https://news.delta.com/delta-continu...trans-atlantic

+BOS-FCO
SLC-LHR going year-round
Second seasonal daily BOS-CDG
Expanded season for JFK-ATH/CPH/TXL and TPA-AMS

Last edited by ab2013; Sep 23, 2019 at 1:34 pm
Old Sep 23, 2019, 11:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I see a lot of TATL 757 flights for BOS. Maybe these routes are short enough for people to accept them, but I know I would certainly book away from aircraft with D1 in a 2-2 configuration and no PS seats.

I'm also surprised to see a LGW flight in the announcement. Will this be DL's only LGW service and does partner VS have a big presence there?

ADDED: I can see the rationale for the FCO and LIS flights from BOS. There are a lot of people of Italian and Portuguese descent living in the greater Boston area. However, these aren't likely to be high yield routes, although LIS generally isn't high yield anyway.
Spiff likes this.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Sep 23, 2019 at 11:46 am
Old Sep 23, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: DL
Still hoping to see SLC-STR one of these days!
Old Sep 23, 2019, 11:51 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by altabello
Still hoping to see SLC-STR one of these days!
It won't happen, although there was a time when PMNW flew nonstop from DTW to STR daily, at least during the business week. It was a charter for one of the auto companies on a 757 configured entirely in business class. I was told that employees hated it when there were more than 54 or so passengers for the day so that some (presumably the those with the lowest titles) were forced to fly commercial.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: DL DM
Delta continues to invest in the trans-Atlantic customer experience

Beginning in 2020, all of Delta's trans-Atlantic flights over six and a half hours will feature the carrier's premium Delta One experience, which includes a dedicated in-cabin flight attendant; a 180-degree flat-bed seat; extra-wide inflight entertainment screens; and seasonally rotating, chef-designed Delta One menus with the option to pre-select first choice of entrée, paired with wines hand-selected by Master Sommelier Andrea Robinson.
Which flights over 6.5 hours today lack Delta One? Unless they are looking at the inbound run time? For example JFK-SNN is blocked as 6:19, so there'd be no change on this route. Only one I'm coming up with is BOS-LIS which clocks in at 6:40 on the outbound but is still loaded as a domestic 757 for next summer.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm also surprised to see a LGW flight in the announcement. Will this be DL's only LGW service and does partner VS have a big presence there?
They are adding JFK-LGW and BOS-LGW as that's the most likely routes Jetblue will target. Virgin has a handful of leisure routes at Gatwick
Old Sep 23, 2019, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by NHFL9
Which flights over 6.5 hours today lack Delta One? Unless they are looking at the inbound run time? For example JFK-SNN is blocked as 6:19, so there'd be no change on this route. Only one I'm coming up with is BOS-LIS which clocks in at 6:40 on the outbound but is still loaded as a domestic 757 for next summer.
AFAIK the only nonD1 TATL service currently would be Iceland and Ireland, plus possibly smaller British/Scottish airports.

LIS is a 757 which has the D1 flatbeds in a 2-2 configuration, IIRC 14 of them in the cabin. I assume the same configuration is used for the longer TATL 757 routes.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 12:13 pm

JFK-PDL doesn't have D1.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 12:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by flyerwma
JFK-PDL doesn't have D1.
I read somewhere PDL isn't coming back
Old Sep 23, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I see a lot of TATL 757 flights for BOS. Maybe these routes are short enough for people to accept them, but I know I would certainly book away from aircraft with D1 in a 2-2 configuration and no PS seats.
Though it was up-gauged (at least seasonally) this past year to a 767, the RDU-CDG route flies on the internationally configured 757. And I won't fly that in coach internationally. I want two aisles! (we did fly it domestically a couple years back - I think from Atlanta but know that onward it was the CDG flight) I've intentionally booked connecting flights vs the non-stop...
Old Sep 23, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ab2013
https://news.delta.com/delta-continu...trans-atlantic

+BOS-FCO
SLC-LHR going year-round
Second seasonal daily BOS-CDG
Expanded season for JFK-ATH/CPH/TXL
Also extended season on TPA-AMS.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
I see a lot of TATL 757 flights for BOS. Maybe these routes are short enough for people to accept them, ---.
IMHO they are the perfect aircraft for BOS-Europe. If they are successful they can always upgrade the aircraft later. A perfect choice to start the service.
For many years I dId xxx(usually MCI) - EWR - Europe and it was always a 757 with CO. I have also done the 757 TATL on other airlines. Never had the Gander etc divert either.
BOS is even shorter distance so I say again, perfect aircraft choice to start the service.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
IMHO they are the perfect aircraft for BOS-Europe. If they are successful they can always upgrade the aircraft later. A perfect choice to start the service.
For many years I dId xxx(usually MCI) - EWR - Europe and it was always a 757 with CO. I have also done the 757 TATL on other airlines. Never had the Gander etc divert either.
BOS is even shorter distance so I say again, perfect aircraft choice to start the service.
Just because the 757 is the perfect aircraft from Delta's perspective doesn't mean its the perfect aircraft from a passenger's perspective.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: DL DM MM
Flew LIS-JFK in the new D1 757 last week. There were only four rows of D1, 2+2. The new seats and setup were very nice. Food service was much better with only four rows to manage. There were two of us, so sitting in 1C/1D was great, but I would hate to fly solo with one passenger sitting the cozy window seat trying to get in and out to the aisle.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 3:58 pm

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Saw a press release from Delta about more international flights out of BOS. The release also trumpeted the fact that they will now control all of the gates in Terminal A there. I

MHO, as a former BOS flyer (now retired and living in the MCO area) international flights out of BOS are a good choice. However, return flights to BOS from abroad aren't much fun with the need to change terminals. If Delta could convince customs/immigration to open a facility in Terminal A it would really make this a good choice. I believe the facility was originally designed to accommodate international arrivals but the government didn't want to staff it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.