FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta 975 on 8/21/2019 had a crazy delay!!! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1984113-delta-975-8-21-2019-had-crazy-delay.html)

buckeyefanflyer Aug 22, 2019 5:04 pm

Delta 975 on 8/21/2019 had a crazy delay!!!

So yesterday Delta 975 JFK-LAX was 18 hours late aircraft late departing. Weather was not bad although a waver was in effect. The inbound flight came in early. Passengers not offered a hotel. Management blames weather and air traffic in the region. But this long of a delay is inexcusable.

KDCAflyer Aug 22, 2019 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer (Post 31445649)
So yesterday Delta 975 JFK-LAX was 18 hours late aircraft late departing. Weather was not bad although a waver was in effect. The inbound flight came in early. Passengers not offered a hotel. Management blames weather and air traffic in the region. But this long of a delay is inexcusable.

Yeah, this is a definite example of DL's policy of not cancelling to pad stats gone too far.

HWGeeks Aug 22, 2019 5:12 pm

Looks like they took off and returned to JFK then went back to LAX or am I reading the info on flight stast wrong
https://www.flightstats.com/v2/fligh...onth=8&date=21

Bellerina Aug 22, 2019 5:25 pm

What are the passengers rights for compensation? If it's really "weather" related, I don't believe they are due anything. However, this appears an abuse of the weather excuse (unless all other planes departing/arrving between NYC/LAX had the same issues).

And what about the flights waiting for that plane's arrival? Did they get cancelled? Or delayed? 18 hours as well?

Article for anyone wanting more details.

Jeff767 Aug 22, 2019 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by WWads (Post 31445659)

Yeah, this is a definite example of DL's policy of not cancelling to pad stats gone too far.

What you post makes no sense since when there is a long delay Delta rebooks every passenger possible off the original flight to options arriving the quickest. If passengers remain not operating the flight would only increase their delay.

MCO Flyer Aug 22, 2019 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer (Post 31445649)

According to this tweet, the original cause of the delay was a mx issue with the baggage hold. Sounds like weather hit later on, so DL said the delay was “weather” related.

jcs27 Aug 22, 2019 7:33 pm

I was on another flight at the same time which experienced a similar issue. Weather moved in quickly in the afternoon and blocked all departures to the West. There wasn't enough fuel to fly around the weather and make it to the destination. Weather moved in and out over the next several hours and long takeoff delays accumulated. Eventually, we neared the 3-hour tarmac delay limit and the pilot was forced to return to gate. The pilot then timed out while at the gate, and the FAs timed out while looking for a new pilot.

Because the same thing happened to multiple DL flights at JFK, no surprise that it took a long time to find new crews to staff all of the flights.

Duke787 Aug 22, 2019 7:57 pm

It's been a bad week in NYC.

I flew up from RDU on Monday and ended up having 2 flights cancelled before the 3rd finally left (delayed from it's scheduled time) and got in 6 hours late (the second one we sat on the runway for 90 minutes and then the crew timed out before a slot opened).

Today my LGA - RDU was delayed 2 hours and I counted my blessings despite that because the later flights were mostly canceled or delayed significantly

ATLflyer2017 Aug 22, 2019 8:06 pm

Delta will often delay flights that long, but every passenger is allowed to change to an earlier flight. To or from an alternate airport. In my opinion if you wait 18 hours and don't demand a refund or alternate travel you aren't entitled to anything.

DLASflyer Aug 22, 2019 8:21 pm

On the front page of NBCNews.com now.

MSPeconomist Aug 22, 2019 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by DLASflyer (Post 31446098)
On the front page of NBCNews.com now.

Ths link doesn't work, so I'm going to try the quote trick.

ADDED: The links still doesn't work.

apodo77 Aug 22, 2019 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by jackvogt (Post 31446064)
Delta will often delay flights that long, but every passenger is allowed to change to an earlier flight. To or from an alternate airport. In my opinion if you wait 18 hours and don't demand a refund or alternate travel you aren't entitled to anything.

Depends what is available. I once had to be dleayed about 14 hours when there was a snow meltdown in ATL. Originally scheduled SFO-ATL-PBI. WHen the delays started I was able to change to SFO-LAX-ATL-PBI as it looked like it was going to possibly get out and was a widebody (767-400) going on to Europe from ATL.
Then all hell broke loose and there was no alternate flights to get me home on DL. The quickest was indeed my originally scheduled LAX-ATL flight.
Options weren't looking real good on any other carrier either or alternate airport as it was already afternoon time. I like to consider myself a savvy, experienced traveler and it happened to me.

readywhenyouare Aug 22, 2019 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by Jeff767 (Post 31445783)

What you post makes no sense since when there is a long delay Delta rebooks every passenger possible off the original flight to options arriving the quickest. If passengers remain not operating the flight would only increase their delay.

When a passenger looks at a completion factor for a particular flight and sees 100% they are being severely mislead by Delta. When they see 100% they expect it falls under the category of being no more than 15 minutes late. The FAA needs to start considering any flight delayed more than four hours as incomplete. Only then will the consumer start seeing a more accurate representation of the stats.

steved5480 Aug 22, 2019 10:29 pm

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...557861311.html

SJC ORD LDR Aug 22, 2019 10:36 pm

Delta's operations at JFK are abysmal.