Interesting nut experience yesterday

Old Sep 16, 19, 4:15 am
Original Poster

Interesting nut experience yesterday

Was flying in F on an EMB 175 operated by Skywest. About 45 minutes into flight, when offered the snack basket, I couldn't see any nuts so I asked the FA. He said yes, there are almonds and proceeded to dig to the bottom of the basket to expose them so I could grab a bag. Thanks-I'm all set. He then turns across the aisle and the guy also grabs an almond pack. Then the middle aged woman in the window next to him starts to ask about nut products and says she has an allergy and will go into shock if anyone eats nuts around her.

The FA then proceeded to take my nuts, literally out of my hand, and throw them away. I'm talking my open bag as well as the exposed 3 nuts in my hand as well as the guy on the opposite aisle as well, apologizing but saying that is policy when there is an allergy and FA apologized again as it was not on the manifest. He then circled back to rest of F cabin checking other products and people (such as the Kind bars) and removing as necessary. Lastly he went to main cabin to inform other FA.

OK I get allergies can kill. But here is my take- I could care less about the nuts. But:

(1) iI's weird I know, but I felt a sense of being violated having them grabbed out of my hand.
(2) If you are really that allergic -maybe say something before the flight or at least when you see the snack basket starting to be passed--we were in row 4.
(3) . What happens if I grabbed a bag of almonds before I got on the flight and ate them before this even occurred--would I really have sent her into anaphylactic shock from 6 feet away? Can they take my personally purchased almonds as policy?

Thanks
nancypants and zpaul like this.
Old Sep 16, 19, 4:22 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by chfenton View Post
(1) iI's weird I know, but I felt a sense of being violated having them grabbed out of my hand.
(2) If you are really that allergic -maybe say something before the flight or at least when you see the snack basket starting to be passed--we were in row 4.
(3) . What happens if I grabbed a bag of almonds before I got on the flight and ate them before this even occurred--would I really have sent her into anaphylactic shock from 6 feet away? Can they take my personally purchased almonds as policy?

Thanks
1- Totally unacceptable. You should have yelled swiper no swiping. But seriously nobody should be grabbing anything.

2- No kidding.

3- Here we go again.... let the arguments, what if scenarios and assumptions begin!
nancypants and KenTarmac like this.
Old Sep 16, 19, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Report the FA. DL publicly states they dont promise or provide nut free flights. If lady couldn't even be bothered to state something before then I highly doubt she has a severe allergy. BTW six feet isnt much. Very easy for shell to come in contact. It's the ones claiming issues multiple rows away that are overblowing it.
Old Sep 16, 19, 4:43 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Blame the woman not the FA.

She's informed him of a nut allergy, whether real or not. Imagine he hadn't acted on that information and something had happened to her.
nancypants and 8420PR like this.
Old Sep 16, 19, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ajeleonard View Post
Blame the woman not the FA.

She's informed him of a nut allergy, whether real or not. Imagine he hadn't acted on that information and something had happened to her.
The FA acted whole inappropriately. Sure stop serving them. However grabbing snacks back was inappropriate and doesn't fit within DL stated peanut policy.
DiverDave and Global321 like this.
Old Sep 16, 19, 6:08 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I am glad I dont have a nut allergy, and do love cashews and peanuts... but if I did
it would be the first thing I would tell an FA upon boarding or even at check-in.
for this women to leave it until mid flight.... not acceptable, and what the FA did... also not acceptable
KenTarmac likes this.
Old Sep 16, 19, 6:38 am

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Having your nuts grabbed seems a bit extreme. Is the FA applying for a job at TSA?

Seriously, if the woman's condition was so severe that someone else eating nuts in the immediate vicinity would put her into anaphylactic shock then she damn well should have researched the requirement on Delta and followed the procedure outlined on their website. Instead she pipes up mid-flight as nuts are were served putting the FA in a tough spot. Had the silly woman gone into shock the flight might have been diverted with the FA held to account and potentially disciplined or dismissed.

I have no issue with accommodating the nut sensitive but they need to do their part too and not act like prima donnas with a sense of entitlement.
NPF, rdh0924, nancypants and 11 others like this.
Old Sep 16, 19, 7:06 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
I donít think the FA should have grabbed your nuts like that. However I know that no restaurant will guarantee a but/allergen free environment. Thatís just a legal thing so they donít get in trouble. They should have confiscated the nuts after the lady spoke up, just done it in a less aggressive way.
Old Sep 16, 19, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC DL has a requirement that passengers with nut allergies advise the airline in advance. Moreover, DL explicitly doesn't (and can't) guarantee a nut free flight.

I'm confused in that most of the (severe) nut allergies center around peanuts, although some people apparently are allergic to tree nuts. The passenger should have been more specific.

Based on a recent UA threat, the FA committed assault and should be banned for at least two years, if not his/her lifetime.
strickerj likes this.
Old Sep 16, 19, 10:11 am

Programs: AAdvantage, HH, SPG Gold
She should be carrying an Epi pen if she is that sensitive to nuts.
crank1225 and KenTarmac like this.
Old Sep 16, 19, 10:19 am

Programs: Delta Plat
Originally Posted by jackvogt View Post
I donít think the FA should have grabbed your nuts like that. However I know that no restaurant will guarantee a but/allergen free environment. Thatís just a legal thing so they donít get in trouble. They should have confiscated the nuts after the lady spoke up, just done it in a less aggressive way.
Well, if I was OP the FA would have had to confiscate them from my stomach.

A peanut allergy is real. But this garbage about going into shock if somebody "around her" eats something that is not remotely related to a peanut (other than the English name) is crap.

Even with peanuts nobody can ever show any such remote sensitivity.
nancypants and M60_to_LGA like this.
Old Sep 16, 19, 11:44 am

That's when I would have reminded her that despite the pile of nuts that have fallen between the seat and the wall (because DL a/c are disgusting) that she still seems to be doing okay.
puck021 likes this.
Old Sep 16, 19, 11:52 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by fotographer View Post
I am glad I dont have a nut allergy, and do love cashews and peanuts... but if I did
it would be the first thing I would tell an FA upon boarding or even at check-in.
for this women to leave it until mid flight.... not acceptable, and what the FA did... also not acceptable
The fact this woman didn't say anything prior to the flight indicates to me this is not a big problem for her, but rather a manipulative effort to get attention. If she was seriously at risk of death or serious illness, you bet she'd have said something.

I love these threads.
Old Sep 16, 19, 11:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by exwannabe View Post
Well, if I was OP the FA would have had to confiscate them from my stomach.

A peanut allergy is real. But this garbage about going into shock if somebody "around her" eats something that is not remotely related to a peanut (other than the English name) is crap.

Even with peanuts nobody can ever show any such remote sensitivity.
Peanuts weren't being served on the flight: it seemed to be a little bag of almonds. They're very different.
BeanTownBoy likes this.
Old Sep 16, 19, 11:55 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by Sweetone View Post
She should be carrying an Epi pen if she is that sensitive to nuts.
Implying that she wasn't? And if she was it's ok to eat nuts around her because she can heal herself like it's a video game?
c502cid likes this.

Search this Thread