FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   FA gave me hug and 15,000 miles after meal choice ran out (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1988911-fa-gave-me-hug-15-000-miles-after-meal-choice-ran-out.html)

Adelphos Sep 26, 2019 8:54 am

FA gave me hug and 15,000 miles after meal choice ran out

Preselected a meal for today’s flight, they ran out due to a miscalculation. FA profusely apologized, I was happy to accept the alternate choice. FA said she “loved” me for being understanding, asked to give me a hug, I accepted (young and easy on the eyes, so why not). She also gave me 15000 SkyPesos as comp. Outstanding service from Delta. Keep it up

irishguy28 Sep 26, 2019 8:55 am

Good to see you're flying the friendly skies!

MSPeconomist Sep 26, 2019 8:58 am

The hug seems inappropriate in general, but of course I didn't see it, nor see the FA and the passenger.

ijgordon Sep 26, 2019 8:58 am

Hmm, seems a little inappropriate (especially if genders were reversed), but at least she asked!

But do tell on this "miscalculation"? Was it the FA's miscalculation, or did catering not send enough crab cakes for all the people that pre-ordered crab cakes?

Adelphos Sep 26, 2019 9:00 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 31565954)
Hmm, seems a little inappropriate (especially if genders were reversed), but at least she asked!

But do tell on this "miscalculation"? Was it the FA's miscalculation, or did catering not send enough crab cakes for all the people that pre-ordered crab cakes?

FA made it sound like it was her miscalculation.

She asked “May I give you a hug,” so no issue IMO. She seems new, so I guess she was nervous about the issue. So I probably made her at ease

fliesdelta Sep 26, 2019 9:03 am

Hugs are always good, and the FA asked first, so I don't see anything wrong.

Overall, we all need more hugs.

kop84 Sep 26, 2019 9:15 am

I cannot imagine the abuse that some FA's have taken if they've been on the job a few years. Especially over things that are beyond their control. Certainly they don't have anything to do with the catering and I imagine they have been blown up at a time or 12! So some general human compassion is probably the exception rather than the rule. Good on you for being a decent person.

manacit Sep 26, 2019 9:24 am

Times like these are when DL does a really good job of building real brand loyalty by creating positive sentiment about the brand, and it works!

Recently had a very very nice agent over the phone end up making a fairly large ticket change an even exchange (saving me ~$500) due to problems with the KLM side of the ticket purely because I was polite, and it had been an hour of working with KLM to see what they could do. Annoying, but I walked away feeling happy about it all and not annoyed in the slightest.

SDQBound Sep 26, 2019 9:43 am

We had a similar issue last year on a BOG-ATL flight (no pre-selected meal at that time but the FA miscalculated) and were offered 15K miles. On the next flight (ATL-DCA) the FA apologized to us for the issue we had on the previous flight (we even forgot about it by that time). Seems like they are paying attention to these minor issues and focusing on compensating right away.

eneq Sep 26, 2019 10:19 am

deleted

sonkie23 Sep 26, 2019 10:24 am

I was in a Delta One seat from JFK to SEA on early morning flight the other day. The lights over my seat wouldn't turn off. All of them. Maintenance tried to fix it but nothing they could do. So I paid for a nice lie-flat seat with bright lights shining in my eyes for 6 hours. They gave me 500 sky miles which is effectively zero.

15k sounds pretty good for a second choice meal.

nrr Sep 26, 2019 10:43 am

Originally Posted by sonkie23 (Post 31566231)
I was in a Delta One seat from JFK to SEA on early morning flight the other day. The lights over my seat wouldn't turn off. All of them. Maintenance tried to fix it but nothing they could do. So I paid for a nice lie-flat seat with bright lights shining in my eyes for 6 hours. They gave me 500 sky miles which is effectively zero.

15k sounds pretty good for a second choice meal.

Couldn’t MASKING TAPE and some opaque material been a “sort of” fix?

Billy Mumphrey Sep 26, 2019 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Adelphos (Post 31565935)
Preselected a meal for today’s flight, they ran out due to a miscalculation. FA profusely apologized, I was happy to accept the alternate choice. FA said she “loved” me for being understanding, asked to give me a hug, I accepted (young and easy on the eyes, so why not). She also gave me 15000 SkyPesos as comp. Outstanding service from Delta. Keep it up

I would've settled for just the hug.

nrr Sep 26, 2019 10:49 am

When I flew AA in FC many of their pre-selected meals were just mediocre choices for me; the for pay “stuff” in Y was better IMHO, they would give it to me for free. Does DL allow this?

MSPeconomist Sep 26, 2019 11:26 am

Originally Posted by nrr (Post 31566286)
Couldn’t MASKING TAPE and some opaque material been a “sort of” fix?

Doesn't everyone travel with eye shades, for example from a previous D1 amenity kit?