Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Check-in OKC-ATL-UIO blocked due to ESTA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2019, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz

I just tried to get eBP for tomorrows flights to UIO. After showing my passport that is good for 6 more years, I get blocked with a message that you see below.

When I try to use the web page, the same results. I called DL and they said likely a system glitch that I need to check-in at the counter tomorrow to verify my documents.

I am just back from an international trip 9 days ago, but am more worried this kind of distraction will complicate my next trip to ATH and beyond that starts in two weeks.

I could not find many threads here about DL and the ESTA issue and my case seemed different than what I found here, so what does FT have to say about this episode? I am a US citizen with GE.

Edited, FT is refusing my JPG so here is part of the message inside the DL app:
"Travelers entering the U.S. under the Visa Waiver Program are now required to have a travel authorization (ESTA) on file with the U.S. Government."
"YOu will need to request or check the status of your travel authorization."
"Once the ESTA is on file, you can return to complete check-in."

Last edited by Xeno; Sep 8, 2019 at 12:22 pm
Old Sep 8, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
I have had similar things occur. Very simple: just check in at the counter, and they will take care of it in a minute. Just go to the airport 15-30 min earlier than you had planned otherwise in case there is a line.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, but of course none of us are fans of the counter and I cannot confirm that I have PreCheck.

Did you confirm what the issue was, meaning DL's IT or a security thing? Did you remember the country involved, at least the continent?
Spiff likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold
Hello, firstly you say you are a US citizen, if that is true you have no need for an ESTA, are you using a non US passport in DLs system?

if you have GE, then you by default also have Precheck, use your GE number as your KTN.

Is it possible that you do not have a return trip to the US booked? I am a US citizen but have a resodence visa to another country and even with that detail entered in DLs system if I do not have a return date entered (or booked) OLCI fails.

hope this helps!
Old Sep 8, 2019, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by catlike
Hello, firstly you say you are a US citizen, if that is true you have no need for an ESTA, are you using a non US passport in DLs system?

if you have GE, then you by default also have Precheck, use your GE number as your KTN.

Is it possible that you do not have a return trip to the US booked? I am a US citizen but have a resodence visa to another country and even with that detail entered in DLs system if I do not have a return date entered (or booked) OLCI fails.

hope this helps!
I was born in the USA to USA citizens. My current visas are China, Ghana, and Nigeria, but this trip is Ecuador followed 4 days later by Greece on DL then other airlines to IST and CHQ.

I want to know about Pre-Check in order to calculate how early I have to get to the airport. The current ticket is simple RT UIO.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
Originally Posted by Xeno
Thanks, but of course none of us are fans of the counter and I cannot confirm that I have PreCheck.

Did you confirm what the issue was, meaning DL's IT or a security thing? Did you remember the country involved, at least the continent?
One time it was Canada, and one time it was Europe. The counter folks thought it was a Delta IT thing as there was not SSSS on my boarding pass, but we all thought it to be unusual. I did not follow up on it any further as it was only a minor inconvenience.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Xeno
I was born in the USA to USA citizens. My current visas are China, Ghana, and Nigeria, but this trip is Ecuador followed 4 days later by Greece on DL then other airlines to IST and CHQ.

I want to know about Pre-Check in order to calculate how early I have to get to the airport. The current ticket is simple RT UIO.
Are you using the US passport to checkin? This is the issue.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 4:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Are you using the US passport to checkin? This is the issue.
Yes. My passport shows up then the error page that now says see agent at airport v
Old Sep 9, 2019, 6:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If OP is a USN displaying a US passport and DL has no other passport or non-US identity documents in its place, this is simply an IT glitch.

Presuming that you have GE/Pre-Check and your KTN is properly stored in your profile and the ticket issued in the name associated with the KTN, the chances that you have been deselected are extraordinarily slim. Rather than having DL phone agents mess with the PNR at the risk of screwing up your ticket, I strongly suggest dealing with this at the counter and being there in good time to deal with the non-ESTA matter and the remote chance that you are deselected for Pre-Check.

I would allow more than 15-30 minutes as your origination is not an international gateway and clearing anomalies such as this may not be common and may thus take more time than usual.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Often1
If OP is a USN displaying a US passport and DL has no other passport or non-US identity documents in its place, this is simply an IT glitch.

Presuming that you have GE/Pre-Check and your KTN is properly stored in your profile and the ticket issued in the name associated with the KTN, the chances that you have been deselected are extraordinarily slim. Rather than having DL phone agents mess with the PNR at the risk of screwing up your ticket, I strongly suggest dealing with this at the counter and being there in good time to deal with the non-ESTA matter and the remote chance that you are deselected for Pre-Check.

I would allow more than 15-30 minutes as your origination is not an international gateway and clearing anomalies such as this may not be common and may thus take more time than usual.
Xeno already stated he's a citizen as he was born in the US.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Xeno already stated he's a citizen as he was born in the US.
The issue is not as much being a US citizen as using a US passport - those are two different things. You should be using your US passport in your DL profile, if you have other passports and want to use those to avoid visa requirements for certain countries just show those at check in.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 8:46 am
Original Poster

I have only U.S.A. passport.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 9:01 am

I recently saw this same message before a flight to Quito. I called delta and was told just to get to the counter early.

It was a non issue. Upon arrival to the airport I was able to check in on a kiosk; there was no need to visit the counter for anything other than a bag drop.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 9:10 am
Original Poster

But no EBP, right?
Old Sep 9, 2019, 9:14 am

Correct, I did not have a boarding pass until it was printed at the kiosk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.