Wiki Posts
Search

bastian says skyteam has failed

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2019, 9:27 pm
BA

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Delta Gold Medallion, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by cmd320
I don't necessarily disagree with him, but this is also to be expected a bit when you have airlines like Saudia, TAROM, MEA, etc. as your partners. Outside of DL, Garuda, and AF/KL/KE on a good day, SkyTeam doesn't exactly scream quality.
What's your issue against MEA? Have you flown on them? They're small, but they're a good airline and a proper addition to SkyTeam considering their long-time partnership with Air France.

https://www.simpleflying.com/cedar-l...review-beirut/
https://www.onemileatatime.com/middl...usiness-class/
https://www.simpleflying.com/review-mea-a320-economy/
https://www.apex.aero/2019/09/09/ape...s-2020-winners

Last edited by BA; Sep 19, 2019 at 10:43 pm
Old Sep 19, 2019, 11:34 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Well certainly I personally think that ST could be doing more things actively (more ST lounges, for example) but wasn't sure how much behind the scenes aspects they were involved with. Doesn't seem like much and not sure why. I also wish there were more airlines particularly there are some areas that are hard to get to (NZ).

It does however drive me to book on ST airlines when possible, like CI instead of EVA when going to Taiwan or SE Asia.

I could see that it's hard to herd so many cats as the needs throughout the world with small and big airlines are potentially very different.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 1:01 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
As a star alliance and oneworld flyer I dabbled in Skyteam once due to a lot of flying in Indonesia and China, and some in Vietnam + status match, and this was a big put off for me:
Regardless of their travel class, SkyTeam Elite Plus members traveling on, or connecting to/from, a same-day international flightoperated by a SkyTeam member airline have access to a lounge.
Obviously, myself and like travellers are completely irrelevant to DL, as not travelling on AF/KL/DL but the lounge lottery flying domestically was a turn off, compared to star alliance and oneworld where non-US airline elite get access to lounges flying domestically just about everywhere (and US airline elites get it everywhere but North America). It is what it is, so thanks, but no thanks from me to skyteam (contrast to the times I flew DL as a VA elite, which gives lounge access domestically within US).
Old Sep 20, 2019, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by lokijuh
As a star alliance and oneworld flyer I dabbled in Skyteam once due to a lot of flying in Indonesia and China, and some in Vietnam + status match, and this was a big put off for me:

Obviously, myself and like travellers are completely irrelevant to DL, as not travelling on AF/KL/DL but the lounge lottery flying domestically was a turn off, compared to star alliance and oneworld where non-US airline elite get access to lounges flying domestically just about everywhere (and US airline elites get it everywhere but North America). It is what it is, so thanks, but no thanks from me to skyteam (contrast to the times I flew DL as a VA elite, which gives lounge access domestically within US).
All except DL give access, even on domestic flights. I've never had an issue on GA, VN, MU, CZ, AF, KL, OK, SU, etc... Only DL does enforces international only and even then UA and AA dont grant their own OWE/OWS lounge access domestically.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by BA
What's your issue against MEA? Have you flown on them? They're small, but they're a good airline and a proper addition to SkyTeam considering their long-time partnership with Air France.

https://www.simpleflying.com/cedar-l...review-beirut/
https://www.onemileatatime.com/middl...usiness-class/
https://www.simpleflying.com/review-mea-a320-economy/
https://www.apex.aero/2019/09/09/ape...s-2020-winners
I don't necessarily have an issue with them, it's just not an airline I would ever consider booking a flight on. The product is not very competitive at this point and there are just far superior options out there. When you look at the options on either side such as TK with Star Alliance or QR with oneworld, I'm sort of left wondering why I would ever fly with MEA.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by RobertS975
Aside from JVs and revenue sharing timeshares, the airlines in any alliance are competing. DL doesn't gain anything when you fly JFK to MAD on Air Europa. So it is a myth that alliance members are somehow "pals"!
But I think that's Bastian's point. The original idea behind airline alliances was much more "pal"-like; that if you could fly LEX-ATL on DL and then AMS-VIE on KL, with ATL-AMS on either, then both carriers are winning by cooperating to offer LEX-VIE as a single itinerary with co-recognition of elite benefits, etc. It was a natural extension of codeshare and interline agreements. But when the "friendship" of alliances starts getting undercut with heavy competition on the same city pairs without a JV then I can see why a CEO would think the alliance "has failed".
hi55us likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lokijuh

Obviously US domestically based flyers like me are completely irrelevant to UA/AA as they single them out and don't allow lounge access on domestic flights. Clear case of discrimination and huge slap in the face. Guess I will stay from UA/AA
Old Sep 20, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
I mean, I can see where JVs are much more useful for a conglomerate than the alliances. After all - $$$. That said, I'd bet any frequent international traveler is using the alliance networks either by plan or default. And cutting it back to just JV partners would mean short term profits but long term headaches as constantly negotiating partnerships to cover the ever-more-traveling global population would become cumbersome.
moondog likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's nothing in the interview that suggests DL will be "cutting back" to just JV partners or abandoning Skyteam. That's just typical misleading spin from Leff.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 8:20 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by runningformqm
https://viewfromthewing.com/2019/09/...m=BoardingArea

"Delta CEO Ed Bastian told Bloomberg that the SkyTeam, of which Delta is a part, hasn’t “brought a lot of great value to customers
And in other news water is wet and fire is hot
Old Sep 20, 2019, 8:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by findark
But I think that's Bastian's point. The original idea behind airline alliances was much more "pal"-like; that if you could fly LEX-ATL on DL and then AMS-VIE on KL, with ATL-AMS on either, then both carriers are winning by cooperating to offer LEX-VIE as a single itinerary with co-recognition of elite benefits, etc. It was a natural extension of codeshare and interline agreements. But when the "friendship" of alliances starts getting undercut with heavy competition on the same city pairs without a JV then I can see why a CEO would think the alliance "has failed".
I disagree and believe oneworld and star alliance are still fantastic at having great alliances. Sky team was always the last ditch alliance airlines joined when nobody else wanted them so I feel like there is no friendship on sky team as everybody has a “i only care about myself” attitude.
moondog likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 8:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by azepine00
Skyteam is failing because dl wants to benefit from it without offering much. The worst benefits, the worst award availability the worst earnings with so called "second tier" partners, obscene redemption taxes/fees, fights with KE and SU etc etc.. there is no such widespread nonsense in *A or OW even though they have some issues with individual carriers.
Ppl can use ua systemwides on lufthamsa, use use awesome cx f lounges while being aa top tier, fairly easily redeem miles across alliance - quite a contrast with what delta and skyteam offer...
But you get access to that amazing KLM lounge in AMS...
Old Sep 20, 2019, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by vincentharris
I disagree and believe oneworld and star alliance are still fantastic at having great alliances. Sky team was always the last ditch alliance airlines joined when nobody else wanted them so I feel like there is no friendship on sky team as everybody has a “i only care about myself” attitude.
Should ask UA, SQ, and TG how well they get along... for a while (might still be true) SQ tickets would book onto B6 or VX (now AS?) metal instead of UA. Basically no cross-plating allowed.. SQ awards are largely blocked from Starnet.

Sure, UA gets along well with NH and the LH Group which does a great job of covering the world.. but that's because of the JV. That can be DL with KE and AFKL.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The alliances still work for me as long as I get a shorter line to check in and somewhat preferred seating choices. This still seems to be the case with all 3. I have Priority Pass so lounge access doesn’t matter much to me. There are really only a few countries where Skyteam’s “domestic flight = no lounge” comes into play. In the USA you can access via Amex, in China they lounges suck anyway and in Indonesia it’s the same as China. I have no knowledge of the situation in Russia but I wouldn’t be surprised if lounges were very poor there. SGN-HAN or DAD is another Skyteam situation where you may lack lounge access but the advantage gained by having Skypriority at those airports is huge. China and Indonesia also have PP lounges at most major airports, although these are even worse than the airline lounges.

Delta is probably lamenting the fact that alliances aren’t what they were 15 years ago but things change. I didn’t have to pay 350k skymiles for a one way biz class award ticket 15 years ago either.
moondog likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 10:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Delta is probably lamenting the fact that alliances aren’t what they were 15 years ago but things change. I didn’t have to pay 350k skymiles for a one way biz class award ticket 15 years ago either.
Delta was also not a very good airline 15 years ago, to the extent that it could be argued that ST --as mediocre as it is-- was keeping DL above water, rather than dragging it down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.