Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL expanding service to Europe (again)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2019, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Just noticed - BOS-FCO is on the A333 (already available for sale) - pretty aggressive gauge for a brand new route. Was there slack in the fleet to begin with or a route cancellation that freed up some frames?

EDIT: Looks like DTW-FCO got downgauged from a A333 to a 763
Old Sep 23, 2019, 4:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ab2013
Just noticed - BOS-FCO is on the A333 (already available for sale) - pretty aggressive gauge for a brand new route. Was there slack in the fleet to begin with or a route cancellation that freed up some frames?

My impression is that there are more people with ties to Italy living in the BOS area compared to DTW, so FCO as a leisure destination might do better from BOS. Plus, for people starting between the east coast and DTW, BOS is arguably the more logical connection (but IME is not so attractive for an international arrival due to the requirement to change terminals, nor do I like the short overnight flights).
GUWonder likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 5:16 pm

DTW-FCO was a 763 for a portion of this summer as well
Old Sep 23, 2019, 6:11 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by NHFL9
Which flights over 6.5 hours today lack Delta One? Unless they are looking at the inbound run time? For example JFK-SNN is blocked as 6:19, so there'd be no change on this route. Only one I'm coming up with is BOS-LIS which clocks in at 6:40 on the outbound but is still loaded as a domestic 757 for next summer.
MSP-KEF seasonal is 6:10 E/B but 6:30 W/B. Something tells me that block time might be 6:29 next summer.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward

Actually, DL announced BOS-FCO before 9/11 and they never started. It's been over nearly 2 decades ago and also, DL has flew BOS-LGW for 1 year. This route has been discontinued. They tried and it didn't workout so well. Due to low demands.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by nystateofmind
DTW-FCO was a 763 for a portion of this summer as well
Hmm didn’t realize - happy to see that DTW is keeping service to FCO!

But where did the A333 frames come from?
Old Sep 23, 2019, 9:05 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by N830MH
Actually, DL announced BOS-FCO before 9/11 and they never started. It's been over nearly 2 decades ago and also, DL has flew BOS-LGW for 1 year. This route has been discontinued. They tried and it didn't workout so well. Due to low demands.
I took advantage of the BOS-LGW route in December, 2001, when I was able to get a RT PHL-BOS-LGW and return for $318.00. The eastbound trip was less than 1/2 full, so I got a row of 3 to myself; Delta served some kind of German Sekt in the back; I think I downed a bottle by myself. On the return (which was 6 days before Christmas), DL oversold Y, and I got my first ever op-up to J (in those days, Delta used 767s that had two J cabins). I think there were 5 of us in the aft J cabin, and our own FA, so the trip back was great. This, of course, was 3 months after 9/11, and the authorities at Logan Airport had their security checkpoint workers dress up like SWAT team members (in those days, Delta used Terminal C for its domestic operations).
Old Sep 23, 2019, 9:14 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My impression is that there are more people with ties to Italy living in the BOS area compared to DTW, so FCO as a leisure destination might do better from BOS.
I wouldn't think the difference is massive. As an italian-american born and raised Detroiter, SE Michigan has a huge population of italian-americans.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 10:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by james318
I wouldn't think the difference is massive. As an italian-american born and raised Detroiter, SE Michigan has a huge population of italian-americans.
Either way, tourist travel to Italy is so substantial that I can’t imagine a handful of people going to visit Nonna’s hometown moves the needle.
GUWonder and CPMaverick like this.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 4:14 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The expanded season for JFK-CPH will be useful for me.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 5:23 am

Hmm didn’t realize - happy to see that DTW is keeping service to FCO!

But where did the A333 frames come from?
Atlanta and JFK both had multiple daily A333 to FCO this summer while DTW split between A333 and 763. Also there could have been a change elsewhere with the 764 back (LHR or somewhere else). Not to mention Delta could have downgraded elsewhere and not announced it. I am more surprised by all of the 75S that will be sitting around Boston for 8 hours apiece. Where are they coming from because the utilization is poor? Unless some will be on domestic 757’s.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 8:01 am

Next summer it's a nearly total A333 service to Rome

DL20 BOS FCO A333 (new!!)
DL62 ATL FCO A333
DL64 ATL FCO A333
DL236 DTW FCO B763
DL442 JFK FCO A333 (new!!)
DL444 JFK FCO A333
Old Sep 24, 2019, 8:24 am

Terminal A for DL is impressive at BOS, but there are gate restrictions in some cases that cause bigger planes such as A330s and 767s to 'block' adjacent gates. But I believe the 757s can free roam at any of the gates they've got. That, and distance, may be a reason why 757s dominate at Logan.

Last edited by ChrisNH38; Sep 24, 2019 at 8:30 am
Old Sep 24, 2019, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by eneq
Just because the 757 is the perfect aircraft from Delta's perspective doesn't mean its the perfect aircraft from a passenger's perspective.
Oh trust me I hear what you are saying. But at the end of the day DL are a business. They have to make business decisions. The 757 is the correct choice to START service. On a similar note I absolutely hate CR2s - but use of them means some places have service that otherwise would not.

Last edited by GRALISTAIR; Sep 24, 2019 at 8:39 am
Old Sep 24, 2019, 9:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by pbarnette
Either way, tourist travel to Italy is so substantial that I can’t imagine a handful of people going to visit Nonna’s hometown moves the needle.
Not that, but people with Italian heritages are more likely to be interested in Italy's cultural, historical, culinary, and religious treasures as a tourist destination.

DL tried a FCO nonstop from MSP one summer and it didn't even last to the end of its initially announced very short season.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.