Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Silver with about 24k rollover or Gold for 2020

Old Sep 14, 19, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM; MR Titanium & LTT; Hilton Diamond; National Exec Elite

I had a steep reduction in travel since March of this year due to a special assignment I accepted at work. Now that things are wrapping up with that, my travel will begin to pick up again starting in mid-October. I met the Silver Medallion qualification back in March of this year and am now just shy of Gold. With my newly scheduled trips October-December of this year, I can easily meet the requirements for Gold (but not Platinum). With my next trip I will meet the MQD requirement for Gold and can take a few more trips on DL, stopping just short of the MQM or MQS requirement for Gold.
I would like some opinions on if I should fly out the year on DL, reaching Gold with a few thousand rollover miles or if I should stop just short of hitting the MQM/MQS requirement for Gold and have about 24k rollover miles for next year. I expect my travel to increase substantially next year (likely reaching Plat again and maybe Diamond with the rollover, MQDs have never be difficult for me). I have not been Silver since 2004, so I'm not sure if the benefit differences are worth it for me to hit Gold. I only have minimal international travel and my company reimburses 50% of an airline club membership, so I will have SkyClub access anyway, so STE+ really isn't a big deal. Much of my travel is last minute enough where I am on higher fares but find that C+ is typically full or has middle seats only by the time I book, so the 3 day UG window for C+ doesn't really matter much. It looks like Silvers can book non-C+ exit row seats at the time of booking which is where I typically end up. Any thoughts on this? Would you prefer Silver with a lot of rollover (and a shot at diamond) or Gold with minimal rollover if your travel was going to continue to increase for the next program year?
Old Sep 14, 19, 1:48 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by flamingocrazyfl View Post
I had a steep reduction in travel since March of this year due to a special assignment I accepted at work. Now that things are wrapping up with that, my travel will begin to pick up again starting in mid-October. I met the Silver Medallion qualification back in March of this year and am now just shy of Gold. With my newly scheduled trips October-December of this year, I can easily meet the requirements for Gold (but not Platinum). With my next trip I will meet the MQD requirement for Gold and can take a few more trips on DL, stopping just short of the MQM or MQS requirement for Gold.
I would like some opinions on if I should fly out the year on DL, reaching Gold with a few thousand rollover miles or if I should stop just short of hitting the MQM/MQS requirement for Gold and have about 24k rollover miles for next year. I expect my travel to increase substantially next year (likely reaching Plat again and maybe Diamond with the rollover, MQDs have never be difficult for me). I have not been Silver since 2004, so I'm not sure if the benefit differences are worth it for me to hit Gold. I only have minimal international travel and my company reimburses 50% of an airline club membership, so I will have SkyClub access anyway, so STE+ really isn't a big deal. Much of my travel is last minute enough where I am on higher fares but find that C+ is typically full or has middle seats only by the time I book, so the 3 day UG window for C+ doesn't really matter much. It looks like Silvers can book non-C+ exit row seats at the time of booking which is where I typically end up. Any thoughts on this? Would you prefer Silver with a lot of rollover (and a shot at diamond) or Gold with minimal rollover if your travel was going to continue to increase for the next program year?
The big wild card is the MQD. The rollover only helps so much until you meet the MQD thresholds (or get the AmEx waiver). So if you're going to hit the MQD threshold early and will have to wait for MQMs to catch up, rollover may be more helpful. If it's the opposite, then getting GM now and at least having GM perks for more of the year in the early part of the year would be more beneficial, IMO.

How are UGs on the routes you fly now as a Silver? Are you just missing them to where making GM might make a difference? If so, this would be a reason to go for GM. If you're regularly #50 on the UG list for 1 seat though, bumping up to GM isn't going to make much of a difference.

You'll gain SDC/SDS benefits as a GM over FO. So if SDC flexibility would be a benefit, that's a reason to push for GM.

SkyPriority is also a nice perk and not just for boarding but for check-in and in IROPS when you can use a SkyPriority line or get through to an agent that much more quickly.
Old Sep 14, 19, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR View Post
How are UGs on the routes you fly now as a Silver? Are you just missing them to where making GM might make a difference? If so, this would be a reason to go for GM. If you're regularly #50 on the UG list for 1 seat though, bumping up to GM isn't going to make much of a difference.

You'll gain SDC/SDS benefits as a GM over FO. So if SDC flexibility would be a benefit, that's a reason to push for GM.

SkyPriority is also a nice perk and not just for boarding but for check-in and in IROPS when you can use a SkyPriority line or get through to an agent that much more quickly.
Thanks for the thoughts. I should have been more clear, right now I am Platinum, but met the Silver qualification (for the 2020 program year) back in March of this year. As a Plat, I do OK with C+ at booking so long as I do not have a last minute trip (I do get a good number of those every year). I won't make Platinum again due to my reduced travel this year, but could make it again next year. My F upgrades as a Plat are not too good, especially out of my home airports of Tampa and Sarasota. I often fly Monday and Friday, so lots of business travel and I am often in the teens on upgrade lists of 50ish. I had forgotten about SDC, didn't notice Silver did not get that. That is something I've used as a plat quite a bit. Is SP really that much better? The lines still seem pretty long and at most airports, silvers can use the SP check-in lines anyway. Boarding could be a benefit though. It seems in looking at the threads, Silver from 2004 (last time I had it) is not comparable to Silver in 2019.....

Last edited by flamingocrazyfl; Sep 14, 19 at 2:06 pm
Old Sep 14, 19, 2:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It sounds like the OP's MQMs and MQDs pretty much track DL's implicit ratio, so if OP has 24,000 MQM rollover, he/she won't get to GM much before approaching 75,000 MQMs (the rollover plus about 50,000 MQMs' worth of MQDs) and similarly for qualifying for PM next year. To me, the rollover looks like it won't do the OP much good, so I'd go for GM now in order to avoid months of just FO status next year.
Old Sep 14, 19, 7:11 pm

Have you thought about Delta's new "Reclaim My Status" program? If this was a one time slowdown, and travel will resume to Platinum level next year, you may be able to apply early in 2020 & have 3 months of Platinum benefits while you try to get to 18,750 MQMs or 25 MQSs, AND $2,250 MQDs.

If you are planning to go that route, I would suggest taking the big rollover because while it won't help with the challenge, it will add to what you earn next year, to either take a run at Diamond or maybe roll over something above Platinum.

Remember that MQMs only roll over above your *achieved* level - so if you meet the challenge & get Plat, you will still need to actually earn 75k MQMs before you can roll any over into 2021.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...my-status.html
Old Sep 14, 19, 8:04 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Thanks for the thoughts. I should have been more clear, right now I am Platinum, but met the Silver qualification (for the 2020 program year) back in March of this year. As a Plat, I do OK with C+ at booking so long as I do not have a last minute trip (I do get a good number of those every year). I won't make Platinum again due to my reduced travel this year, but could make it again next year. My F upgrades as a Plat are not too good, especially out of my home airports of Tampa and Sarasota. I often fly Monday and Friday, so lots of business travel and I am often in the teens on upgrade lists of 50ish. I had forgotten about SDC, didn't notice Silver did not get that. That is something I've used as a plat quite a bit. Is SP really that much better? The lines still seem pretty long and at most airports, silvers can use the SP check-in lines anyway. Boarding could be a benefit though. It seems in looking at the threads, Silver from 2004 (last time I had it) is not comparable to Silver in 2019.....
To me, the big loss for dropping from PM to GM or FO is C+ at booking. Have you considered a MR or two?
Old Sep 14, 19, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, SPG/MR Plat, UA 1K
I had forgotten about SDC, didn't notice Silver did not get that. That is something I've used as a plat quite a bit.
Just to spell it out, Silvers can SDC too, just it costs $75 if successful whereas the $75 is wavied for GM and higher.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
It sounds like the OP's MQMs and MQDs pretty much track DL's implicit ratio, so if OP has 24,000 MQM rollover, he/she won't get to GM much before approaching 75,000 MQMs (the rollover plus about 50,000 MQMs' worth of MQDs) and similarly for qualifying for PM next year. To me, the rollover looks like it won't do the OP much good, so I'd go for GM now in order to avoid months of just FO status next year.
If the SDC is useful I'd agree, otherwise it sounds like OP won't get much value from the other GM benefits, and expects to have more travel next year anyway in which case they'd probably hit FO/GM relatively quickly anyway (especially with 24k rolled over). So it's more of a toss-up than it might otherwise be.

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
[Reclaim my Status]

Remember that MQMs only roll over above your *achieved* level - so if you meet the challenge & get Plat, you will still need to actually earn 75k MQMs before you can roll any over into 2021.

IMO it's not entirely clear as I posted in the Reclaim thread:

Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
The Delta page has this to say:

Will I receive Rollover MQMs if I meet the thresholds?

If you successfully complete Reclaim My Status, you are eligible for Rollover MQMs based on your earned Medallion Status (but only for the MQMs earned above the published annual Medallion Status qualification threshold).

They go on to give a specific example, but it only covers reclaiming Silver. However in other gifted/complimentary status situations it seems like you can rollover any MQMs in excess of whatever highest level you achieve the "normal" way even if that is lower than the complimentary status, so presumably the same thing would occur here.
"Presumably" may have been overconfident/unwarranted but the situations are superficially similar... of course there's no particular reason they need to be consistent or logical :-/
Old Sep 15, 19, 3:07 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
An important consideration is how the carry plays out in 2020.

The OP expects to return to a traffic level of about 100K MQMs/year.

Drop to SM and carry: PM Jan, SM for MAR/APR, GM MAY/JUN/JUL. PM for rest of year

Reach GM: PM Jan. GM MAR-OCT. PM rest of year.

So he could be trading off 2 months of GM/SM vs 3 months of GM/PM. I would suck up the 2 months SM if that is how is travel plays out.

And it gives him a shot at DM.
Old Sep 15, 19, 6:00 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
When you say stop just short of gold, I assume that means flying another airline for those few trips? If so, you should take into account flying those trip without status (presumably) vs. flying as a plat on DL.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 15, 19, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Thanks, this is about right. I usually hit the MQD requirement about 1-3 trips before hitting the MQM or MQS requirement for each level.

Originally Posted by exwannabe View Post
An important consideration is how the carry plays out in 2020.

The OP expects to return to a traffic level of about 100K MQMs/year.

Drop to SM and carry: PM Jan, SM for MAR/APR, GM MAY/JUN/JUL. PM for rest of year

Reach GM: PM Jan. GM MAR-OCT. PM rest of year.

So he could be trading off 2 months of GM/SM vs 3 months of GM/PM. I would suck up the 2 months SM if that is how is travel plays out.

And it gives him a shot at DM.
Thanks for the thoughts on this, definitely something to consider, especially the shot at DM. I've met the MQDs for DM more often than not, but never quite make the MQMs or MQS thresholds.

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
Have you thought about Delta's new "Reclaim My Status" program? If this was a one time slowdown, and travel will resume to Platinum level next year, you may be able to apply early in 2020 & have 3 months of Platinum benefits while you try to get to 18,750 MQMs or 25 MQSs, AND $2,250 MQDs.

If you are planning to go that route, I would suggest taking the big rollover because while it won't help with the challenge, it will add to what you earn next year, to either take a run at Diamond or maybe roll over something above Platinum.

I've not considered this, honestly did not know about it. I will probably save the opportunity for a time when its really needed. E.g. losing status entirely, although not much, Silver is something after all.

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck View Post
When you say stop just short of gold, I assume that means flying another airline for those few trips? If so, you should take into account flying those trip without status (presumably) vs. flying as a plat on DL.
I would. I have Silver on UA courtesy of my Marriott lifetime Titanium status. The remaining trips would go to UA.
Old Sep 15, 19, 9:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Since you do a lot of work travel, during the week, rather than leisure, I think SDC would be a useful benefit to have going into next year. If you already have a handle on next year's flights, you could figure that into the calculus.

For example, if you have a strong January and then light February-March, then hit it out of the park starting in April, having FO for a couple months will be fine and you choose the rollover. But if your travel is heavy in the first quarter, being Silver in February and March might be inopportune with respect to upgrades and SDC.
Old Sep 16, 19, 9:45 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
This is totally anecdotal, but my sense is that Gold is really where agents start to remotely care about your status for the purpose of unpublished benefits/waivers/being extra nice. They still don't care *that* much if you're not plat or diamond, but it's more than nothing and can occasionally save your butt.
Old Sep 16, 19, 10:00 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion; for many years was consistently mid-high tier on United but no longer
Similar situation: gold + lots of rollover miles, or barely make platinum

As I look ahead to my travel the remainder of the year, I see myself on the cusp of platinum/ gold. I have the DL Amex Platinum card and can count on the $25K spending waiver. So, it's really all about the MQMs.

Here's the thing: my travel (and hence my status level) fluctuates a lot from year to year; I suspect 2020 may be a lighter year. I'd much rather have (a) Gold in 2020 and Gold again in 2021 as opposed to (b) Platinum in 2020 and Silver in 2021. That is because in my opinion, the incremental benefits of gold vs. silver are greater the incremental benefits of platinum versus gold. My preference along these lines actually creates a disincentive for me to fly Delta at the end of the year if doing so will put me over the 75K MQM threshold for platinum. I'd much rather bank the MQM overage so I have good head start on reaching Gold in 2020 for purposes of 2021 status.

Delta should offer SkyMiles members the option of foregoing a higher level of status in favor of more rollover MQMs. Probably a maximum of one status level that could be waived.
Old Sep 17, 19, 8:48 am

I had the same decision and decided to do the rollover. I have the Amex waiver and one more transcon in December would have put me over MQMs for Gold. However, I had funds in my B6 bank and decided to use them up, since I'm flying B6 less and less. Although I rarely see an upgrade out of JFK/LGA, I like being able to select exit row seats, Sky Priority lane access, etc... I should be able to hit Silver very early in 2020, then go for gold benefits then.

Search this Thread