Wiki Posts
Search

GA bypasses upgrade yet again

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2019, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, HH Plat, National Executive
GA bypasses upgrade yet again

I know, YBYL. I didn't really care on this day because the trip was ATL-IND and fairly short and the seat in question was 1A.

I was next on the list (took a screenshot to send to cust care when I got slighted). I was joking with my co-working sitting next to me that I really didn't want the hassle of dealing with going 11C to 1A as there was no storage left OH. However, I felt the need to report this not for me obviously but to stop this happening for all of us.

GA comes on board, with couple pieces of paper and I'm expecting him to ask me the obvious. Walks to the back, then to the front. Then turns to the passenger in 10B (middle) and says, "You look uncomfortable, come on up." and moves him to 1A. I told my co-worker that while I'm not upset because I was just going to give it up, THIS guy should be (person behind me on the list). As I have no idea if he would truly want the seat.

Informed Delta through twitter with all the relevant details and they said, quote."Unfortunately we cannot determine why you where not upgraded on your flight today. In the future, talk to the GA." Just reaffirms what we know - YBYL.

Now, had this been a longer haul flight I would have 100% waited to board until the very last minute hence YBYL. You can see the agent agrees with me on (like to assume it's my reference to the GA and not the fact I shouldn't have to do it :/) this in my screenshot below. Reaffirmation I guess that we should always do this since some GA's are oblivious. Very frustrating a simple process can't be followed consistently. Especially at the mother ship.

Old Aug 27, 2019, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Did the list show him as an upgrade? This can be SHENNA or he could've been next. The lists DL publishes aren't as straightforward as they seem.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

n
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Did the list show him as an upgrade? This can be SHENNA or he could've been next. The lists DL publishes aren't as straightforward as they seem.
Nope, I was next on the on the list. He had already been promoted up to comfort plus. I was already sitting in C+ at the time.

Regardless, the GA made an in the moment decision of opinion (you look uncomfortable) vs consulting their app.

Last edited by charlesdemar; Aug 28, 2019 at 8:26 am
Old Aug 27, 2019, 7:52 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
I'm not necessarily blaming someone or faulting someone but I always try to think what's going on in the GAs mind when boarding starts. There's like 1000 things going on and I find it easy to overlook things. In other words its not like gate agents come together and say, "we don't like elites so we won't upgrade them" or something like that. If the flight is ready to close and then things are slowed down because the GA has to come on the plane to possible upgrade one person because a seat happened to become empty, it would piss me off a little. YBYL. Now what the GA did isn't right but I try to be understanding.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by charlesdemar
Nope, I was next on the on the list. He had already been promoted up to comfort plus. I was already sitting in C+ at the time.

Regardless, the GA made a in the moment decision of opinion (you look uncomfortable) vs consulting their app.
I get you showed #1 . However this doesn't mean you're actually #1 . You can have displaced F passengers, etc..
Old Aug 27, 2019, 8:39 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by jackvogt
I'm not necessarily blaming someone or faulting someone but I always try to think what's going on in the GAs mind when boarding starts. There's like 1000 things going on and I find it easy to overlook things. In other words its not like gate agents come together and say, "we don't like elites so we won't upgrade them" or something like that. If the flight is ready to close and then things are slowed down because the GA has to come on the plane to possible upgrade one person because a seat happened to become empty, it would piss me off a little. YBYL. Now what the GA did isn't right but I try to be understanding.
to play devil's advocate to your point, following the upgrade procedure and giving them in the order of the upgrade list is thing 1001 on the list. it's part of the GA's job, especially since DL made such a big deal about trying to get rid of the YBYL policy. if a gate agent can't follow procedure then we shouldn't just excuse it by saying "their job is hectic so it's ok that they took a shortcut." what would your boss say if you took a shortcut here and there with negative sentiment to customers?
ATLflyer2017 and charlesdemar like this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 9:42 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
Realizing the pressure that gate agents operate under, I would be fine with transferring the onboard upgrade control to the lead flight attendant, who could access the list on the hand held device he/she uses. The gate agent could come on the plane to close the door, tell the FA that everyone is boarded, shut the door, and leave. The FA then looks at the list and promotes the next passenger to F.

This would have been difficult before every flight attendant was outfitted with the devices, but now it seems like it would be easy.

And in that scenario, if you are #1 on the list, then when you board you could whisper in the flight attendant's ear, "I'm number one on the upgrade list and sitting in 11A. Please come get me if there are any open seats once the door closes."
ryw and Thysk like this.

Last edited by Robert Leach; Aug 27, 2019 at 9:48 pm
Old Aug 27, 2019, 10:17 pm

Programs: DL DM
When I stay in gate area as #1, invariably FC boards full, I don’t get upgrade, I walk into blazing hot Atlanta jetbridge full of BE zone passengers and get to my C+ seat to find overhead bins full.

When I board as #1, I get plenty of OH space, get to watch 30 min of tv, and just before boarding the GA asks if I want to move up front.

These two examples came from the outbound and return of a ATL-DEN. One data point was enough for me, forget YBYL. Yes, I see reason to be annoyed about potentially being passed over, but I would chalk up as isolated incident. Even if remaining in the gate area in this case would have ensured the upgrade, I doubt that would happen often.
Thysk and hi55us like this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 3:33 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by flyerCO
This, did you check the upgraded list??

While I suspect the OP is right... it is possible that the GA said 'you look uncomfortable' to the person that deserved the upgrade. It wouldn't be an unreasonable thing to say, the GA could joke about the situation and it is still valid.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 4:44 am

I complained after “my” FC upgrade seat went out empty with me at the top of the UG list and got 9,000 SM as an apology.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 6:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
Realizing the pressure that gate agents operate under, I would be fine with transferring the onboard upgrade control to the lead flight attendant, who could access the list on the hand held device he/she uses. The gate agent could come on the plane to close the door, tell the FA that everyone is boarded, shut the door, and leave. The FA then looks at the list and promotes the next passenger to F.

This would have been difficult before every flight attendant was outfitted with the devices, but now it seems like it would be easy.

And in that scenario, if you are #1 on the list, then when you board you could whisper in the flight attendant's ear, "I'm number one on the upgrade list and sitting in 11A. Please come get me if there are any open seats once the door closes."
The whisper wouldn't work unless you're a nonrev, in which case you wouldn't be on the upgrade list. FAs are prohibited from upgrading revenue passengers on board (obviously unless instructed by the GA before doors close), although nonrevs can be moved up into empty seats.

It would help to know a bit more about 10B beyond the fact that the person apparently got a C+ "upgrade" at the gate before boarding. Was this a BE passenger who got a fairly lucky seat assignment or was it an elite how perhaps did a SDC or SDS to get onto the flight? Was it a nonrev? And, given the uncomfortable comment, was this a POS who was spilling over into the space of 10A and 10C, so that the GA was effectively rewarding him/her for failing to purchase a second seat?

If the DL upgrade criterion becomes "looking uncomfortable" the GA should have moved up someone from a middle seat in the last row on this flight and going forward, we should all get some "fat suits" to wear while boarding and remove in the aircraft lavatory once it's clear that FC is really full.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 6:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Robert Leach

FA's should not be in the UG business and they have many other tasks to complete during the boarding process.

All of these threads simply show that the best policy for the most passengers was and now ought to be: YBYL with the limited exception for the GA who expressly tells a passenger that he may board and still be fished forward later.

Simply not having passengers shlepping upstream with their carryons while boarding is completing is in and of itself good enough reason. But, all of the rants surrounding current practice suggest that it just does not work within the confines of the duties of a GA.
WillBarrett_68 likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 7:49 am

<Puts on the 'Bubba' hat - and mask for good measure>

WFBF!! And all will be well
Old Aug 28, 2019, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by ajggiant
[left]When I stay in gate area as #1, invariably FC boards full, I don’t get upgrade, I walk into blazing hot Atlanta jetbridge full of BE zone passengers and get to my C+ seat to find overhead bins full.
You play the game, you take your chances. If you need overhead space, don't roll the dice. If you want to play the game, consider packing less stuff.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
You play the game, you take your chances. If you need overhead space, don't roll the dice. If you want to play the game, consider packing less stuff.
Always. Unless my trip is more than a couple of days, I travel with only a backpack for the explicit purpose of avoiding the OH anxiety pre-board which allows me to casually get to the plane.

To answer a couple of questions regarding my original post:

- I was the next to be upgraded on the list (took a screenshot of the list I provided @Delta). 10B had already been processed into the C+ seat and was already in it when I boarded. As I was boarding, those moving up into F by UG were receiving their slips of paper upon BP scan. So, he would have received one then if he was supposed to. 1A was an upgraded no-show.
- The person in 10B was a normal dude; not exceptionally large, or anything like that. The only thing that was different is 10A had an infant in arms (probably about 14 months old, behaved very well the entire flight/preboard). So, that was probably the reason for the comfort comment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.