Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SFO Runway 28L Closure for 20 days starting Sept 7

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2019, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Print Wikipost

SFO Runway 28L Closure for 20 days starting Sept 7

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2019, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by kjnangre
You should read my post above. I've been thru several previous rounds of SFO runway maintenance. The significant delays are usually limited to RJs. SFO delays are already factored into DL's schedule. I wouldn't expect much impact on DL's operation and I think it's likely you will arrive on time, or within 10 minutes or so (kinda like I said, the time to write this thread)
So looking at what’s happening right now, if we were taking our trip today (actual departure is next week), our flight out of SFO is currently predicted to depart more than 2 1/2 hours late, guaranteeing a missed connection in SEA. I haven’t spent 2 1/2 hours writing this thread and perhaps things will go better next week but it seems your somewhat patronizing reassurances may have been premature.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
I'll never understand why anyone wants to fly into SFO unless they are going to anywhere between Redwood City and San Francisco. That airport has issues more often then not. Plus, the runway construction was known for a while and this airport can not handle a minor disturbance, let alone having half its runways out of service.
PurdueFlyer likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 10:50 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
I'll never understand why anyone wants to fly into SFO unless they are going to anywhere between Redwood City and San Francisco. That airport has issues more often then not. Plus, the runway construction was known for a while and this airport can not handle a minor disturbance, let alone having half its runways out of service.
Some of us prefer flying in and out of OAK But alas in recent years pricing/routing/timing has made that harder for me to do on DL, leaving SFO as the next viable option for DL flights (with my final destination being in the east bay).
Old Sep 10, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL PL
because there is no late night departure (8:30pm) DTW-SJC. Though DL will finally do that mid-Nov, which will make things much easier.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Strength of schedule and sometimes price. For example, there is no MSP-OAK nonstop and the MSP-SJC schedule is thin and fares are high.

Fog delays in SFO are rarely worse than the time added to connect somewhere

That being said, DL1505 has been five hours late every day so far so I am mulling my options. The waiver isn't particularly helpful since I won't really know until day-of which flight will take me from MSP to the Bay Area around 6pm, and SDC would already give me last-seat availability to hop on something else.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: DL
Has anyone been able to do fun things with this waiver at all?
Old Sep 10, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
https://www.fly.faa.gov/ois/

This is an all-scope (all US ATC centers) + Vancouver center ATC program ... so this is hardly an "RJ only" / west coast type of thing that they normally see. Everyone is sharing the pain. I had 2 JFK-SFO flights on Saturday that were both 3 hours late (and that's with a reduced Saturday schedule)

The really telling sign - if you can decipher it - click the FAA link above. 25 AAR (arrival rate per hour), then click on the ADVZY link for SFO (right now its #030 ). The effective time for this program is 101211 - 110859. That's the UTC date and time. 1211Z on the 10th until 0859Z on the 11th. So they came out with the GDP today at 511am Pacific Time, and its expected to end tomorrow at 159am Pacific Time. That's basically 21 straight hours of GDP. Even on bad days SFO usually cleans up by 9 or 10pm. What they are saying is that the delays are so bad, that there's still too much "demand" on the airport that they still need a GDP to control that flow ... at 2 in the freaking morning.

That is a really significant construction impact.
SJC ORD LDR and ryw like this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 11:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Within the last couple days, there was a SunCountry flight from SFO to MSP that was delayed for fourteen and a half hours, with passengers getting no information or help. Apparently it was scheduled to depart around midnight, got delayed, the crew timed out, and they finally left the next day around 2:30 pm.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Sep 10, 2019 at 12:56 pm Reason: Correcting autocorrect
Old Sep 10, 2019, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by PurdueFlyer
That's basically 21 straight hours of GDP. Even on bad days SFO usually cleans up by 9 or 10pm. What they are saying is that the delays are so bad, that there's still too much "demand" on the airport that they still need a GDP to control that flow ... at 2 in the freaking morning.

That is a really significant construction impact.
AAR is capped at 27 while 28L is closed, and it's closed 24/7 so...

It has been even worse this week as SFO has seen strong westerly winds which have taken 1L out of service for hours at a time, reducing the entire airport to a single runway for all movements.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Within the last couple days, there was a SunCountry flight from SFO to MSP that was delayed for fourteen and a half hours, with passengers getting no information or help. Apparently it was scheduled to depend around midnight, got delayed, the crew timed out, and they finally left the next day around 2:30 pm.
Yikes. Must have been Sunday night's SY398 where the inbound didn't arrive until 02:30 or so.. SY has not had the greatest record for service recovery since they got sold and gutted.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Waiver applied

Having read in today’s news that DL has improved its waiver terms I decided to hedge my bet and add an additional 2 hours to our layover in SEA and secure a couple of seats now on a later connection.

Phone wait time on the PL line was under 3 minutes. They’re still sorting this out, apparently, as initially a hefty fare difference charge was showing, and the agent had to do some work to get it done without charging fare difference. Waiver applied, even swap and got the instant C+ upgrade as well. I like these odds better and don’t mind a couple of extra hours in the SC should the originating flight arrive on schedule. ^
Old Sep 10, 2019, 1:33 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dlflyer00
Has anyone been able to do fun things with this waiver at all?
I’m curious about that too given that the waiver looks like it only allows for rebooking to SFO at another time/flight (not sure how that really helps given that the airport faces constraints almost 24 hrs/day) and doesn’t seem to allow flexibility to fly to co-terminals of SFO. Will be interested to see if anyone is able to do that with the waiver.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 1:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL PL
did co-terminal to SJC, the agent was nice and said we'll do what we can to make things right for you.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ryw
I’m curious about that too given that the waiver looks like it only allows for rebooking to SFO at another time/flight (not sure how that really helps given that the airport faces constraints almost 24 hrs/day) and doesn’t seem to allow flexibility to fly to co-terminals of SFO. Will be interested to see if anyone is able to do that with the waiver.
"(UPDATE) On Tuesday Sept 10, Delta updated its policy regarding SFO flights. A spokesperson said Delta will work with travelers with SFO reservations to switch flights to OAK or SJC any time before Sept 27 with no fee and no fare difference. It also will work with passengers to postpone trips from today until Sept 27 without a fee or fare difference..." https://www.sfgate.com/travel/articl...o-14425016.php

I kept my SFO departure but switched my connection out of SEA to a later one (my choice to do it that way), waiver applied, no additional costs, C+ upgrade received. As I mentioned in my previous post, this is all in flux atm, not all agents have the very latest info, but mine was very proactive and took care of us.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 2:10 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by ryw
I was hoping to do something fun like change SFO-MEX to SFO-ICN-MEX, but don’t think they’re going to let me.
ryw likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Strength of schedule and sometimes price. For example, there is no MSP-OAK nonstop and the MSP-SJC schedule is thin and fares are high.
No MSP-OAK on DL but WN started the route before suspending it with the Max groundings. Presumably it'll come back when those are flying again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.