Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Vacations 2cpm

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2019, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Has anyone been successful booking a one-way domestic flight within the US + 2 nights in a hotel with this deal?

I found references to open-jaws being bookable via the call center, but no reports regarding one-ways...
Old Sep 5, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Has anyone been successful booking a one-way domestic flight within the US + 2 nights in a hotel with this deal?

I found references to open-jaws being bookable via the call center, but no reports regarding one-ways...
I don't see anything in the terms against this, it just says 'flight and hotel required.'
Old Sep 6, 2019, 1:15 am
ls

Programs: MR PLT, HLT DIA
anyone can confirm the charge posted is by Delta airlines or Delta vacations? Thanks.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL
FWIW: got hit by the ICN typhoon and managed to get re-routed SFO->CDG->SIN. Delta Vacations employees seem to know how to pull strings.
flyerCO, gooselee and bloc0102 like this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 7:18 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by ls
anyone can confirm the charge posted is by Delta airlines or Delta vacations? Thanks.
Mine posted as Delta Vacations
Old Sep 6, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: DL DM 2.4MM
Originally Posted by Pocatello
Any ideas on some great mileage runs in business class?

Am I correct that if I purchase a Delta Vacations J flight on KLM or AF or VS I get the full partner earnings, such as 40% of the distance flown as MQDs?
There isn't a conclusive answer as DL Vacations often books as a bulk/exception fare. Delta has a published earning policy for DL exception fares but this applies to Delta marketed flights. There isn't any clear language on how partner marketed exception fares should post.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: Skymiles; SPG; AAdvantage
Before I call in, does anyone know if hotel stay can be completely unrelated to the flight? I'm looking to book a DTW-SFO roundtrip I already have lodging for and also want to book a 2night stay in Seattle.

Cheers
Old Sep 6, 2019, 11:35 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by langbr01
There isn't a conclusive answer as DL Vacations often books as a bulk/exception fare. Delta has a published earning policy for DL exception fares but this applies to Delta marketed flights. There isn't any clear language on how partner marketed exception fares should post.
FWIW, I booked a Virgin Australia (VA)-coded flight and VA customer service has confirmed to me that it is eligible for normal mileage credit, but I haven't flown it yet so I can't confirm for sure.

It's worth noting that the only reason Delta has an exception fares table to begin with is because of spend-based mileage earning on Delta-marketed flights, and exception fares typically don't disclose the price paid (sometimes the airline doesn't even know, because the travel agency buys a block of tickets and then prices within that block as they wish), so Delta had to set up a separate earnings structure similar to the old distance-based system. Since partners are still on a distance-based system, there's no particular reason for Delta to know or care that a partner ticket was an exception fare, and I don't think there's any real possibility of some different earnings table existing.

The only risk I can see, which I don't think would apply but is a possibility, is that some of these fares are viewed as non-mileage-earning by the partner airline so they won't report you to SkyMiles as having flown and due to earn miles at all (similar to what was in theory the policy for companion fares under the old Amex International Airline Program, for example, although I don't know if those companion tickets booked into a regular fare class like these Delta Vacations tickets do, or not.).

But, anyone looking to book one of those fares as a status run is definitely taking some risk.
langbr01 likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 11:37 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by redstormrising
Before I call in, does anyone know if hotel stay can be completely unrelated to the flight? I'm looking to book a DTW-SFO roundtrip I already have lodging for and also want to book a 2night stay in Seattle.

Cheers
Highly doubtful. I assume you want the 2 nights in Seattle to be on some completely unrelated dates which I don't know that they would do.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card

Cheers
If you do call and try, let us know the result. Ultimately DLV is getting their commissions so...
Old Sep 6, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Need some clarification please (if anyone can assist). Read a few times throughout the thread about booking a trip and then "throwing away" the hotel. Is there any penalty if you do this? I'm assuming no since the hotel will be getting their money regardless if you stay there or not.

OPS
SteveTownsend likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec

Cheers
I think yes, but it still has to be a hotel you could otherwise book as if you were going on a vacation to that city. I asked about a lot of smaller UK towns, but they said no hotels available. There were some available in other bigger towns that I did not have a flight to, though.

However, I would think the hotel will have to be within the dates of your flights, which I think will be your problem.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:37 pm
ls

Originally Posted by demkr

Mine posted as Delta Vacations

thanks! that means no Amex plt airlines credit .
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:17 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold (LT), Nat EL Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ls
Did you get any elite benefits?
Sorry I just saw this... I did receive hotel based benefits (late checkout / ‘upgraded room”), but thus far not any stay credit or points for the stay (not complaining about this because they aren’t due under the rules). I am still waiting for my bill-to-room points to post / show up... (roughly $30 charged to my room more as a test than anything).
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:22 pm
ls

Oh no! We're sorry, but we've encountered an unexpected error. Please try again or call Delta Vacations at 1-800-835-3123. Code: 07004

got this now ..:-(

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.