"You're #1 on the waitlist"

Old Sep 26, 2019, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: United-1K, Marriott-Titanium Ambassador, Hyatt-Globalist
"You're #1 on the waitlist"

Hey folks

Just looking for a quick answer. If I use a RUC and the agent on the phone says "You're #1 on the waitlist" there's no way for me to not be #1 on the upgrade list right?

I used a RUC and I checked this morning and I'm #2 on the list.

Could it be someone burning a GUC?
Old Sep 26, 2019, 8:17 am

Diamond trumps Platinum. What is your status? Or maybe another RUC with a higher fare class than you?
Old Sep 26, 2019, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle;[url=tel:31565760
31565760[/url]]Diamond trumps Platinum. What is your status? Or maybe another RUC with a higher fare class than you?
I'm a Diamond and already got Diamond for next year. I'm on a mixture of Y and U for the trip. This one is a Y
Old Sep 26, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
Originally Posted by CloneCones
Hey folks

Just looking for a quick answer. If I use a RUC and the agent on the phone says "You're #1 on the waitlist" there's no way for me to not be #1 on the upgrade list right?

Yes, The person can "burn" a GUC (only for this flight or having an intl flight before or after).
Old Sep 26, 2019, 8:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm a Diamond and already got Diamond for next year. I'm on a mixture of Y and U for the trip. This one is a Y
Do you have the Reserve card? Was your trip booked under a corporate caravel contract? These are additional tie breakers beyond status and fare class.

Between being # 1 on the waitlist and the upgrade list, additional customers could also have purchased tickets for the flight or could have SDCed onto it.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 8:47 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
There is an AMEX card which puts cardholder at the top of upg list (within Medallion level).
Old Sep 26, 2019, 8:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by nrr
There is an AMEX card which puts cardholder at the top of upg list (within Medallion level).
Yes, the DL Reserve card that I mentioned in my post right above yours.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 9:11 am

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL PM 1MM
360 could have used an RUC too.
Or someone used a GUC,not necessarily burning it when it's connecting to an international leg.

if you don't get the upgrade you won't loose your RUC so apart from you being disappointed it doesn't hurt to apply the RUC I think?
Old Sep 26, 2019, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Well the seats are gone now anyway must've sold the upgrade. 0/5 on attempting to use a RUC. God these are worth less
Old Sep 26, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: Delta DM / 4MM; HHonors Diamond
I've been 3 for 3 with RUC this year and 3 for 5 on GUC. So, it is possible. Just gotta know when to play that card.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 7:34 pm

Hey folks

could be a distressed traveler in IROPs or just a regular guy with a paid ticket and no seat selected.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 7:48 pm

Programs: DL DM
Perhaps I've mis-read, but from the GUC thread, I'd gleaned that a RUC and a GUC sit at the same priority, and a GUC doesn't trump a RUC?
TheHorta likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 9:55 pm

Well the seats are gone now anyway must've sold the upgrade. 0/5 on attempting to use a RUC. God these are worth less
I am starting to feel like people say this only because everyone else says this. I have made DM in 2016, 2017, 2018, and this year I have already qualified for PM and will hit DM for 2020 sometime in early November. Since 99.9% of my flights are domestic USA, I select the 4 RUCs for PM each year and the 8 RUCs for DM. I have never had one expire, and I have never used one for a shorter flight than PDX-ATL, or maybe DTW-PDX.

I find that I have to waitlist around 75% of the time, but the waitlisted ones probably clear 90% of the time when there is > 0 first class seats remaining.

So, y'all just go on thinking that they're useless. More upgrades for me!
Old Sep 26, 2019, 11:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
So, y'all just go on thinking that they're useless. More upgrades for me!
agreed. first year as PM and successfully used all 4 of my RUCs. All of them cleared before the gate too, including two to Hawaii.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 6:10 am

I use mine as +1. In doing so I only need 2 trips to clear in one year to burn 4 RUCs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.