Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Is there any hidden benefit to spending more then $15k a year?

Old Sep 11, 19, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, etc etc etc

So basically I try not to overspend once I get near and over $15k of DL spend per year and make DM. (for example I might pay for an op up to F to get to DM faster earlier in the year but not at the end of the year)

As spend does not roll over it seems silly to spend more on DL if not needed, but is there some hidden benefit that DL has for people who spend more then the $15k?
Old Sep 11, 19, 7:02 am

Programs: Delta GM
Delta 360? Not exactly hidden.
MikeNYC1 and ryandc99 like this.
Old Sep 11, 19, 7:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by danielvdm View Post
Delta 360? Not exactly hidden.
That would require being way over $15K and would require a major change of travel patterns for someone hitting the DM MQD requirement about now.
Old Sep 11, 19, 7:15 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Other than Delta 360, not officially. That said, I have no doubt that they have some sort of customer value score of which total spend, average fare class, etc is taken into account - and that customer value score may increase the probability of phone agents being generous with exceptions.

It is purely anecdotal but the number of waivers I get without even asking is through the roof compared to when I only spent $17K my first year as Diamond (now I spend $40-50K).
Old Sep 11, 19, 8:03 am

Programs: DL DM, .99MM, GE, NEXUS, SC Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LVC everywhere
Originally Posted by vincentharris View Post
So basically I try not to overspend once I get near and over $15k of DL spend per year and make DM. (for example I might pay for an op up to F to get to DM faster earlier in the year but not at the end of the year)

As spend does not roll over it seems silly to spend more on DL if not needed, but is there some hidden benefit that DL has for people who spend more then the $15k?
You have to spend $ X amount more to get the secret decoder ring to find out what they are.

The only one I'm allowed to divulge is new status as a "Cubic Zirconium Medallion".
WSTC likes this.
Old Sep 11, 19, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by SuperG1955 View Post
The only one I'm allowed to divulge is new status as a "Cubic Zirconium Medallion".
The first rule of CZM is: You do not talk about CZM.

The second rule of CZM is: You do not talk about CZM.
Old Sep 11, 19, 11:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Skywards Gold
If you pay for it it's not an op-up
indufan and rucksack like this.
Old Sep 11, 19, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by vincentharris View Post

you get to go more places
gooselee likes this.
Old Sep 11, 19, 3:59 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Spending simply to see more MQMs in your Delta app is, obviously, foolish.

Most of us who spend substantially more than $15K/year donít even think about MQMs. Itís just a cost of doing business.

Iíll hit ~$50K MQMs again for 2019 ó with zero hope of receiving the coveted 360 invite ó and not even think once about how many MQMs I have.
cmx likes this.
Old Sep 11, 19, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1M, WN AList+
Originally Posted by TheHorta View Post
Spending simply to see more MQMs in your Delta app is, obviously, foolish.

Most of us who spend substantially more than $15K/year donít even think about MQMs. Itís just a cost of doing business.

Iíll hit ~$50K MQMs again for 2019 ó with zero hope of receiving the coveted 360 invite ó and not even think once about how many MQMs I have.
This is another reason I went 50/50 SM/FB on crediting last year. At some point that Ďrolloverí is going to be Ďenhancedí away. Every ST $/mile gets me a lot closer to LT Plat on FB than it gets me to LT Plat on DL. I have no interest in running the counter up to 4M MQM on DL at this point. Way too much flying at this point in my career, LT Plat on FB is a lot easier (and less painful) to wrap LT alliance memberships up for me...
Old Sep 11, 19, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MMô, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Cholula General Member
Originally Posted by CoMooter View Post
== At some point that Ďrolloverí is going to be Ďenhancedí away.
Do you have any evidence of this? Delta introduced rollover YEARS ago to stop people from defecting after gaining the top status. This had the unintended consequence of allowing multi-year DMs almost in perpetuity. They fixed that with MQDs. How is this not currently working for Delta's benefit?
DiverDave likes this.
Old Sep 11, 19, 8:51 pm

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68 View Post
you get to go more places
This. And also fly more on DL flights to actually use the elite benefits you have earned.
Old Sep 11, 19, 9:03 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by indufan View Post
Do you have any evidence of this? Delta introduced rollover YEARS ago to stop people from defecting after gaining the top status. This had the unintended consequence of allowing multi-year DMs almost in perpetuity. They fixed that with MQDs. How is this not currently working for Delta's benefit?
This is true at least for me. Iím in the middle of an AA challenge for AA PLAT but once I complete it, I have little incentive to fly AA the rest of the year, unless AA is way cheaper. OTOH, Iím about to cross the threshold of booked MQMs for requalifying for PM status on DL for next year and each flight/trip beyond that is rollover going into next year, better positioning me for status with DL in 2021. Iím not going to hit DM so if DL didnít have rollover, I would have less incentive to choose DL over AA. But Iím placing value on rollover going into 2020 which will have me still leaning towards DL for my remaining trips in 2019.
Old Sep 12, 19, 7:00 am

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL DM
Going after million miler status...? at least the 2MM is worth gold "for life"
If I'd lose 360 I'd probably spread out to other airlines after $15K though. Also 360 is not really worth all that much, so for me it's more that I want to get to 2 MM.
Old Sep 12, 19, 7:26 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by ethernal View Post
Other than Delta 360, not officially. That said, I have no doubt that they have some sort of customer value score of which total spend, average fare class, etc is taken into account - and that customer value score may increase the probability of phone agents being generous with exceptions.

It is purely anecdotal but the number of waivers I get without even asking is through the roof compared to when I only spent $17K my first year as Diamond (now I spend $40-50K).
Bingo! There is another revenue related distinction between a 'normal' DM and an 'HVC' DM.
Once you hit about 2 - 2.5 times DM spend in a year you will notice these differences.

Search this Thread