FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta will open a SkyClub at Tokyo-Haneda (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1986599-delta-will-open-skyclub-tokyo-haneda.html)

Rhinolicious Sep 9, 2019 6:50 pm

Meatballs and chicken skewers FTW

KDCAflyer Sep 9, 2019 7:30 pm

Good move. Delta couldn't be the largest US carrier at HND and not offer a decent lounge option.

MonAmQB Sep 9, 2019 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by Rhinolicious (Post 31508400)

Definitely the beer machine too!

MSPeconomist Sep 9, 2019 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by Rhinolicious (Post 31508400)

It would be hard to have worse food options in a lounge in Japan than tha current contract HND lounge that DL is using.

As I think I mentioned above, the lounge DL used when it first started HND service was so much better, although it was offered only for business class passengers.

The beer machine reminds me that I was always impressed by the number of apple computers lined up along the windows at the NRT SCs.

FireEmblemPride Sep 9, 2019 9:33 pm

It eventually made sense for this to happen, whether it was a ST lounge, KE club or an SC. Either way, I'm glad DL stepped up. With 50 new flights per day at HND to begin on March 29, I can't imagine JL and NH would want to continue playing host to non-alliance/JV partners.

The only question is, where will they build the SC? Or will they end up replacing one of the existing lounges?

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31508158)
BTW, does anyone know whether the AF gate is close to the gates DL uses at HND? OTOH, I would guess that it could be easy for AF and any other SkyTeam carriers at HND to change gates if needed to be reasonably close to the DL lounge, if desired, or alternatively for all we know DL might have negotiated different gates for its expanded service that would be relatively close to where the new lounge will be built,

In my experience, yes, they're both out in the 140s these days. I imagine AF switches to the SC when it opens.

Other airlines I see in there include MU, KE, CI, GA, VN and eventually SU and AZ, should they choose to fly to HND (Russia and Italy were given slots).

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31508544)
It would be hard to have worse food options in a lounge in Japan than tha current contract HND lounge that DL is using.

I'll give you one: the NRT SC.

NOLAnwGOLD Sep 10, 2019 1:18 am

Well finally. So hopefully they come up with a temporary option until the SC opens for those not in J (thankfully I am next month!)

DltaSchmlta Sep 10, 2019 5:13 am

any current lounge options for diamond in coach?

flyerCO Sep 10, 2019 6:05 am

Originally Posted by DltaSchmlta (Post 31509572)
any current lounge options for diamond in coach?

Yes. The whole airport is your lounge. Plenty of nice corners/hidden spaces to sleep, seemingly endless restrooms, and all sorts of food and drinks. Spend as long as you want, no 3 hour limit!

WillBarrett_68 Sep 10, 2019 6:47 am

Originally Posted by BenA (Post 31507911)
I would have bet substantial sums this would be a SkyTeam lounge and not Delta branded. Very cool!

Same, I am surprised but happy to have been wrong about this.

MSPeconomist Sep 10, 2019 6:55 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 31509664)
Yes. The whole airport is your lounge. Plenty of nice corners/hidden spaces to sleep, seemingly endless restrooms, and all sorts of food and drinks. Spend as long as you want, no 3 hour limit!

Personally I find HND depressing. It's just not a very attractive terminal and I don't consider the shopping or F&B to be anything special. The current contract lounge that DL uses is also depressing.

IMO the best option would be to check in for your flight but avoid going through passport control and airport security any earlier than necessary, although sometimes there are lines. If one goes upstairs, there's an open area with some cultural exhibits, including a sloped pathway and some fake traditional buildings. You can see some of this if you look up from the check in area toward the big balcony that's apparently over the passport/security area. There are areas with shopsand a few restaurants. I found an outdoor deck that looks out more on the roadway than the tarmac, so I didn't find it interesting, and there weren't good city views either: wind, noise, and exhaust fumes. I've also explored the hotel lobby and restaurant connected to the international terminal and the paths to/from public transportation.

eneq Sep 10, 2019 6:55 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 31509664)

This. With some airports in Asia, I'd rather spend time on the concourse and in the terminal than in a lounge. For example, the CI-lounge at TPE Terminal 2 is separated into a J-class only section and a Dynasty Flyer section. Unfortunately, the J-class only section is a basement with no windows. The terminal, however, was open and airy.

MSPeconomist Sep 10, 2019 7:00 am

However, HND isn't new and shine-y at all. Even the flooring (IIRC dark turquoise carpet????) is old and worn and depressing, even if it's relatively clean and well maintained. The NRT terminal seemed much more pleasant and had better window shopping.

flyerCO Sep 10, 2019 8:39 am

Originally Posted by eneq (Post 31509807)
This. With some airports in Asia, I'd rather spend time on the concourse and in the terminal than in a lounge. For example, the CI-lounge at TPE Terminal 2 is separated into a J-class only section and a Dynasty Flyer section. Unfortunately, the J-class only section is a basement with no windows. The terminal, however, was open and airy.

While not the cheapest option, @ TPE I book a room at Plaza Premium if I have more than 4, but less than 12 hrs between flights. Over 12 i normally book a hotel outside airport (normally Holiday Inn) and/or do some sightseeing.

flyerCO Sep 10, 2019 8:41 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31509805)
Personally I find HND depressing. It's just not a very attractive terminal and I don't consider the shopping or F&B to be anything special. The current contract lounge that DL uses is also depressing.

IMO the best option would be to check in for your flight but avoid going through passport control and airport security any earlier than necessary, although sometimes there are lines. If one goes upstairs, there's an open area with some cultural exhibits, including a sloped pathway and some fake traditional buildings. You can see some of this if you look up from the check in area toward the big balcony that's apparently over the passport/security area. There are areas with shopsand a few restaurants. I found an outdoor deck that looks out more on the roadway than the tarmac, so I didn't find it interesting, and there weren't good city views either: wind, noise, and exhaust fumes. I've also explored the hotel lobby and restaurant connected to the international terminal and the paths to/from public transportation.

I agree. My comment was meant to be sarcastic, especially considering DLs STE+ "third party" lounge policy.

jiburi Sep 10, 2019 10:10 am

Originally Posted by BenA (Post 31507911)
I would have bet substantial sums this would be a SkyTeam lounge and not Delta branded. Very cool!

My thoughts as well. Perhaps the revenue DL would have received from SkyTeam partners was good reason enough than to push for Skyteam lounge. Am surprised but happy DL is moving forward.

Jiburi