Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Seat advice - DL40 SYD-LAX Premium Economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2019, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, American Airlines, United, Southwest

I am booked on DL40 SYD to LAX and was assigned Premium Select (A) seats in row 17. Two seats were open in row 16 - H & K. I moved to those seats, thinking there would be a little more leg room. Was that a good move or should I move back to row 17 (or 18). There aren't any pairs of seats on the sides (which I would choose if any open up).

Any advice provided would be appreciated.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by cruise4u
I am booked on DL40 SYD to LAX and was assigned Premium Select (A) seats in row 17. Two seats were open in row 16 - H & K. I moved to those seats, thinking there would be a little more leg room. Was that a good move or should I move back to row 17 (or 18). There aren't any pairs of seats on the sides (which I would choose if any open up).

Any advice provided would be appreciated.
What equipment?
Old Aug 31, 2019, 2:06 pm

This flight is generally 777-200 with the delta one suites / recent refresh.

Originally Posted by Tine Rod

What equipment?
Old Aug 31, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
There is no row 17 on a DL 777 or A350. I think you must be on Virgin Australia's 777 (PS starts at row 20 on both a/c). You might want to check the Virgin Australia forum for seat advice.

Edited to add: Seats H & K are the 2 seats on the sides on VA. Are you selecting seats on the Delta website for a Virgin flight? May want to go to the virgin site, perhaps this is causing a glitch.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tine Rod

What equipment?
Delta website shows Boeing 777-200LR. I was in error in my original post. I changed our seats to 20 E, F - the first row in Premium Select. The seats I referred to in my first post are the seats we have on our flight from LAX to MEL - on Delta DL 6792 Boeing 777-300ER (Virgin Australia hardware). Row 17 is the middle of three rows in their Premium section and we have a window/aisle pair of seats.

Delta DL40 Premium Select section image is shown here:

Delta DL40 SYD-LAX Premium Select seating chart
:
Old Aug 31, 2019, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
There is no row 17 on a DL 777 or A350. I think you must be on Virgin Australia's 777 (PS starts at row 20 on both a/c). You might want to check the Virgin Australia forum for seat advice.

Edited to add: Seats H & K are the 2 seats on the sides on VA. Are you selecting seats on the Delta website for a Virgin flight? May want to go to the virgin site, perhaps this is causing a glitch.
My mistake.. We are in row 17 - seats J & K on our flight from LAX to MEL. Yes, it is a Virgin Australia plane - Boeing 777-300ER per the Delta website. The seats were assigned by VA.

The seats I moved to on Delta 6792 are in row 20, the first row in Premium Select on the 777-200LR. The two seats that were available in row 20 are E & F. We were originally in row 21 E & F. There are lots of seats available in the middle sections of 4 seats. No pairs available on the sides. I am wondering whether the first row is better or worse than the second or third rows. Since the foot/leg rest is part of the seat, I am guessing it makes no difference in that respect. The biggest difference in not having a seat in front of you - and, consequently, not having a screen on the seat back. Presumably, the screen is in the arm rest. Is that correct?
Old Aug 31, 2019, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium

Originally Posted by cruise4u
My mistake.. We are in row 17 - seats J & K on our flight from LAX to MEL. Yes, it is a Virgin Australia plane - Boeing 777-300ER per the Delta website. The seats were assigned by VA.

The seats I moved to on Delta 6792 are in row 20, the first row in Premium Select on the 777-200LR. The two seats that were available in row 20 are E & F. We were originally in row 21 E & F. There are lots of seats available in the middle sections of 4 seats. No pairs available on the sides. I am wondering whether the first row is better or worse than the second or third rows. Since the foot/leg rest is part of the seat, I am guessing it makes no difference in that respect. The biggest difference in not having a seat in front of you - and, consequently, not having a screen on the seat back. Presumably, the screen is in the arm rest. Is that correct?
Appears that way as there’s no screens mounted on the bulkhead in the below pic. Other rows the tv is in the seat-back. To me it’s a reasonable tradeoff to be able to get out of the seat much more easily tho (I’ll be in the first row in PE in AA’s 777 and selected the first row for this reason).

Old Feb 2, 2020, 12:14 am

Delta PM here looking to book LAX-SYD on either DL41 or VA2 in Premium Economy.... Curious to know if any of you Delta fliers prefer one premium product over the other if the option is either Delta or Virgin Australia?
Old Feb 2, 2020, 12:49 am

The bulkhead seats are terrible as the power plug is right by your thigh. Could never stay in place and my leg bumps it

choose a non bulkhead seat
Old Feb 2, 2020, 6:04 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, million miler
I have flown both recently. Pick VA. Much better product. They close premium select off from the rest of the plane, just like delta one. You have your own bathrooms, fridge with beverages and some snacks out the entire flight. Service is better all around as well as is the food. VA is great for long hauls but not short hauls within Australia.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by spryam
I have flown both recently. Pick VA. Much better product. They close premium select off from the rest of the plane, just like delta one. You have your own bathrooms, fridge with beverages and some snacks out the entire flight. Service is better all around as well as is the food. VA is great for long hauls but not short hauls within Australia.
Thanks! I am a little concerned of the lack of double-width armrests between seats in VA's premium cabin. Most other premium products have the double-width armrests, and makes it much nicer as an added buffer to prevent bumping shoulders. Anyone have experience with that in VA premium?
Old Feb 3, 2020, 12:38 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by FoxCrane
Thanks! I am a little concerned of the lack of double-width armrests between seats in VA's premium cabin. Most other premium products have the double-width armrests, and makes it much nicer as an added buffer to prevent bumping shoulders. Anyone have experience with that in VA premium?
While I don't have direct experience with the arm rests, VA's seats have an extra 3in of pitch vs. DL's seats. The recline on VA is also a little more generous. It's up to you whether you prefer more legroom or more width between seats.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 4:41 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
VA may have a 'single' armrest but the 'double' armrests on DL are not exactly twice as wide. I'd say the DL armrests are maybe 15mm wider at most. And you trade that off for seat width (both are 2-4-2 config), and I'd take seat width over armrest width.

Probably the only thing DL has in it's favor is that the planes are much newer inside. VA is starting to show its age, but still generally quite good. Otherwise DL PS is like an average domestic F product, with particularly poor legroom (you get the same legroom on VA EconomyX!). It's so tight that the legrests are kind of useless IMO.

VA has a wider seat, more pitch, more recline, real glass & cutlery, a real wine list, better food, and generally much better service. Plus VA has a much smaller and more private cabin (half the size of DL PS). VA every day of the week.

If you get a PE bulkhead seat on VA, they hand you a foam block to use as a footrest after takeoff.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Feb 3, 2020 at 4:50 pm
Old Feb 3, 2020, 4:56 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by spryam
VA is great for long hauls but not short hauls within Australia.
OT but I'm not sure why you'd say that. VA and QF are indisputably the two best airlines in Australia, although it is quite debatable which one is #1 .

I think VA has a great domestic product, I prefer its Y product to any US airline and it's domestic J is at least equal to or better than any USA F. VA's food in J is vastly better than any USA F food.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 5:23 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, million miler
No video screens on flights across the country.. Seats are crammed. Food was inedible. At least the first drink is free and then they charge. I didn’t find qantas that great either. Both airlines though have very outgoing and friendly flight attendants. Maybe they just like my midwestern accent!😁

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.