Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Elitist and entitled or reasonable? What say you?

Old Sep 15, 19, 8:37 am
Original Poster

So three weeks ago I was delayed in Berlin for 24 hours after the plane cancelled for Maintenance issues. I paid the fare and was flying Delta One. I'm a DM member. During that time we spent 4 hours on the plane on taxi and then three hours in baggage claim due to one TXL issue after another. Almost no food or drink to be had until water bottles at the very end of the wait. Finally, the last baggage car broke down and those people, me, were left without our bags as well. The entire time was mass confusion and very little information from the flight staff or ground crew. By the time we were told there would be no bags we skipped whatever accommodations Delta set up for us, went to a hotel and billed food, lodging and taxi back to Delta. In addition, due to this being an EU flight, EU 261 applied and I requested and received the 600Euro compensation. The claim for hotel, taxi, and food ($350) as well as the claim for the 600 Euro was really smooth and simple. I figured this about put me and Delta on even grounds.

Fast forward 7 days and I arrive to my home airport to find my Delta flight delayed to NYC due to mechanical. I called the DM line and they rescheduled me to a flight leaving one hour later from JFK-LHR so no big issue. This trip was again flying Delta One. I made the flight and then sat on the taxiway for 4 full hours due to mechanical...Wow, three flights in a row delayed for mechanical???? Several calls to the DM line trying to get waitlisted on alternate flights in order to avoid an overnight in JFK. After many calls and a fair bit of scrappy savvy moves on my part I got myself removed from the flight (after all were deplaned for the cancellation) in the Delta computer and rebooked on a Virgin flight with only a one hour delay in JFK. It was after midnight by this point. If not for the Virgin staff I never would have got this all sorted. Try as the Delta DM line agents might, they could not reissue a ticket even though they said they did a half dozen times. I was literally in the last 2-3 people to board with them holding doors for a few minutes for us. Virgin handled all amazingly. Unfortunately, my baggage was about 36 hours delayed before it was delivered to me at my hotel in London. I had a very small bag with one set of travel clothes and made due with no jacket, even though I had packed two and a sport coat for the wet and comparatively chilly weather in London. I did not spend enough money to matter on essentials or clothes, although I was tempted to buy a nice sport coat and bill them, therefore I have no actual incurred expenses.

Next few days Delta Care sent me an email and said they were sorry, took credit and acknowledged this was all mechanical and credited my account with 60K points.

I sent Delta Care a response, explained all of the above and told them at this point the 60K points didn't seem to compensate the frustration of this happening on the very next Delta flight I had taken and told them they should consider refunding the ticket price. An autogenerated email said "Thanks for replying, due to the summer travel schedule responses may take 14-21 days." Wow. I don't really expect a full refund for a Delta One flight because I did fly, I just threw that out to see if they would come back with something else, maybe in the hundreds of dollars or similar. After all, if this had been an EU flight it would trigger EU261 for 600Euro..

So, from fellow FT'er's. What do you think? Was I made whole on the first trip and should not have included that portion into my current complaint? If so, is the immediate 60K point compensation reasonable for the 4 hour delay?

Old Sep 15, 19, 8:48 am

Programs: DL GM, Bonvoy Gold
That is the largest Sky Miles customer service bonus I've ever heard of--worth $780 if you value SM at 1.3 cents. I would personally be very happy with that. I realize that it was extremely frustrating to have both incidents happen close together, but one has nothing to do with the other. Also, EU261 compensation is unique to Europe, and I don't think it's reasonable to expect similar compensation anywhere else (even though the miles you were granted are likely worth more).

At the end of the day, you flew in J to your destination (you were not downgraded, right?), arriving on the same day you were supposed to, and were generously compensated for the frustrating delay.
Old Sep 15, 19, 8:50 am

Programs: DL Diamond
60k miles seems more than reasonable to me. Plus, if this flight was LHR-bound, you are eligible for EU comp. Doesn’t matter where the flight originated.
Old Sep 15, 19, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by loratliff View Post
60k miles seems more than reasonable to me. Plus, if this flight was LHR-bound, you are eligible for EU comp. Doesn’t matter where the flight originated.
Incorrect. EC261 only applies to DL flights from the EU, not to the EU.
Old Sep 15, 19, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Are you certain about this as it would be a great revelation for this and other trips. My understanding is:

"Based on the 2004 EU261 ruling, your flight must either take off or land in the European Union, in the latter case the airline must also have is headquarters in the EU."
Old Sep 15, 19, 9:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
WRONG. DL is not an EU airline so only flights operated by DL FROM the EU (and a couple additional countries that follow EC261) are covered by EC261.
Old Sep 15, 19, 9:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Plain and simple, the first flight was covered by EC 261/2004. Thus, OP was entitled to and did receive EUR 600 + a duty of care (hotel + food). The second flight was not covered by the Regulation and thus there was no compensation due. Rather, DL in its sole discretion provided a customer service gesture.

There is no parallelism between the two and there really isn't much more to be said.
Old Sep 15, 19, 11:12 am

Programs: DL FO 1.4MM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM.
Originally Posted by drolen View Post
I sent Delta Care a response, explained all of the above and told them at this point the 60K points didn't seem to compensate the frustration of this happening on the very next Delta flight I had taken and told them they should consider refunding the ticket price. An autogenerated email said "Thanks for replying, due to the summer travel schedule responses may take 14-21 days." Wow. I don't really expect a full refund for a Delta One flight because I did fly, I just threw that out to see if they would come back with something else, maybe in the hundreds of dollars or similar. After all, if this had been an EU flight it would trigger EU261 for 600Euro..
60K points is worth at least $600. That's within spitting distance of 600 Euro, so if I were you I'd take that and be happy.

And BTW just as unsolicited advice, I don't think that asking for the moon (full refund of ticket) is a good opening position for a negotiation.

David
Old Sep 15, 19, 11:29 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by jdrtravel View Post
That is the largest Sky Miles customer service bonus I've ever heard of--worth $780 if you value SM at 1.3 cents. I would personally be very happy with that. I realize that it was extremely frustrating to have both incidents happen close together, but one has nothing to do with the other. Also, EU261 compensation is unique to Europe, and I don't think it's reasonable to expect similar compensation anywhere else (even though the miles you were granted are likely worth more).

At the end of the day, you flew in J to your destination (you were not downgraded, right?), arriving on the same day you were supposed to, and were generously compensated for the frustrating delay.
I received 125k for a 24 hr mech delay Narita-DTW, but that was 10+ years ago (everyone in J got the 125k cert)
RE: the OP, 60k is enough, entitled to ask for more IMO
Old Sep 15, 19, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jdrtravel View Post

Thanks, This is more or less the way I was leaning and considered not even discussing with Delta further. However, I figured unless they are going to mark me as a trouble maker or something in the system then what's the harm in asking. I've already determined that it really does not matter at this point because, emotions aside, I've received everything I paid for and am not out any real costs.
Old Sep 15, 19, 11:53 am

1) 60k is a lot for a 36 hour delay that you say didn't really impact your trip that much

2) the fact that you had a delay on a previous flight isn't really relevant, you were completely compensated for that issue and seemed like you were satisfied with the outcome, so it's disingenuous to later use it to try to squeeze more from another issue.
Old Sep 15, 19, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Are you certain about this as it would be a great revelation for this and other trips. My understanding is:

"Based on the 2004 EU261 ruling, your flight must either take off or land in the European Union, in the latter case the airline must also have is headquarters in the EU."
Yep, sorry, you’re correct — my experiences with EU261 have been with Air France.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Sep 16, 19, 4:42 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Elitist and reasonable.

It seems like reasonable compensation, however it is kind of like getting $6,000 in merchandise credit at the Mercedes dealership because your brand new Mercedes wouldn't start.

Fair problems, fair resolution, but you realize most people don't fly like you do, and most people would love to deal with that kind of problem just to get 60,000 miles! In your world it is an issue, don't get me wrong, but from the perspective of the vast majority, it is very elitist. There are first world problems, then there are the problems only the elite of the first world will ever have.

You asked.
drolen likes this.
Old Sep 16, 19, 6:02 am

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
60k seems reasonable to cover the flight delay portion.

For the baggage, if the delayed baggage was an issue that prevented you from carrying out your activities, you were well within your rights to buy the appropriate clothing to cover and DL would've paid for it (happened to my colleague on our trip to LHR last week and my wife on a trip to LHR in 2017).
Old Sep 16, 19, 6:14 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
60K, for a delayed flight... maybe I should switch to DL,,, the most AA ever gave me for a flight delays of 12 years was 10K

Search this Thread
Search Engine: