Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Vacations 2cpm

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: WN A+/CP
Originally Posted by dominick
Thanks for the intel. Do we have clarity on what "other locations" means? I try to plug in a flight to Paris + car rental, and it doesn't appear that I can use miles on the sidebar.

I can also assume that if I go ahead above and cancel a trip within 24 hours, then that voucher can be used for Air+Car rather than Air+hotel?

I booked and tried to cancel online. The system tried to charge a fee so I called and the fee was waived. The voucher will come after manual processing and should be usable on any delta vacation. The rep told me that travel must be booked through delta vacation within a year and multiple vouchers can be applied. When I get the voucher, I can paste the terms here.
cnn likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by bgriff
Is there any such thing as an exception fare on partner-marketed flights?

I am seeing some marginally tempting offers in the $4-4.5K neighborhood for NYC-BKK on KE-marketed flights or NYC-JNB on VS-marketed flights in discounted business class fare buckets (R and Z respectively). ....
Are you reading the quote page correct? Note that on the page that lists flight choices, the $ amount is the amount over the cheapest fare. Select one and look at the price top right.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 2:59 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Are you seeing this on Delta Vacations? Just pick up the phone and ask about the specific fares.
Yeah seeing this on the website. I'm not sure if Delta Vacations would even have an answer to the question though?

For example:

I'm assuming these VS flights (which correspond to other VS flights on the outbound) earn at the normal 200% RDM/150% MQM/40% MQD rates for a VS-marketed Z fare, but I don't know if there's a way to be certain of that up front.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 3:07 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by exwannabe
Are you reading the quote page correct? Note that on the page that lists flight choices, the $ amount is the amount over the cheapest fare. Select one and look at the price top right.
Yeah. Whole package price is around $4400 as shown on hotel page. Then flights are +$0 on both flight selection pages (or + very little, like +$3.60 for some KE options).

There are unsurprisingly even cheaper options originating from YYZ -- I see US$3500 for some YYZ-JNB packages although I haven't come across any that have partner-coded flights on the return, only KL-coded outbound and DL-coded return.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 4:31 pm

Is there any such thing as an exception fare on partner-marketed flights?

I am seeing some marginally tempting offers in the $4-4.5K neighborhood for NYC-BKK on KE-marketed flights or NYC-JNB on VS-marketed flights in discounted business class fare buckets (R and Z respectively). Either one would earn 7K+ roundtrip MQDs, nearly 30K MQMs and nearly 60K RDMs for a DM if they earn according to the regular tables for those partners.

I'm short on MQDs this year so very tempted to burn ~200K SkyMiles for this as a status run; with the RDMs it would be a net cost of ~140K SkyMiles for a bunch of MQDs and MQMs. Given the rapidly diminishing ways to otherwise use SkyMiles in attractive ways I might just value maintaining DM at that price.

But obviously if I somehow failed to earn the miles as anticipated it would be a big waste.
Last year I bought a vacation package through Expedia with KL-marketed DL-operated flights (Z fare). It was definitely a non-published fare based on the price. I earned the fully expected MQDs/MQMs/RDMs from the partner earnings table shown for KLM. I realize it was Expedia and not Delta Vacations, but I would hope that wouldn't matter.

I'm also looking into these JFK-JNB VS-marketed flights, but in V class which should still earn 25% MQD / 125% MQM / 125% RDM. The miles I would earn with DM bonus nearly offsets all the miles that the trip would cost - and I would earn most of the MQDs that I still need to keep DM. I have one of these on hold now and it's showing up in My Trips on the Delta web site as "Economy Delight (V)". SFO-JNB or LAX-JNB are even better, and the miles earned more than covers the cost of the trip, other than the cost of the positioning flight.
bgriff and Pocatello like this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 6:01 pm

I've seen some $1500/2 ppl examples in E+ YYZ-various places in Europe. $2200/2 ppl to S Africa. These are with the cheapest hotels, which you can throw-away. For 37.5k, and 55.5k "redemptions" for a paid ticket respectively- it's not a bad way to go!
Old Aug 28, 2019, 6:13 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by uitailgater
Last year I bought a vacation package through Expedia with KL-marketed DL-operated flights (Z fare). It was definitely a non-published fare based on the price. I earned the fully expected MQDs/MQMs/RDMs from the partner earnings table shown for KLM. I realize it was Expedia and not Delta Vacations, but I would hope that wouldn't matter.

I'm also looking into these JFK-JNB VS-marketed flights, but in V class which should still earn 25% MQD / 125% MQM / 125% RDM. The miles I would earn with DM bonus nearly offsets all the miles that the trip would cost - and I would earn most of the MQDs that I still need to keep DM. I have one of these on hold now and it's showing up in My Trips on the Delta web site as "Economy Delight (V)". SFO-JNB or LAX-JNB are even better, and the miles earned more than covers the cost of the trip, other than the cost of the positioning flight.
Thanks for the previous data point, that's very good to know. Personally I don't think I could make that trip in coach but good luck!

Originally Posted by dominick
I've seen some $1500/2 ppl examples in E+ YYZ-various places in Europe. $2200/2 ppl to S Africa. These are with the cheapest hotels, which you can throw-away. For 37.5k, and 55.5k "redemptions" for a paid ticket respectively- it's not a bad way to go!
Honestly, if you're not too fussed about a super fancy hotel or earning hotel elite qualifying nights, you could also just make use of the included hotel. Yeah, you may lose out on free breakfast elite benefits but paying for a hotel when you already have one will cost more than paying for breakfast.

My latest findings: JFK-MEL, with some creative routings, for around $5400. That's moving out of mileage run territory, but if you were looking at an Australia trip anyway, 270K SkyMiles roundtrip is probably not much more than "saver" award pricing would be these days (if it even still exists, which is unclear). I don't see any options that are 100% VA-marketed, but it appears you can get VA flight numbers on the long leg over the water anyway. That is clearly an unpublished fare -- for the JNB and BKK routings you can find similar $4K-ish fares on ITA Matrix, but for the same Australia flights public fares are $10K+.
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 7:04 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Yeah seeing this on the website. I'm not sure if Delta Vacations would even have an answer to the question though?

For example:

I'm assuming these VS flights (which correspond to other VS flights on the outbound) earn at the normal 200% RDM/150% MQM/40% MQD rates for a VS-marketed Z fare, but I don't know if there's a way to be certain of that up front.
When I called to book my package, the agent explicitly (unsolicited) told me it was a published (i.e., not exception) fare. I imagine that any agent can see that info
Old Aug 28, 2019, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by mattya9
Anyone else have this happen? I tried a dummy booking as well and the discount was showing -$500 but it wasn't coming off the total. I didn't want to confirm the purchase for the exact reason above.

OPS
Same issue, wasn't working for me at check out either when I tried to redeem miles, the entire purchase price showed up.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 7:55 pm

I found the same thing when making my booking, however I figured out that you have to select the miles option on the checkout page and once again enter the miles you wish to use. I think the previous miles input is just a guide for you to determine what type of credit you will receive, however you have to confirm this on the checkout page.
cnn likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by ekozie
We used to have a timeshare at Vistana. Overall nice property, but depends on which subdevelopment as some are far newer than others. Did/can they tell you?
Ended up choosing the Hilton Buena Vista Palace and saved 10k miles in the process. Albeit, the Hilton has a resort fee, but it also has the disney perks that my wife and son want.
75k miles for 3 flights, 6 nights at a Disney-affiliated hotel and a rental car sounds like a good deal to me!
BenA and bloc0102 like this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by xychromosome
I found the same thing when making my booking, however I figured out that you have to select the miles option on the checkout page and once again enter the miles you wish to use. I think the previous miles input is just a guide for you to determine what type of credit you will receive, however you have to confirm this on the checkout page.
Thank you! That worked
Old Aug 28, 2019, 8:55 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

My latest findings: JFK-MEL, with some creative routings, for around $5400. That's moving out of mileage run territory, but if you were looking at an Australia trip anyway, 270K SkyMiles roundtrip is probably not much more than "saver" award pricing would be these days (if it even still exists, which is unclear). I don't see any options that are 100% VA-marketed, but it appears you can get VA flight numbers on the long leg over the water anyway. That is clearly an unpublished fare -- for the JNB and BKK routings you can find similar $4K-ish fares on ITA Matrix, but for the same Australia flights public fares are $10K+.
Just booked JFK-MEL for around New Years (as a vacation more so than a mileage run) for 2 people for a total of 450K miles, $1300, and a $500 off coupon that was available through my company's corporate travel program with Delta. Managed to find dates with the direct JFK-LAX-MEL flights in both directions, with all flights VA-marketed and the overwater flights operated by VA.

Booked the cheapest hotel which I plan to throw away; there were some hotels for not much more that sounded not bad, like the Intercontinental, but after looking more closely at their website I decided they did not look so great after all and weren't worth the incremental amount they were asking vs. just booking the cheapest hotel as a throwaway.

The best part: JFK-MEL as a SkyMiles award ticket the same dates costs 930K miles roundtrip in business class. Per. Person.
bloc0102 likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL
I just booked SFO/SIN via ICN for $4500 (so 225k miles) in two weeks. Pretty happy given the mileage earning I’ll get from it!
Old Aug 29, 2019, 6:09 am
cnn

Originally Posted by Calboy9903
I booked and tried to cancel online. The system tried to charge a fee so I called and the fee was waived. The voucher will come after manual processing and should be usable on any delta vacation. The rep told me that travel must be booked through delta vacation within a year and multiple vouchers can be applied. When I get the voucher, I can paste the terms here.
Please update the terms when you receive the voucher. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.