Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to bypass DL's origination currency ?

Is it possible to bypass DL's origination currency ?

Old Sep 7, 2019, 5:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
The real issue is that DL (nor OALs) will touch a reservation for anything other than DoD IRROPS if issued via TA. You wont get the great blank check handling DL gives for schedule changes with TAs.
.......and good luck reaching a competent and willing agent if there's a schedule change or cancellation before the day of departure.
Often1 likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 7:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is fine to book through one of the opaque vendors such as Orbitz or Expedia. That is, unless something goes wrong and you need it fixed. With the exception of day-of-travel IRROPS, you are stuck dealing with a vendor which only makes money on volume and loses money as soon as it has to have a live interaction with you.

FT is littered with the bad happenings from people who may even have saved a few dollars (or Euros) but wound up spending a lot more.

In particular, DL does not charge a phone booking fee, so there is no issue in speaking with a DL agent who, if they louse up the ticketing, can and will fix it.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 8:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Often1
It is fine to book through one of the opaque vendors such as Orbitz or Expedia. That is, unless something goes wrong and you need it fixed. With the exception of day-of-travel IRROPS, you are stuck dealing with a vendor which only makes money on volume and loses money as soon as it has to have a live interaction with you.

FT is littered with the bad happenings from people who may even have saved a few dollars (or Euros) but wound up spending a lot more.

In particular, DL does not charge a phone booking fee, so there is no issue in speaking with a DL agent who, if they louse up the ticketing, can and will fix it.
Yes, but OTAs are often godsends as well. Personally, I swear by Ctrip when booking anything from or within China because they use their leverage over airlines on behalf of customers when needed.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by moondog
Yes, but OTAs are often godsends as well. Personally, I swear by Ctrip when booking anything from or within China because they use their leverage over airlines on behalf of customers when needed.
I think the issue really is that most airlines, but especially DL are much more accommodating than TA. TA has to go by the airline rule book. The airline itself doesnt. Take my last trip in "Good Recovery", if I had booked via TA, TA would've never rerouted me via AMS to SIN. DL threw out the rulebook and did it with no issues. Now if it had been MU, I'm betting just getting rerouted on same routing would be more difficult through MU than a TA. Most airlines dont have Chinese level CS.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: DL Plat
Originally Posted by Travelomania
Thanks !
In the meantime I found out that booking through the Amex Travel website is quoting in US$.
Will receive the Plat 5x MR points too
ummm u dont have to book through amex to get 5x points with the amex plat charge card, also no forex fees with that card
Old Sep 8, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by runningformqm

ummm u dont have to book through amex to get 5x points with the amex plat charge card, also no forex fees with that card

Good points!
I think op may be thinking of the hotel MR points bonus for the card. You can only get hotel bonus points if you book the reservation through Amex.
runningformqm likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Originally Posted by runningformqm

I believe with the Business version I would have to book through their travel website.
Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.