Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Complimentary Upgrade Fare Class Order

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Complimentary Upgrade Fare Class Order

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bloc0102
After status level it goes:

Fare class
Reserve card holders
Corporate travelers
Whether or not you have met MQD for the year
Time of request
Unless something has changed this isnt a part of the calculation.
gooselee likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 5:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Unless something has changed this isnt a part of the calculation.
It is if you hit the 25K MQD waiver on your DL branded AMEX credit card, not MQDs for your status level.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 5:35 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
It is if you hit the 25K MQD waiver on your DL branded AMEX credit card, not MQDs for your status level.
Does anyone know if the tiebreaker requires $250K in spend if you are Diamond, or the $25K waiver counts? I'm debating getting the waiver in January if it helps upgrade priority before the revenue mile bonus goes away on the Reserve - but I don't want to waste time if it needs $250K.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 7:35 pm

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Sorry, that's what I meant, left out the word waiver.

Originally Posted by ethernal
Does anyone know if the tiebreaker requires $250K in spend if you are Diamond, or the $25K waiver counts? I'm debating getting the waiver in January if it helps upgrade priority before the revenue mile bonus goes away on the Reserve - but I don't want to waste time if it needs $250K.
I've wondered this too, but is irrelevant to me.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 8:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MIA-SAT
As an AA EXP shifting to become a DL DM, do I understand correctly that Y/T/D spending is not a relevant tie breaker factor within elite classes for upgrades? DL doesn't engage in "what have you spent with me in the last 12 months" ordering like AA does?
Not all airline FF programs use the same rules. There are other differences between AA and DL too.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 9:35 pm

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
Originally Posted by bloc0102
After status level it goes:

Fare class
Reserve card holders
Corporate travelers
Whether or not you have met MQD for the year
Time of request
I'll throw this back out there: a suspected unwritten factor: million miler status.
This only applies in the case the Rule #1 : Medallion status is the same, but if true, would be like a 1a in the hierarchy of tie-breakers.

Million Miler upgrade advantage?
Old Oct 11, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by BHammy
I'll throw this back out there: a suspected unwritten factor: million miler status.
This only applies in the case the Rule #1 : Medallion status is the same, but if true, would be like a 1a in the hierarchy of tie-breakers.

Million Miler upgrade advantage?
This is definitely not the case. If it does make a difference (unlikely), it is probably one of the last tie breakers and definitely not the first - it is clearly behind, at a minimum, regular Medallion status, fare class, and Reserve card.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA gold, AA Plat, HHonors diamond, DL DM
I don't really want another credit card. Any ad hoc opinions as to whether the tie breaking factor of the card is worth the annual fee? I have club entrance with my Amex, so the DL card provides no value there.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 2:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MIA-SAT
I don't really want another credit card. Any ad hoc opinions as to whether the tie breaking factor of the card is worth the annual fee? I have club entrance with my Amex, so the DL card provides no value there.
There are other ways the Reserve card is valuable in addition to the regular AmEx Plat charge card.

However, for upgrades, the answer IMO depends on whether you often find yourself on the bubble as the first or second person not to be upgraded on your flights according to the list on the app, which of course depends on your travel patterns as well as fare class and elite tier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.