FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Man Charged With Stealing 42 million DL SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1987168-man-charged-stealing-42-million-dl-skymiles.html)

No_Name Sep 13, 2019 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by ajggiant (Post 31522985)
In terms of valuation, I wish SB points were worth 4 cents. But they’re definitely less valuable than SM. The SkyBonus award tickets/certificates are restrictive in terms of fare class availability required to apply. For instance, US-Australia is 1,000,000 for a Z fare and 1,400,000 for I. These are round tips. For the one way domestic upgrade certificates, inventory is same as RUC inventory, and is 25,000 for YBM fares or 50,000 fares down to K.

I agree with you on the value of SkyBonus points--I've had the worst luck using the points. I have several upgrade certificates and have not had much success in using them. I get the impression that they came out of a different inventory than a RUC--My success rate with a RUC is much better than with a SB certificate.

MSPeconomist Sep 13, 2019 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by No_Name (Post 31523015)
I agree with you on the value of SkyBonus points--I've had the worst luck using the points. I have several upgrade certificates and have not had much success in using them. I get the impression that they came out of a different inventory than a RUC--My success rate with a RUC is much better than with a SB certificate.

What inventory class do they require?

dlflyer00 Sep 13, 2019 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31523017)

They rebook into OY/O so I’m a bit skeptical that they would pull from different inventory.

cmd320 Sep 13, 2019 8:27 pm

SkyBonus points are so worthless. 42 million of them gets you what, a couple upgrades and a couple free drinks? Is it even possible to redeem an intercontinental F award using SkyBonus?

Total waste of time IMO.

rucksack Sep 13, 2019 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare (Post 31523004)
Certainly not right in regards to the fraud he committed but I have zero sympathy for Delta and their corrupt skymiles program.

I have no sympathy for Delta, but I also don't blame them for protecting their interests. They know they're not going to get any meaningful money out of this guy, but it sets a necessary example that they won't allow people to take advantage of them.

Calling the SkyMiles program corrupt is extreme. If you don't like it, find a new airline.

readywhenyouare Sep 13, 2019 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by rucksack (Post 31523209)
I have no sympathy for Delta, but I also don't blame them for protecting their interests. They know they're not going to get any meaningful money out of this guy, but it sets a necessary example that they won't allow people to take advantage of them.

Calling the SkyMiles program corrupt is extreme. If you don't like it, find a new airline.

So you think getting rid of the award calander and giving no stated value for skymiles are ethical business practices? Hell, even the neighborhood grocery store even does better with their x amount of $$$ spent = x amount in rewards cash/fuel discounts. There's no excuse for Delta to behave in such a shady manner.

Sherab Sherab Sep 13, 2019 10:13 pm

lol!
The actual, general redemption value is 1 cent for 6 miles so it is $20K worth of flights.

rucksack Sep 13, 2019 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare (Post 31523215)
So you think getting rid of the award calander and giving no stated value for skymiles are ethical business practices? Hell, even the neighborhood grocery store even does better with their x amount of $$$ spent = x amount in rewards cash/fuel discounts. There's no excuse for Delta to behave in such a shady manner.

If you've read any of my posts on the topic, you know that I'm actually a proponent of getting rid of award charts. It gives airlines needed flexibility in pricing to regularly offer reasonable award redemptions on all routes. Sure you had predictability in the award price with the award chart system, but I'd be damned if I could ever find inventory. And even without award charts, you can still find great redemption values on saver inventory. Just this year I've booked 5 J tickets with redemption values ranging from 2 - 8 cents per mile (with 3 of those over 5 cents per mile).

N830MH Sep 14, 2019 12:29 am

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR (Post 31521971)
Was he able to redeem his one-way J ticket to Europe with those 42 million miles before getting caught? ;)

Yeah, I bet he did. He stealing with those 42 millions miles. He should be too ashamed for what he did. He going to prison forever. He will never be allowed to flying on Delta ever again!

s0ssos Sep 14, 2019 12:51 am

Originally Posted by N830MH (Post 31523425)
Yeah, I bet he did. He stealing with those 42 millions miles. He should be too ashamed for what he did. He going to prison forever. He will never be allowed to flying on Delta ever again!

Well, if what you wish happens to him he won't be flying Delta because he is in prison. Or any other airline.

s0ssos Sep 14, 2019 12:53 am

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 31522894)
Don't worry. I am sure that during sentencing, the "true" value of SkyPeso will be fully briefed. (Note - sentencing guidance takes the value into consideration. So the lesser the value involved, the lesser the sentence.)

Also - those people from DOJ are really stupid. Seriously - I doubt there is no federal employee in DOJ Atlanta Office having a SkyPeso account. And believing DL for that kind of value? I think the case needs to be transfer (Again - who in Atlanta does not have a SkyPeso account? Even Jimmy Carter may have one...)

These aren't Skymiles but Skybonus, so I guess very different.
But I wonder if they will actually file this number (greater than $1.75 million) in court. Because then they should get prosecuted for perjury.

No_Name Sep 14, 2019 4:13 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31523017)

When I read the instructions, the booking class for C+ is SY, but it can only be performed by a Delta agent, so I don't know if there is an internal inventory control. For a first class upgrade it says OY for delta agent and O for a regular agent. If there is O inventory available, then upgrade goes through.

The bottom line is that I'm skeptical of valuation. You can redeem 10000 points for 10 beverage/headset coupons. That values the points at 0.009 $/point, putting the case at $378K. The only way I could see the stated valuation is if they are using F/Y fares as the fare basis and not the booking class (e.g. T for a regular SB main cabin or Q for an enhanced availability). Even if they did use T/Q for a main cabin, I wouldn't put the effective valuation at that amount because there is no guarantee that you would be able to book--the SkyBonus website explicitly recommends calling and checking for availability before ordering the reward. If it is less reliable than cash, the value has to be discounted. Thus, the only reliable value metrics are the drink coupons, single visit passes, and sky club individual membership. That puts the valuation at 0.0015 $/point to 0.009 $/point

mecabq Sep 14, 2019 4:37 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 31523003)
Also if anything was sent via USPS mail, there's charges for doing that. (Ie a certificate for Skyclub access sent via mail)

Wire fraud or mail fraud is what they charge you for when they can't come up with a real crime. No doubt this guy was unscrupulous and he stole from Delta (I suppose the real theft, and probably the basis of Delta's claim of the damages, would be when he redeemed the points for something), but IMHO they shouldn't make a federal criminal case out of it.

FBplatinum Sep 14, 2019 9:02 am

I think Delta, have "list" all the usage of this SkyBonus account and calculate the cost of each transaction.

They guy are a travel agent, he must "optimize" the usage of the account.

I use the SkyBonus voucher only in peak period,
Example: In high season, the fare class are available, but the price is more high than normal. I use the voucher in this situation (I use Trans Pacific at 180K).

rucksack Sep 14, 2019 9:37 am

Originally Posted by N830MH (Post 31523425)

I think you missed the joke that 42 million miles (or SkyBonus points, as it were) is only good for a one-way J ticket to Europe...

I'll bet that guy is wishing he had used the 42 million miles to buy a one-way ticket to Ukraine (or any other country that doesn't have an extradition treaty with the U.S. for that matter).