Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Choose your friends well (A Skymiles Redemption Lesson)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Choose your friends well (A Skymiles Redemption Lesson)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
I'm never an advocate for travel in basic economy but perhaps this is one and only good time basic economy would have worked.

Thankfully for 99.9999% of other reasons, Basic economy for international award travel is still not available to many market.

Jiburi
Old Aug 23, 2019, 4:12 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm not sure I'd give a gift to someone whom I suspect won't appreciate it. In some cases, a good bottle of wine wouldn't be recognized, a piece of art wouldn't be valued, and with award tickets, the person has no idea about the flying or spending that was required to earn those miles.
I completely agree on the wine and art examples. It would be pointless for somebody tp give me an expensive bottle of wine when I would just as well drink 2 buck chuck.

On the other hand, flights are close to commodities, and most have a decent grasp of cost.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 5:31 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
So

Originally Posted by Yellowjj
It honestly just sounds like a mistake on your friend's part. Perhaps when she realized she needed to make a change, the time difference meant it was late night in the US and she didn't want to bother disturbing you, so contacted Delta directly. If she's never done anything malicious to you before and she was close enough to you that you sprung for a ticket, I would take her explanation at face value and chalk it up to her inexperience.

Ideally you can also let her know there was a additional cost to you, that she needs to reimburse you for; perhaps on a payment plan if necessary. Most reasonable friends would agree quickly.

Most friends would OFFER to reimburse without being asked!
Bear4Asian and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 6:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
If you hadn't posted publicly about deciding not to do anything, you could have waited a few days (after travel completed), and then called Delta saying "I, the account holder, did not authorize this".

I recently had to call another program on behalf of a friend (A) who had booked a ticket for another friend (B). They were on separate bookings, but both in the air, and I needed to make a change (we were in contact over wifi). They absolutely wanted the name on the ticket and the name of the account holder, but I think if the change had been more complicated than it was, they probably would have said no. The change was basically "there's no J space on the connection, please move him up", which was strictly an improvement to the itinerary, and had no additional charge. So hard to argue I was doing something that wouldn't be appreciated.

On another matter that's being discussed, my mom once asked me, "Can you book me a free ticket with your points to visit Calgary, and then another one later to San Francisco?" I had to explain to her that it was not "free", and that if she combined them into one trip, it would be half the cost. She really had no idea points weren't free. So I understand that mentality. Though if everything was free, why wouldn't everyone have millions of points?
gretchendz likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by gretchendz
Most friends would OFFER to reimburse without being asked!
Perhaps she did offer after being made aware; only OP knows. Besides he did downgraded her from a friend to a acquaintance..
gretchendz likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 7:22 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Haven't been following this thread. However after reading all of it... what I learned:
Don't gift flights without trusting the recipient.
gretchendz likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 8:23 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by defrosted
Haven't been following this thread. However after reading all of it... what I learned:
Don't gift flights without trusting the recipient.
There are other reasons too. For instance, you don't want to gift an award ticket to someone who has used a mileage broker or bought/sold/bartered award tickets (or attempted to do so) because if the friend is caught, you'll be caught in the resulting mess too and your FF account will be in jeopardy. I also wouldn't want to gift a ticket (or even be on the same PNR) with someone who might behave badly on a flight, such as being rowdy/drunk.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by canadiancow
If you hadn't posted publicly about deciding not to do anything, you could have waited a few days (after travel completed), and then called Delta saying "I, the account holder, did not authorize this".
In other words violate the terms and conditions, plus commit fraud?

Example - If you know money was taken out of your account and don't report it, (cause you know they need it for an emergency) you don't get the money back. While the original transaction was unauthorized, by not calling and reporting when you find out (and allowing them to take money back) you've authorized the transaction, just after the fact.
gooselee likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by CarlTheWebmaster
This is was not the first incidence of actual or possible dishonesty.

Fool me twice, shame on me.
If this not the first incidence of dishonesty and you still bought them a ticket to Africa anyway, can we become friends?
Old Aug 24, 2019, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by justforfun
Or the friend didn't want to inconvenience you with their changes so took the initiative to call Delta on their own and Delta didn't tell them there would be additional miles charged.
Delta has never failed to tell me. I don’t buy this excuse. Plus the “friend” should have known representing themselves as the account owner was wrong. This would now be an “ex-friend”
Old Aug 24, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
Wondering how the credit cards were handled, both the original booking and the change fee. Did the OP use her card while he made the booking? That was OK with Delta? If he used his card, and she changed to her card later to pay the new fees, it had her name? In that case, that means the DL agent took the OPs name verifying she was him, but then validated a new card in her name and at a different address.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Justin026
Wondering how the credit cards were handled, both the original booking and the change fee. Did the OP use her card while he made the booking? That was OK with Delta? If he used his card, and she changed to her card later to pay the new fees, it had her name? In that case, that means the DL agent took the OPs name verifying she was him, but then validated a new card in her name and at a different address.
Likely no difference in $ only miles and no change fee.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Likely no difference in $ only miles and no change fee.
OP said there was a change fee that the friend paid.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by gooselee
OP said there was a change fee that the friend paid.
Thanks, missed that. As for credit card, if his SM# was attached to ticket they can use one on file. All they ask is for the CVC/CV2 code in that case.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 7:22 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Thanks, missed that. As for credit card, if his SM# was attached to ticket they can use one on file. All they ask is for the CVC/CV2 code in that case.
Hopefully this isn't information that an acquaintance would have.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.