Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Did you get compensated for lost luggage?

Old Aug 30, 19, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, MM

Hi, everyone, I took a flight MKE-DTW-JFK-SNN on Tuesday and arrived on Wednesday. I arrived in SNN but my luggage didnít. For some reason it was rerouted MKE-ATL-JFK-SNN. It is now Friday and my luggage was delivered to my hotel an hour ago.

I had had to buy some toiletry and clothing items that were in my lost luggage totaling about Ä50. I called DL and asked what compensation I could expect. They offered me a $100 gift card which would include compensation for the Ä50. So I would clear about $40. If I wanted anything more, like miles or more money I would have to take it further.

So now my question is how much compensation did you receive, if any, on lost/delayed luggage? Thank you!

Old Aug 30, 19, 8:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
To be clear, you are due cold hard cash (or its equivalent) for your interim expenses of EUR 50. DL is offering you $100 in the form of a gift card. This will typically include Amex as a choice. If you do that, you will have $100 or about EUR 90.

I am trying hard to imagine why one would take 50 instead of 90, given that the form of payment is effectively the same, e.g. cash equivalent in both cases.

Don't sweat the difference between Montreal Convention reimbursement of interim expenses and DL's characterization of compensation.
jaimemayo likes this.
Old Aug 30, 19, 9:58 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
A few years ago on a CDG-LHR-BOS itinerary my first flight was delayed at CDG by fog. I barely made the connection at LHR; my luggage did not make it. My suitcase was delivered to me in Providence (about 1.5 hours from BOS) two days later. Delta reimbursed me for about $140 in clothing I purchased on the second day, at that time still uncertain when my bag would reach me. I did not request, nor did I receive, any compensation beyond the new clothes.
jaimemayo likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: