Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Interesting nut experience yesterday

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2019, 11:57 am

What would the FA have done if you pulled out your own bag of nuts?
(That sounds dirty but it is not meant to be... but there are great inappropriate jokes that can be inserted! )
Old Sep 16, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Global321
(That sounds dirty but it is not meant to be... but there are great inappropriate jokes that can be inserted! )
I’ll refrain, and just smile. I’m growing up.
Global321 likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: Delta, JetBlue, Marriott
This is a tough spot for the FA. We can all say that the woman should have notified DL, etc., but the reality was they were 45 minutes into the flight when the FA finds out about this. The FA is now in a potentially bad situation.

The FA shouldn't have grabbed the nuts like that, but I take it the FA was not being "mean" in the sense the OP said the FA apologized. If the flight had to be diverted because of an allergic reaction by this woman, the complaint would be the FA did not do enough.
Badenoch likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
He pulled what out?
Old Sep 16, 2019, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
The fact this woman didn't say anything prior to the flight indicates to me this is not a big problem for her, but rather a manipulative effort to get attention. If she was seriously at risk of death or serious illness, you bet she'd have said something.

I love these threads.
you and me both.... its interesting to see how far passengers will go .... and its not just nuts, its also the emotional support animal, vegetable, and not to forget reptile
Old Sep 16, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA PP
I have an allergy to all tree nuts, peanuts, shellfish, and a few other odds and ends. I carry an Epi-Pen everywhere.

While I don't make a habit of experimenting to find out, I know that touching most nuts or peanuts have no effect on my health and well being. Pine nuts are tricky, touching something that has traces of pine nut oil can give me hives. Not anaphylactic shock. Hives.

There IS empirical evidence that shows that if everyone on a plane were to open a package of nuts at once that enough nut dust could enter the cabin air to cause anaphylaxis in a highly sensitive person. There is absolutely zero evidence that this can happy with peanut butter. Anyone who is seriously allergic to nuts or peanuts on that level is going to be in touch with the airlines special services team prior to the flight. They will pre-board to clean the seat and tray table. The special services team will have notified catering and the purser about the allergy (legally they have to under the ADA) and they have planned alternate snacks.

Anyone who hasn't taken these steps is a drama queen.

Personally I don't like to call attention to myself. I try to be discreet--for example on a long haul when I saw that two of the three meal choices contained nuts or shellfish, I discretely handed an allergy card to the FA during beverage service and asked if there was anyway I could be served the chicken (or whatever it was that was "safe") and if she could make sure they didn't run out of that selection prior to serving me. At first she was a bit taken aback, but once she looked at the allergy card she understood and said that of course she could do that. I certainly didn't ask them to not serve the other items to everyone else on the plane.
steve64, wrp96, apodo77 and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Global321
Asked you not to eat them and probably explained loudly why they're asking you in an effort to shame you in to not eating them.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 3:45 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Nut allergy they grab the product out of hand.
If a passenger is allergic to dogs - and a passengers brings on an ESA they tell the passenger to change seats or perhaps take another flight.
strickerj likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by fotographer
you and me both.... its interesting to see how far passengers will go .... and its not just nuts, its also the emotional support animal, vegetable, and not to forget reptile
What’s the vegetable one?
Old Sep 16, 2019, 5:52 pm

Programs: DL DM
Agreed, the FA’s response was a bit extreme.

However, perhaps Skywest has a different policy or procedure from DL regarding confiscation of nuts? As a Captain for a regional myself I have seen some pretty odd regional policies that do not interline with policies found on major carriers. And also, many more power-tripping FAs too.

Regardless, my opinion is the woman should’ve informed both the GA and FA prior to flight. I have heard multiple times during the start of service that it would be a nut-free flight due to allergy concerns.
Annerk likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 6:00 pm

Programs: DL PM 2 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond
I have a severe dairy allergy. Imagine if I did what she did in first on a TA flight.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Delta should ban the pax from future flights for failing to follow requirements of notifying them in advance and putting the flight at risk. Treat it as you would someone who fails to follow safety instructions. Yes, make reasonable accommodations for disabilities but hold the pax responsible for reasonable notification.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 10:40 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
a friend of mine has a very severe nut allergy. it's so severe that dust or crumbs will make her break out and be very uncomfortable. because she flies a lot and understands that peanuts are served on planes, she boards first and wipes down her entire seating area with Clorox wipes. if the OP's allergic woman couldn't even be bothered to mention it in her booking or to the FA, I have to assume it's just not a severe allergy that warranted the behavior of the FA
Old Sep 17, 2019, 5:33 am

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by estedman
I have a severe dairy allergy. Imagine if I did what she did in first on a TA flight.
Recently in First on a BA transatlantic flight the FA handed out little bowls of nuts then came back 5 minutes later to say they had been informed there was someone with a nut allergy on the flight so they were collecting the nuts back up.

What makes no sense in both cases is that the nuts were already open and exposed to the air. If the buts were in your hand, why couldn't you eat them. This would in fact seem to reduce the risk.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 5:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The whole "nut" issue is way overblown. Whether nuts are served is irrelevant. The vast majority of small snacks do contain nuts and many people bring them onboard, wipe their hands on seats, leave the wrappers in the seat pockets and so on. Serving the nuts is a minimal part of it.

If one is so allergic to a product that one cannot be in proximity to it, one cannot safely fly on a commercial aircraft and thus should be denied boarding.

In this case, the woman could not even be bothered to have called DL in advance, apparently did not raise it to the GA or FA until after the nuts had been served.

The only justification here is that the FA cannot be expected to know and process all of this. In her mind, the prospect to a medical diversion with a poor result is in the offing, so she did what she should not have been done.

I would send a short note to DL pointing out the policy failure and asking that the FA be counseled.
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.