Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

PSA- DO NOT go to the bathroom on an active runway

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PSA- DO NOT go to the bathroom on an active runway

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2019, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
From anecdotal experience listening to tower radio, this is a surprisingly common occurrence. IME the controllers are rather sympathetic toward what are invariably very annoyed pilots (especially when it's "clear to leave the box and depart... sorry, we have a pax in the lav").
Old Sep 24, 2019, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
This thread gives a whole different meaning to the phrase "We're #2 for takeoff".
Old Sep 24, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Folks, trying not to be too pedantic but these lav visits are occurring on active taxiways, not active runways.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ekozie
Folks, trying not to be too pedantic but these lav visits are occurring on active taxiways, not active runways.
Does it really matter? I was on an AA flight AUS-JFK (Christmas Holiday 1AM departure) that feet above landing a lady got up and went to the lav. It was too late to communicate to pilot to abort the landing. Suffice to say the lady was told she would not be taking her connecting flight. No injury to the lady, just her travel plans changed. OTOH I've been on another flight same circumstances, the crew did have time to tell pilot. We executed a missed approach and then had to hold for another 30 minutes waiting to land again. Not sure what happened to that passenger, but the crew did tell them they would be getting a bill for the extra fuel they had to burn and for any costs for misconnecting passengers.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by mayhem
To taxi back into the sequence they do need to go back in line, which is technically not a slot, but still the same result. I don't see a need for ATC to give that aircraft priority to taxi around the other planes in line (assuming that is even possible). Don't think the pilots have any intention to shame the passenger, they do just want to explain what really happened.
Disclosure: I’m close friends with several ATC in both the tower and ATL TRACON (approach/departure controllers).

This isn’t what happens. The plane is put into the “penalty box” at the end of the runway and then released when the pilot says they’re ready. There isn’t extra taxiing nor is there any “get in the back of the line.” The departure corridor towards GSP isn’t saturated and unless there’s storms, there’s no coordination to let that plane depart.
silverthief2 likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by emma dog
Disclosure: I’m close friends with several ATC in both the tower and ATL TRACON (approach/departure controllers).

This isn’t what happens. The plane is put into the “penalty box” at the end of the runway and then released when the pilot says they’re ready. There isn’t extra taxiing nor is there any “get in the back of the line.” The departure corridor towards GSP isn’t saturated and unless there’s storms, there’s no coordination to let that plane depart.
It's not a penalty box for the sake of a penalty box, this isn't ice hockey. It's a holding position where they can park safely without being in the way of other traffic.
Agree on the slots to GSP, but there are plenty of other flights who do have slot clearances to stick to (e.g., the TATL flights), so they can't jump in front of those, hence they go to the back of the line.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Does it really matter? I was on an AA flight AUS-JFK (Christmas Holiday 1AM departure) that feet above landing a lady got up and went to the lav. It was too late to communicate to pilot to abort the landing. Suffice to say the lady was told she would not be taking her connecting flight. No injury to the lady, just her travel plans changed. OTOH I've been on another flight same circumstances, the crew did have time to tell pilot. We executed a missed approach and then had to hold for another 30 minutes waiting to land again. Not sure what happened to that passenger, but the crew did tell them they would be getting a bill for the extra fuel they had to burn and for any costs for misconnecting passengers.
That would be in IDB claim in one case and sone sort of harassment complaint in the other.

Ppl dont go to lavs to annoy pilots and fellow pax and many have medical conditions too. Considering habits of some pilots to keep seat belt light on for hours i am not surprised things like this happen. Any fa attempt to shame pax should land them in appropriate training.
Loren Pechtel and emrdoc like this.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 3:59 pm

This is why I pop an Imodium pill the morning of any flight I take. I was in a situation once where I didn't think I would make it past takeoff, but hung on. I never want to experience that again. It was terrible.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by azepine00
That would be in IDB claim in one case and sone sort of harassment complaint in the other.

Ppl dont go to lavs to annoy pilots and fellow pax and many have medical conditions too. Considering habits of some pilots to keep seat belt light on for hours i am not surprised things like this happen. Any fa attempt to shame pax should land them in appropriate training.
Well, a passenger in the aisle while the plane is landing (braking) or taking off (accelerating) is likely to be a danger to other passengers, so there probably is justification for denied boarding due to violation of the CoC. A passenger IN the lavatory is only endangering themselves, and probably not really.

That said, I'm certainly sympathetic to real bathroom emergencies (and if it's a chronic medical issue, perhaps the pax should use precautions), especially when, say, you're descending through 5,000 feet and you think you can hold it but the chili has other ideas.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 4:56 pm

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
Do any airlines besides Emirates and Etihad have bathrooms?
Old Sep 24, 2019, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
A passenger IN the lavatory is only endangering themselves, and probably not really.
Exactly.

While it's not ideal to be using the bathroom during taxi/takeoff/landing, it's fine. Trust me. There is literally no data to back up the theory that bathroom use during this time is dangerous. It happens all the time and you don't hear about it mostly because the FAs don't bother calling it into the cockpit.

OP's real beef is not with the bathroom-using passenger (who deserves sympathy, not beef). OP's beef is with the FA and/or pilot who was playing it by-the-book in a manner that was practically unnecessary and caused a delay/inconvenience to the whole plane.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by azepine00
Pretty sure that if a passenger tries to use the bathroom right before landing, the airline could stand firmly behind “failure to follow crew member instructions and observe posted placards and lighted signs”. I’m not saying there aren’t two sides to this, or that I don’t understand “when you gotta go, you gotta go”, especially if you’re sick or have a medical condition, but trying to claim IDB would be quite a stretch.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Pretty sure that if a passenger tries to use the bathroom right before landing, the airline could stand firmly behind “failure to follow crew member instructions and observe posted placards and lighted signs”. I’m not saying there aren’t two sides to this, or that I don’t understand “when you gotta go, you gotta go”, especially if you’re sick or have a medical condition, but trying to claim IDB would be quite a stretch.
Also per FAR passengers need to be seated and belted in. No way to do that in the lav. I agree the response seemed over the top, but airline was still technically in the right to do so.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 6:09 am

stuck on the runway at JFK for 2hrs 25min during which time the pilot gave us updates every few minutes as to our departure time. As we were looking at at least another hour, FA announced that if anyone needed to use the lav, now would be a good time.

After about 15 more minutes, pilot announced that we were no. 2 in line for take-off . Suddenly, about 6 gentlemen scattered around the cabin decided they needed to go.

I think they were members of the *rules don't apply to me club* .
Old Sep 25, 2019, 6:41 am

I once asked a FA if I could unbuckle for a quick tinkle (I was in the forward cabin, aisle seat row 1; she was jump-seated so I could lean over and ask). While she hesitated, she agreed and I made the fastest wee in the history of the world. I had been taking a new variety of HBP medication that had a diuretic...so it really was medical.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.