Wiki Posts
Search

Best Way for Round Trip London

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2019, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, Marriott Titanium
Best Way for Round Trip London

I have a business trip to London coming up (and figure I'll stay the weekend and fly back Sunday to get back here Sunday afternoon/evening)

Dates: 9/11 - 9/15
Departure: Denver
Arrival: London

Current States: Platinum
MQMs: 85,643
MQDs: $8245
Card Waiver: $25k+ (no prayer of hitting $250k)

So, with less than 40,000 MQMs to Diamond and under $7000MQDs, the question becomes whether I'm able to reach Diamond this year.

Coming up in September:
- Dallas RT (through a hub from Denver)
- London as mentioned
- Houston
- San Diego

And probably another 2-3 trips to Texas and a few other cities are likely to go into the holiday season.

Is it better to fly a partner airline to London rather than book on Delta? What does this mean for upgrade opportunities? The real question here is whether I have a shot at hitting Diamond and if I think that's worth potentially sitting in the lower decks next to a bathroom on both transatlantic hops.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 2:36 pm

Assuming you're flying Y to london (given that you're asking about upgrades) it seems unlikely you're going to be able to make it to DM unless you do a milage run and/or get the Amex waiver.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 2:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Look at using VS, especially if your employer will buy premium economy. Others have reported success in using reasonable amounts of money (or DL miles???) to upgrade to their business class, but their premium select product is considered good too. If you ticket it right, you would earn MQDs as a percentage of distance (perhaps 40%) rather than spend and 125-150% MQMs IIRC, although perhaps less on the domestic coach segments depending on the fare code and booking classes for the domestic connecting flights. CarmonOM is one of our experts here on this, so look for her posts on the topic.

Since you've earned the card MQD waiver, any hope of earning more MQMs from AmEx spend?

You need to calculate the MQMs and MQDs you'll likely earn from the other planned trips you list and some hypothetical scenarios for Texas and holiday travel to see where you stand.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Look at using VS, especially if your employer will buy premium economy. Others have reported success in using reasonable amounts of money (or DL miles???) to upgrade to their business class, but their premium select product is considered good too. If you ticket it right, you would earn MQDs as a percentage of distance (perhaps 40%) rather than spend and 125-150% MQMs IIRC, although perhaps less on the domestic coach segments depending on the fare code and booking classes for the domestic connecting flights. CarmonOM is one of our experts here on this, so look for her posts on the topic.

Since you've earned the card MQD waiver, any hope of earning more MQMs from AmEx spend?

You need to calculate the MQMs and MQDs you'll likely earn from the other planned trips you list and some hypothetical scenarios for Texas and holiday travel to see where you stand.
This is exactly what I'm trying to work through.

My planned trips coming up:
- DEN-SLC-DFW-Z-MSP-DEN = ~3500 MQMs
- DEN to London RT (about 11,000 MQMs on Economy) -- Unlikely I'll be able to book anything higher since the price goes up to $3k+ and I've been approved in the $1500-1800 range.
- DEN-IAH (to be booked) - likely 3400 MQMs
- DEN-SAN (to be booked) - likely 2500MQMs

Which means I'll earn about 21,000 MQMs in September, leaving 18,000 remaining to hit Diamond.

Definitely not impossible. I think 20% with the MQDs with Virgin Economy means 11,000 x 20% = $2200 + $1700~ = $3900. That leaves just shy of $3k remaining and I have another $1200 with the DFW/SAN/IAH trips coming up, which puts me about $1500-1800 MQDs to hit Diamond, assuming I fly another 18,000~ MQMs in Oct/Nov/Dec....damn... seems doable.

Out of curiosity, how are those upgrades? Am I even giving anything up in terms of getting a Premium Select bump due to Platinum status by not booking Delta?
Old Sep 1, 2019, 3:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CJatSky
This is exactly what I'm trying to work through.

My planned trips coming up:
- DEN-SLC-DFW-Z-MSP-DEN = ~3500 MQMs
- DEN to London RT (about 11,000 MQMs on Economy) -- Unlikely I'll be able to book anything higher since the price goes up to $3k+ and I've been approved in the $1500-1800 range.
- DEN-IAH (to be booked) - likely 3400 MQMs
- DEN-SAN (to be booked) - likely 2500MQMs

Which means I'll earn about 21,000 MQMs in September, leaving 18,000 remaining to hit Diamond.

Definitely not impossible. I think 20% with the MQDs with Virgin Economy means 11,000 x 20% = $2200 + $1700~ = $3900. That leaves just shy of $3k remaining and I have another $1200 with the DFW/SAN/IAH trips coming up, which puts me about $1500-1800 MQDs to hit Diamond, assuming I fly another 18,000~ MQMs in Oct/Nov/Dec....damn... seems doable.

Out of curiosity, how are those upgrades? Am I even giving anything up in terms of getting a Premium Select bump due to Platinum status by not booking Delta?
MQDs with Virgin would be (depending on fare) 20% of 11,000 miles. I don't know where you're getting the +$1700.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
MQDs with Virgin would be (depending on fare) 20% of 11,000 miles. I don't know where you're getting the +$1700.
Oh, I thought it was 20% of the Miles Flown plus the price of the ticket itself.

If that's the case, then I'm only gaining about $500MQDs by booking Virgin instead of booking Delta. Maybe to maintain upgrade eligibility on my Domestic hops, at least, I should book Delta rather than Virgin.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...pgrade-vs.html

There's no Premium Select bump due to Platinum status unless you pay for it or get an OPUP. You would get a Comfort+ upgrade, if available.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 4:10 pm

there are no free medallion upgrades to premium select
Old Sep 1, 2019, 4:26 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
VS is awesome
Remember, you will get miles based on what you purchase, not likely the upgraded seat via $$ or VS miles. Also if you want to play the MQM/D game you need to buy VS coded flights only, no delta flight numbers. No upgrade benefits on VS and you can only upgrade with VS miles.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
MSPeconomist is generous to call me an expert, but I do a bit of creative route planning each year to make Platinum. I have two great advantages over the OP in regard to my travel: I only need the $25K AmEx waiver since I am aiming for PM, and I am retired and a leisure traveler, so have the time and flexibility for longer routes and for choosing lower priced travel dates.

I usually book Premium Economy on international flights; the 150% MQM makes a big difference in accumulating MQMs, not to mention the greater comfort. I also look at longer, somewhat more circuitous routes, which add MQM and also provide more PE options.

Here’s an example:

For a trip to England in September, a round trip MSP-LHR itinerary would earn about 8072 MQM. I am flying MSP-ATL-MAN (it actually suits my plans to fly to MAN) on the outbound and LHR-JFK-MSP on the return, with the TATL portions in PE on VS. Total MQM earnings: 13339. I paid $1640 and could have gotten it for a bit less if I hadn’t dawdled on the purchase. That price is within what the OP’s employer would cover.

It seems to me the OP has a Catch-22 in terms of accumulating the MQD while flying within the his/her employers travel budget restrictions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.