pricing for DL1 upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2019, 8:38 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
pricing for DL1 upgrade

I purchased a flt JFK-LAS in Y and immediately was upgraded to C+. I was considering upgrading to DL1. Over a two week period the prices/(miles to buy) fluctuated in the vicinity of $1200/115,000 mi. A few minutes ago it was 89,000 mi I upgraded.
This will help me in attaining DIAMOND. Moral, if there are lots of empty seats in D1, 2 months out, don't take their initial offer. [It may still go down further...perhaps I was too hasty(???)]
Old Sep 23, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
This makes me hurt
Old Sep 23, 2019, 2:34 pm

I am confused, did you upgrade JFK-LAS for 89K miles? I just booked CDG-SCL in business class for less.
glennhaak and mendezka like this.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 2:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by AntonS
I am confused, did you upgrade JFK-LAS for 89K miles?
Maybe he forgot to include the decimal point?
Old Sep 23, 2019, 2:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by AntonS
I am confused, did you upgrade JFK-LAS for 89K miles? I just booked CDG-SCL in business class for less.
That would be equivalent to a fare difference of about $890, which is plausible for the route depending on dates and fare class availability. It's apparently not a mileage upgrade award but a pay-with-miles type upfaring.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Terrible value.
KenTarmac likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 3:58 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

After paying 89,000 miles am in DL1 Z class. [When I looked at my booking I was given the opportunity to "buy-up" using $ or miles. As I noted in my post#1 the upgrade was running $1200/155K miles over a two week period--so 89K miles was a "bargain"]
PS: The additional MQM will help me become DIAMOND by year end. From old posts DL asks a lot of $ to buy up to DIAMOND, even for those close.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by DLATL777
Terrible value.
I thought D1 tickets can be had for 640k miles so an upgrade to D1 for 89k would be a great value . An it probably was within 90 days so the cheapie tickets would be nowhere to be found.

In all seriousness, way too many miles but par for the course for DL

But if the OP is happy, I’m sure DL is happy as well.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And, while it's D1, it's a 757, right? So no aisle access from every seat. You're stepping over someone, or they're stepping over you.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 4:56 pm

I just redeemed 160,000 miles for two one way tickets going AVL to ATL in First, and then connecting to ATL to BRU in D1, for a trip in May.

This tapped out my SkyMiles account, and our return is from MUC on a combination of BA to LHR and then AA going to PHL in J and continuing onto AVL in First. The total redemption was 115,000 AA miles using AAMilesSaver awards, with relatively modest taxes fees, principally German. Unlike the DL award these two were not readily available, and took a fair amount of checking availability on a regular basis.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 6:09 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

There are two different "systems" noted: (1)upgrading from Y/C+ to D1 using miles--you don't get MQM, (2)upfaring using miles--you do get MQM
Since I will attain (if my arithmetic is correct) DIAMOND by late December, I couldn't have put miles to a better use, since award tickets don't count toward MEDALLION status.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nrr
There are two different "systems" noted: (1)upgrading from Y/C+ to D1 using miles--you don't get MQM, (2)upfaring using miles--you do get MQM
Since I will attain (if my arithmetic is correct) DIAMOND by late December, I couldn't have put miles to a better use, since award tickets don't count toward MEDALLION status.
DL no longer even offers Mileage Upgrade Awards on flights within North and South America. FCM offer or paying fare difference is only way to upgrade. While you will earn the bonus MQM's, I have to concur with others this is not exactly a great deal. The mileage amounts are simply based on the cash FCM prices at the rate 1 CPM less the 7.5% US domestic excise tax. Working backwards, the cash offer price would have been 89000/100 * 1.075 = $957
Old Sep 23, 2019, 7:08 pm

Programs: Delta DM
🤯

This is a troll thread right?
Old Sep 23, 2019, 9:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
That would be equivalent to a fare difference of about $890, which is plausible for the route
I live in LAS and fly to JFK enough to know that this is nearly always the value of the FCM offer. Usually it's for F though and not D1
Old Sep 23, 2019, 9:33 pm

Programs: DL
For the 2228 mile flight, you will earn an MQM bonus of 1114 miles. You paid 89,000 miles for this upgrade — which Delta valued at a minimum of $890 (1cpm).

If we assume 1cpm is what you value miles at (personally I would double that), then you spent $890 to attain ~1k MQM. This is a cost / MQM ratio of about .89.

For most Saturdays for the rest of the schedule, you can fly SFO-LAX round-trip for about $100. This is a ratio of about .1. You will earn 1k MQMs for such a trip. So, conservatively, you overpaid by 8.9x.

But SFO-LAX is usually not a profitable route in terms of MQM, so let’s look at a better route like SFO-SEA-PEK. In November it’s quite easy to take a hop across the pond and earn about 12k MQMs for about $500. This is a ratio of about .04, or a bit over 2x better than the LAX trip, and about 22x better than your LAS trip.

I think you lost this one.
moondog likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.