Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Will KTN automatically be added to existing reservations?

Old Sep 9, 2019, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold

We just purchased Pre Check since it has been spotty in recent months.

I added my Known Traveler Number at Delta's website.

Will it automatically be added to my existing reservations or do I need to call Delta to do it?

Thanks!
Old Sep 9, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: DL DM
You need to call Delta and have them add it to existing reservations. Thankfully, its a fairly easy process.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 4:32 pm

you don’t need to call or send a fax. it’s 2019. go to My Trips at Delta.com and add it yourself.
HDQDD, RetiredATLATC and CarmenOM like this.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Also note when purchasing from nonDL channels it will need to be added. (Unless you've saved it in a profile with that company)
aryan likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by yogimax
We just purchased Pre Check since it has been spotty in recent months.

I added my Known Traveler Number at Delta's website.

Will it automatically be added to my existing reservations or do I need to call Delta to do it?

Thanks!
I assume you had been getting Pre off and on for free but now want to 100% of the time so have formally applied?

But have you been approved for it yet? Thats when it kicks in not when you paid for it.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Colin
you dont need to call or send a fax. its 2019. go to My Trips at Delta.com and add it yourself.
o.k. went to My Trips and see no place to add it.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

[QUOTE=UKtravelbear;31508241

But have you been approved for it yet? Thats when it kicks in not when you paid for it.[/QUOTE]

Yes, we have.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 7:02 pm

try harder
danib62 likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 7:45 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Using a computer web browser, bring up a specific trip, and search that page for the text "Known Traveler Number".
Old Sep 9, 2019, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Yes, we have.
Under Secure Flight Data.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
While you're at it, make sure your name at Delta is exactly the same as for your known traveller number.

If your name isn't an exact match, you'll fail to get pre-check some of the time.

You'd think, because of the idiotic way that tickets combine your first name and middle initial, that this couldn't matter. It does. I didn't believe this when I heard it, but the required effort to give this fix a try is minimal. I've gotten pre-check every time since.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Syzygies
While you're at it, make sure your name at Delta is exactly the same as for your known traveller number.

If your name isn't an exact match, you'll fail to get pre-check some of the time.

You'd think, because of the idiotic way that tickets combine your first name and middle initial, that this couldn't matter. It does. I didn't believe this when I heard it, but the required effort to give this fix a try is minimal. I've gotten pre-check every time since.
The name on the ticket isnt what matters. It's the name in the secure flight data field.
PurdueFlyer likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Also note when purchasing from nonDL channels it will need to be added. (Unless you've saved it in a profile with that company)
You dont need to add it manually, if it is in your airline profile and you add your frequent flyer number to the reservation. It will populate automatically (at least for Delta). You can test this by making a reservation and calling Delta to make sure it is in the reservation. It has been this way for some time.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
You dont need to add it manually, if it is in your airline profile and you add your frequent flyer number to the reservation. It will populate automatically (at least for Delta). You can test this by making a reservation and calling Delta to make sure it is in the reservation. It has been this way for some time.
Last time I had to book via Expedia (DL couldn't get a SFO-AMS-JNB-AMS-LAX to price) it didnt. It showed up in my reservations on delta.com since my DL# was attached, but preferences stored in your DL profile only flow to reservation if you're purchasing from DL. (Unless something recently changed) Thus no KTN as KTN not on Expedia profile.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Last time I had to book via Expedia (DL couldn't get a SFO-AMS-JNB-AMS-LAX to price) it didnt. It showed up in my reservations on delta.com since my DL# was attached, but preferences stored in your DL profile only flow to reservation if you're purchasing from DL. (Unless something recently changed) Thus no KTN as KTN not on Expedia profile.
What i am saying is that It DOES flow through. I have tried it many times. I invite you to make a reservation and then call Delta to verify. Now, there could be exceptions, but I can not imagine why there would be. Delta receives your frequent flyer information pretty much the same way from all originating sources. When Delta receives your reservation (with the SkyMiles number), it populates the information. I make all my reservations through a Worldspan agency and they never send the KTN number as a separate message. (I have asked them)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.