passport in Athens and then let you mingle with domestic (Schengen) passengers For hours before boarding a connection in Paris. Sounds like your frustration is clouding your logic.

IME some airports like to channel you through the one single path to your destination. Others let you roam free through terminals and security as you wish. It may be a law of France, it may be a policy of CDG, it may be an overzealous employee. Or maybe they just thought they were actually helping you.

Seems mountains and mole hills to me
Old Sep 27, 2019, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by yytleisure
This sentence caught me, are you suggesting that eu check your passport in Athens and then let you mingle with domestic (Schengen) passengers For hours before boarding a connection in Paris. Sounds like your frustration is clouding your logic.

IME some airports like to channel you through the one single path to your destination. Others let you roam free through terminals and security as you wish. It may be a law of France, it may be a policy of CDG, it may be an overzealous employee. Or maybe they just thought they were actually helping you.

Seems mountains and mole hills to me
Given these factors, I would then ask that the 5 rows at 2E-M be enlarged to 20 with the corresponding number of agents to manage the crowds.

The EU line and the one that used scanners had few problems and they eventually moved several of us to the EU line.

Remember, my frustration reflected a tight connection, a late flight, and DL telling me if I did not get to the gate I was screwed.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ND76
Somehow I don't recall connecting westbound at CDG to be that terrible. The last time I was there was two years ago, on a WAW-CDG-IAD trip. The flight from WAW parked at a gate in 2F; we followed the signed route and we reached EU passport exit control; we got through that in 90 seconds; there was basically no line. The onward aircraft for IAD was parked at something like K38. We enjoyed the big AF salon in the lower level of the K concourse (the one that looks like a Washington DC Metro station).
Indeed, the EU line and the line with scanners did not put folk as risk but I am certain some around me missed their flight as would I had I not run like my life depended on it.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 8:14 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by SDQBound
When transiting at CDG, ALWAYS follow the signs, they will take you through the most convenient route to your departure gate. I don't see how an AF flight attendant would be in a position to recommend any transit path since they don't even walk around from one concourse to another, they are transported on a mini bus. In your case, following the directions would have sent you to 2E-L through the walkway between 2F and 2E-L and after clearing passport control, you could take the bus to 2M.
Right but ... have you taken this recommended path? It's a complete sh*tshow every morning.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 9:32 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bgriff
Right but ... have you taken this recommended path? It's a complete sh*tshow every morning.
Many times. No issues.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: Skymiles Gold
Originally Posted by gooselee
Wut?

The comment about exit immigration is spot on. The policy you dislike at CDG doesn't exist at USA airports because it is impossible for it to exist - the US has no exit immigration lines at all thus there isn't anything to enforce regarding which passport lines you can and cannot use.
This is about entry immigration, not exit. This is about getting your passport stamped upon entry into France from an international flight. That's all.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 11:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bgriff
OP: One option would be to exit 2F as if you're terminating in Paris, take the landside pedestrian bridges across the highway to 2E-K, and then enter from landside as if you were originating in Paris. The downside to that route is that you would have to reclear security, but no one can stop you from doing it.

(And I'm pretty sure if your original plan had succeeded, you would have had to reclear security when you got off the train at M anyway, because the train is in the international zone but not the secure zone.)

But I agree that the passport control lines for the 2F->2E-L-M checkpoint are always a mess, so personally I'd just give up on them and try the landside route.
IME anything that avoids the CDG exit passport control lines in 2E for with passengers originating at CDG would be better than those horrendous lines.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by Weekend Away
This is about entry immigration, not exit. This is about getting your passport stamped upon entry into France from an international flight. That's all.
The OP was exiting schengen having arrived from EU and departing to US.

What is being discussed is the EXIT immigration that is supposedly a mess in 2E-L/M. [I have no comment on that other than my single transfer that way which was smooth].

There are real reasons why they will restrict access to departure terminals for some. You do not want somebody clearing exit immigration into a departure hall from which they must re-enter the country in order to catch the flight.

In this case though, K/L/M are all one, so no real reason for the police to insist on which one you use.

EDIT: I see you were talking about your case which was different from OP's. So ignore this in that context, but it still holds for earlier posts.
gooselee likes this.

Last edited by exwannabe; Sep 27, 2019 at 12:06 pm
Old Sep 27, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
Originally Posted by Xeno
Given these factors, I would then ask that the 5 rows at 2E-M be enlarged to 20 with the corresponding number of agents to manage the crowds.

The EU line and the one that used scanners had few problems and they eventually moved several of us to the EU line.

Remember, my frustration reflected a tight connection, a late flight, and DL telling me if I did not get to the gate I was screwed.
when asking for more immigration lines you should probably start in ATL. In CDG I haver never seen waiting times like in ATL. The longest queue I have ever seen in CDG was about an hour. ATL can be much worse ... and MCT intl intl is 90 min.

And in CDG you have a SP line
Old Sep 27, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by Weekend Away
I landed in 2E back in January and had an onward connection out of 2F. I wanted to use the better lounges at E but the red vest at passport refused me. It seems you're only allowed entry to the passport lines of the terminal which you are next departing. stupid policy if you ask me.

Neither EWR nor JFK have this policy.
Were you trying to get to the 2E departure lounges? As I understand it, those are ex-Schengen. 2F is Schengen. If you were able to get to the 2E departure hall lounges, you would have to clear customs again to get back in Schengen to depart.

In some airports you could handle this by just acting as an I-I transit and going straight to the lounge w/o any passport control. Then later returning to arrival level to enter the country. But as weird as CDG is, I could see why they would not allow that (even if you tried it).

Last edited by exwannabe; Sep 27, 2019 at 12:30 pm
Old Sep 27, 2019, 12:39 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MarLim
when asking for more immigration lines you should probably start in ATL. In CDG I haver never seen waiting times like in ATL. The longest queue I have ever seen in CDG was about an hour. ATL can be much worse ... and MCT intl intl is 90 min.

I've spent 2+ hours at CDG on the SkyPriority line in the past, when arriving on the early JFK flight (AF23) and before things were streamlined with the new e-gates. It's fair to assume that this is a thing from the past, but from time to time, and especially when school vacation periods are over and not many PAF officers are in the booths.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MarLim

As I said more than once yesterday morning the 2E-M SP line was one of the slowest lines because unlike 2E-K the red vest was overwhelmed and just let people go where they like without being checked.

What is at stake for me is that I may shy away from using CDG on the return and stick with AMS with starting the day at places like ATH.

GE works wonders for me at ATL - although one can be stalled if waiting for luggage - but I wonder if mobile passport line would work for you in ATL or even some of the Kiosks available in the non-USA passport line.

Last edited by Xeno; Sep 27, 2019 at 4:14 pm
Old Sep 27, 2019, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SDQBound
I've spent 2+ hours at CDG on the SkyPriority line in the past, when arriving on the early JFK flight (AF23) and before things were streamlined with the new e-gates. It's fair to assume that this is a thing from the past, but from time to time, and especially when school vacation periods are over and not many PAF officers are in the booths.
What is the story with the e-gates at 2E-M? I could never get the attention of the black suit agent to ask what passports could use that line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.