SEA-PVG-SZX (how to connect in PVG?)

Old Sep 1, 19, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Delta 1MM, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
SEA-PVG-SZX (how to connect in PVG?)

I looked at the other threads and see conflicting information, so hoping someone can settle it for me (Delta is no help). Flying Delta SEA-PVG, connecting on China Eastern to SZX. 2 hour connection. When I arrive in Shanghai, I assume I go through immigration, since the onward flight is domestic, but is there a way to transit airside without exiting into Shanghai? (no checked bags). Any tips or insight would also be helpful. Thanks!
Old Sep 1, 19, 3:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
To clarify, would this all be on one ticket and one PNR?

BTW, be aware that you probably need a visa.
Old Sep 1, 19, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Delta 1MM, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Yes one PNR, one ticket booked on Delta stock
Old Sep 1, 19, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jj243 View Post
I looked at the other threads and see conflicting information, so hoping someone can settle it for me (Delta is no help). Flying Delta SEA-PVG, connecting on China Eastern to SZX. 2 hour connection. When I arrive in Shanghai, I assume I go through immigration, since the onward flight is domestic, but is there a way to transit airside without exiting into Shanghai? (no checked bags). Any tips or insight would also be helpful. Thanks!
No. You will need to clear border control in Shanghai. After that, assuming you already have a boarding pass for PVG-SZX, you can proceed to domestic security.

FYI, CX flies SEA-HKG nonstop every day. I strongly prefer HKG to SZX myself (most of my Shenzhen business is in Nanshan so the ferries are pretty convenient).
Old Sep 1, 19, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog View Post
After that, assuming you already have a boarding pass for PVG-SZX, you can proceed to domestic security.
Thanks. Do you know if the Delta printed China Eastern bp is sufficient? I remember sometimes needing to get a bp reprinted with the operating carrier.
Old Sep 1, 19, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. Do you know if the Delta printed China Eastern bp is sufficient? I remember sometimes needing to get a bp reprinted with the operating carrier.
I would guess "yes", but if you find yourself walking past a kiosk, it wouldn't hurt to print out another BP there (i.e. on rare occasion, I have been rejected by security because they only wanted locally printed BPs).
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 2, 19, 12:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Be aware of increased military exercise now in the month of September - hence, your PVG-SZX flight might be severely delayed.
Usually, SEA-HKG on CX is not affected by these exercises because CX can avoid Mainland China airspace.
craig44485 likes this.
Old Sep 2, 19, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by warakorn View Post
Be aware of increased military exercise now in the month of September - hence, your PVG-SZX flight might be severely delayed.
Usually, SEA-HKG on CX is not affected by these exercises because CX can avoid Mainland China airspace.
I've heard through the grapevine that there won't be any military exercises along major trunk routes this year. No guarantees though, of course.

Last edited by moondog; Sep 2, 19 at 1:12 am
Old Sep 2, 19, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the tips guys. So far flight is on time though I see a lot of delays. Would like to share my experience for any who are interested. Arrived Terminal 1 and instead of exiting the normal way, went to the left for a transfer specific immigration. This immigration area took about 20 mins but I can see how this would take longer since there were only 3 stations. That being said, they were looking for people with tight connections. After immigration we went to the customs area- this was quite confusing as they were only accepting passengers arriving from particular flights (and not “the Delta one”- lots of frustrated passengers). It seems they weren’t letting passengers through customs until all checked luggage from the arriving flight had been screened- guess you don’t need to pick up checked luggage, checked all the way through. What wasn’t clear until I asked is that anyone with carry-ons only could go through whenever. From there, it was onto security check. In total, it took about 1 hour to get through the process.
Old Sep 2, 19, 6:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75k, DL DM, UA 1k, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks for all the tips guys. So far flight is on time though I see a lot of delays. Would like to share my experience for any who are interested.

Thanks for posting and relaying info! I'll be doing same in a month. No visa needed for passthrough (connection only) on same PNR?
Old Sep 2, 19, 8:30 am

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott Amb (LT Titanium)
Originally Posted by LoungeLizardHugo View Post
Thanks for posting and relaying info! I'll be doing same in a month. No visa needed for passthrough (connection only) on same PNR?
Where are you connecting to? If you're connecting to somewhere in China you will need a visa. If you're connecting to outside of China (e.g. SIN, HAN, BKK, etc.) then you won't need a visa.

-RM
Old Sep 2, 19, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by RobOnLI View Post
Where are you connecting to? If you're connecting to somewhere in China you will need a visa. If you're connecting to outside of China (e.g. SIN, HAN, BKK, etc.) then you won't need a visa.

-RM
Thanks for follow-up and clarification. Itinerary: LAX->PVG->PEK->DPS. Layovers are all <3hrs. So need visa?
Old Sep 2, 19, 8:38 am

Programs: Delta PM
Thanks for follow-up and clarification. Itinerary: LAX->PVG->PEK->DPS. Layovers are all <3hrs. So need visa?
I believe you will need a Chinese visa because of the domestic segment. You will not be eligible for transit without visa because you will not be entering and exiting China from the same port of entry. You can always call the airline to confirm, who will check TIMATIC and can verify.

ETA: I may be incorrect - additional info posted below. Still recommend calling airline.

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Sep 2, 19 at 8:51 am
Old Sep 2, 19, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR View Post
I believe you will need a Chinese visa because of the domestic segment. You will not be eligible for transit without visa because you will not be entering and exiting China from the same port of entry. You can always call the airline to confirm, who will check TIMATIC and can verify.
Makes sense. I will contact airline to confirm. Thanks for feedback! I hadn't considered the two connections in China might trigger a visa need but forewarned is forearmed!
Old Sep 2, 19, 8:50 am

Programs: Delta PM
Makes sense. I will contact airline to confirm. Thanks for feedback! I hadn't considered the two connections in China might trigger a visa need but forewarned is forearmed!
I may actually be incorrect per this:
https://www.travelchinaguide.com/emb...a/free-72hour/
https://www.travelchinaguide.com/emb...sit-24hour.htm
I'm not a legal expert, but this is implying to me that for 24 hours in China, you may be able to have "multiple stops" so your PVG-PEK segment may qualify for TWOV. I would highly recommend calling the airline though as I'm not 100% I'm interpreting the 24 hour transit correctly.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: