FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Is it possible to bypass DL's origination currency ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1986316-possible-bypass-dls-origination-currency.html)

Travelomania Sep 7, 2019 10:01 am

Is it possible to bypass DL's origination currency ?

I am trying to book flights originating in Europe and only can get results quoted in Euros.
Does someone know if there's a workaround, so I can avoid credit card forex fees ?

DavidDTW Sep 7, 2019 10:13 am

If you have a Delta branded Amex card, there are no forex fees.

MSPeconomist Sep 7, 2019 10:16 am

No forex or international transaction fees on the regular AmEx Plat/Centurion charge cards either, nor do they permit dynamic currency conversion even if some foreign merchant tries to do it to you.

jdrtravel Sep 7, 2019 10:47 am

If OP does not have a card without exchange fees, I would suggest calling Delta and seeing if they would be able to sell you the ticket in USD. I am not aware of any way to do this online, at least on Delta. I seem to recall some other airlines offering currency options online, but I'm not certain.

MSPeconomist Sep 7, 2019 10:54 am

OP could purchase the ticket through a good real live human TA, but that would require paying a ticketing service fee. IIRC a TA can bill in the currency of any country in which it does business or maintains a physical presence. TAs can also write tickets with different points of sale, which might also help the OP.

However, please do not use an OLTA.

gitismatt Sep 7, 2019 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31500964)

why's that

Grouchy Sep 7, 2019 1:48 pm

Call the Delta medallion desk and let them issue the tickets. They will be in USD.

Mr. Tickets Sep 7, 2019 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Grouchy (Post 31501475)
Call the Delta medallion desk and let them issue the tickets. They will be in USD.

The tickets will be issued in originating country’s currency and billed in USD.

Travelomania Sep 7, 2019 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31500964)
OP could purchase the ticket through a good real live human TA, but that would require paying a ticketing service fee. IIRC a TA can bill in the currency of any country in which it does business or maintains a physical presence. TAs can also write tickets with different points of sale, which might also help the OP.

Thanks !
In the meantime I found out that booking through the Amex Travel website is quoting in US$.
Will receive the Plat 5x MR points too :D

ChinaShrek Sep 7, 2019 2:22 pm

Orbitz works well for this.

MSPeconomist Sep 7, 2019 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by ChinaShrek (Post 31501577)
Orbitz works well for this.

Until there's a schedule change or other problem and you're forced to deal with Orbitz.

flyerCO Sep 7, 2019 2:32 pm

I'd you call DL, they issue all tickets purchased over the phone in USD. I've purchased KLM fare from them, including SIN-DPS standalone, all issued in USD if purchased from DL main reservations.

rwoman Sep 7, 2019 4:32 pm

Whenever I call it’s billed in US$. :)

moondog Sep 7, 2019 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31501587)
Until there's a schedule change or other problem and you're forced to deal with Orbitz.

Every booking channel has its pros, cons, fans, and detractors.

flyerCO Sep 7, 2019 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 31501906)
Every booking channel has its pros, cons, fans, and detractors.

The real issue is that DL (nor OALs) will not touch a reservation for anything other than DoD IRROPS if issued via TA. You wont get the great blank check handling DL gives for schedule changes with TAs.