Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Flying delta from NYC to DFW - LGA vs JFK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2019, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Flying first class on the A220, I can choose either option. Usually, I’d pick LGA, but construction rumors are quite disturbing.
Any difference in terms of lines, lounge access, delays, etc.?
Old Sep 14, 2019, 5:43 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Equipment is better out of LGA but the arrival process at Deltas terminals can be a nightmare at times. I got stuck in this mess a couple of weeks ago with an Uber that was 11 mins away for 45 mins and then canceled....huge line to get a bus to taxis and even huge lines to get on the MTA bus.

Im now using JFK or even EWR after that experience.
kramerica and Duke787 like this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
LGA is a nightmare. At least with JFK you can take the train / subway / AirTran and know exactly how long it'll take vs. LGA which is all over the place.

I've been booking JFK even though LGA is more convenient for visiting my family and for visiting our NYC offices
Old Sep 14, 2019, 6:52 am
Original Poster

OK, JFK it is.

Thanks.
dtwtransport likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 7:02 am

Programs: Delta DM
It depends on the departure time. If it's an early morning flight, LGA hands down. I live in north Brooklyn and it takes me ~12 minutes on average to get there. Never any security lines, never had a delay. Even flew into LGA C terminal on Monday at 7pm and had a 14 minute Uber home.

If you can avoid rush hour and late evening departures (delays can start stacking up) LGA is lightyears ahead of JFK in experience. I've never had any issues with the construction there, they've actually cleaned up C in the last few months and it's super easy to get a ride share.
RooseveltL likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 7:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you're not driving your car to the airport, note that most fares allow you to use one airport outbound and a different co-terminal for the return.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the worst times at LGA (arriving and departing) are probably Monday mornings, and Thurs/Fri/Sun afternoon and evenings. I would definitely avoid LGA around then.

Theres a thread in the NYC forum with more discussion about the buses to taxis and general traffic conditions.
RooseveltL likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 9:44 am

I think the answer depends quite a bit on how you access the airports, i.e. if you take car services/taxis vs. public transit. I take public transit almost exclusively to NYC-area airports and on that alone I prefer JFK -- the ability to entirely avoid road-based transit for me makes travel time a lot more reliable. Of course, I realize the subway isn't perfect, but as of late I've started taking the LIRR to cut out the subway trip, as I live relatively close to Atlantic Terminal in Brooklyn (many people take it from Penn Station of course).

If you're taking a car, I think the calculus is different but as I do it so infrequently I feel I can't really speak to that.
hi55us likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by danielvdm
It depends on the departure time. If it's an early morning flight, LGA hands down. I live in north Brooklyn and it takes me ~12 minutes on average to get there. Never any security lines, never had a delay. Even flew into LGA C terminal on Monday at 7pm and had a 14 minute Uber home.

If you can avoid rush hour and late evening departures (delays can start stacking up) LGA is lightyears ahead of JFK in experience. I've never had any issues with the construction there, they've actually cleaned up C in the last few months and it's super easy to get a ride share.
What are your tricks? I've on average waited 30 minutes for an Uber/Lyft that's "5 min away" and then it's taken another 20-30 minutes to get off the LGA property.

Obviously not as big a deal when going to LGA but when leaving LGA it's been a nightmare for me.

Plus if OP has lounge access JFK T4 > all 3 LGA SkyClubs IMO and if not the JFK food options are better than LGA
Old Sep 14, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Duke787
What are your tricks? I've on average waited 30 minutes for an Uber/Lyft that's "5 min away" and then it's taken another 20-30 minutes to get off the LGA property.

Obviously not as big a deal when going to LGA but when leaving LGA it's been a nightmare for me.

Plus if OP has lounge access JFK T4 > all 3 LGA SkyClubs IMO and if not the JFK food options are better than LGA
What if OP gets stuck in JFK T2? That SC and terminal in general is pretty bad.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Duke787

I usually call the uber/lyft as soon as I de-plane and most of the time it's just waiting there for me. The C terminal ride share area seems to be much tamer now and cars can wait there. JFK I usually find myself waiting 15-20 minutes for my car. All my travel is leisure so I try to work in favorable landing times if I'm landing at LGA.

I would agree that T4 SC is way better than the LGA ones, but it also takes about 3 months to walk to. For the purposes of minimizing time between apartment/hotel and boarding I haven't been able to do better than LGA D terminal at off hours. If you have clear and can count on quick security you can leave an hour from your flight departure time from a lot of BK/Manhattan locations.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What if OP gets stuck in JFK T2? That SC and terminal in general is pretty bad.
I feel like the T2 SC isn't that bad, it seems to be pretty similar to the D terminal LGA SC.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Both airports offer miserable experiences IMO. Delta's terminals at LGA are in sad shape. The new terminal at JFK is better, but if you are checking a bag, be prepared to get lots of exercise. At least with JFK you can take the Airtrain to the Subway even though the Airtrain costs $5 to use. It's still shocking to me that no one ever thought to build a subway line to LGA.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 10:33 am

Is there any good experience at a NYC airport? The best I can think of would be some of the international carriers' lounges at JFK, but you still need to get past TSA airport security to get there. I guess flying private from a smaller airport would be OK too.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by andrewesque
I think the answer depends quite a bit on how you access the airports, i.e. if you take car services/taxis vs. public transit. I take public transit almost exclusively to NYC-area airports and on that alone I prefer JFK -- the ability to entirely avoid road-based transit for me makes travel time a lot more reliable. Of course, I realize the subway isn't perfect, but as of late I've started taking the LIRR to cut out the subway trip, as I live relatively close to Atlantic Terminal in Brooklyn (many people take it from Penn Station of course).

If you're taking a car, I think the calculus is different but as I do it so infrequently I feel I can't really speak to that.
This was exactly my stance when I was living in NYC, espescilly since I was usually departing from work in Penn Station and returning to my apartment in Hell's Kitchen.

Every NYC airport debate is settled by where you are departing from in the city and where you have to return to. If you live in Manhattan right next to the 63rd St. Bridge, LGA is a no-brainer, even on a Friday afternoon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.