Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Say hello to the new Delta-standard boarding podium

Old Sep 25, 19, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2 Million Miler/Diamond; UA 1K Premier; Hyatt Platinum; Hilton Gold; National Executive Elite

After months of testing and several designs, this will be the new Delta gate podium going forward. 4 installed at the DL gates at GEG. These also include new overhead LCD screens in seating areas and a display over the boarding door.

The new DL-standard boarding podium and signage installed at Delta's 4 gates in Spokane
Old Sep 25, 19, 10:09 pm

Programs: DL KM, AS, Bonvoy Gold, RHG Gold, Hilton Silver, Natl EE, Avis PC, Greyhound Road Rewards
Looks nice. I'm always concerned that white and light colors will get dirty too quickly.

-J.
Old Sep 25, 19, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does anyone else not really care what the gate podium looks like?
Old Sep 25, 19, 10:17 pm

Programs: DL KM, AS, Bonvoy Gold, RHG Gold, Hilton Silver, Natl EE, Avis PC, Greyhound Road Rewards
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
Does anyone else not really care what the gate podium looks like?
I suppose it doesn't really matter. I would care if it were painted neon green and orange!

Actually I wouldn't.

-J.
nancypants and ijgordon like this.
Old Sep 25, 19, 10:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I sure hope the screen shows what zone is currently boarding. Beyond that if it's clear and legible and not too worn/depressing/ugly, I don't care what it looks like, but I'm sure DL wants to use it for branding and marking their territory.

I'm surprised it doesn't say SkySomething somewhere since SkyX almost seems to be a DL trademark. SkyTerminal? SkyGate?
strickerj and nancypants like this.
Old Sep 25, 19, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2 Million Miler/Diamond; UA 1K Premier; Hyatt Platinum; Hilton Gold; National Executive Elite
The screen above the boarding does show zone as do the LCD's above seating areas, like previously.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I sure hope the screen shows what zone is currently boarding. Beyond that if it's clear and legible and not too worn/depressing/ugly, I don't care what it looks like, but I'm sure DL wants to use it for branding and marking their territory.

I'm surprised it doesn't say SkySomething somewhere since SkyX almost seems to be a DL trademark. SkyTerminal? SkyGate?
Old Sep 25, 19, 10:57 pm

Programs: DL PM
There are a few of these in SLC already.
hi55us likes this.
Old Sep 25, 19, 11:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by n7371f View Post
The screen above the boarding does show zone as do the LCD's above seating areas, like previously.
OK; it just says On Time in the picture.

BTW, why GEG for an early implementation? Were the DL gates in desperate need of remodeling or did DL swap gates? I'm almost surprised that GEG doesn't go shared use gates for all airlines like many smaller airports.
Old Sep 25, 19, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

GEG only has a handful of common use gates. DL leases for 4 gates exclusively. Previously they had their enormous podium structures at 2 of the gates, no podium at a 3rd & used a former US Airways/AA backdrop for the 4th. The airport also asked DL to increase the space for passengers, which these new ones do. Not sure how GEG got them other than the decision was made to go with this style and Airport Ops was aware of the need to brand their GEG gates at roughly same time.

BTW, why GEG for an early implementation? Were the DL gates in desperate need of remodeling or did DL swap gates? I'm almost surprised that GEG doesn't go shared use gates for all airlines like many smaller airports.
Old Sep 25, 19, 11:45 pm

They have been up in GEG for a while I think, maybe a month or two? They also got new check in desks with a similar look. I don't honestly remember what they looked like before (probably generic gates like United has there), but I think they have 3-4 dedicated gates, they haven't swapped gates anytime recently. They honestly look kind of out of place there.
Old Sep 26, 19, 4:01 am

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by okeyo View Post
Hello
Does the new podium have AI? Delta podium, is that you? Delta podium, should I board or wait for my upgrade?
gooselee, apodo77, hi55us and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 26, 19, 6:22 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition.
It's Delta's time and money, but was this really needed? What was the matter with the old setup?
Old Sep 26, 19, 9:12 am

I sure hope the screen shows what zone is currently boarding...
Exactly! Or otherwise, the gate mobs will still exist.
Old Sep 26, 19, 9:17 am

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I sure hope the screen shows what zone is currently boarding.
Yes! This is one of my biggest frustrations at outstations. The hubs are pretty good about it, but at other airports they don't seem to bother with displaying the boarding zone even when there are screens available.
Old Sep 26, 19, 9:32 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Where are the AF-KL-AZ-VS icons?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: