flight in a circle?

Old Aug 21, 2019, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles
flight in a circle?

I am currently following DL431 on the Delta sight-DTW-DCA. It looks like the plane made a circle back but it is now proceeding toward DC. Is this a fluke or does that happen? The arrival time has changed so something must have happened!!
Old Aug 21, 2019, 4:42 pm

Happens, based on; traffic, weather, etc
Old Aug 21, 2019, 4:44 pm

Programs: DL DM
Looks like a thunderstorm was rolling over the airport and causing a backup in the queue of planes lining up to land. This wasn't too bad, only 1 circle. Happens a lot to me on approach to LGA, sometimes 3-4 circles over central New Jersey.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 5:43 pm

Programs: Blinged Out

Had this gem the other day- two circles around CLE then a few more around JFK- 2 hr flight turned into 4 and almost a diversion.
MSPeconomist, becks1 and dcadwell like this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
yep; these en route holds are not at all uncommon when there's weather at or near the destination
MSPeconomist and DiamondMile like this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 6:00 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Happens everyday on flights around the World. Happens on almost every LHR arrival as they're held at the arrival fixes (gates).

Pilots actually receive training on how to "hold" at a fix. When many planes are in holding at the same fix (different altitudes of course) they start referring to the stacks as "pancakes".

ATC will issue holding flights an EFC (Expect Further Clearance) time, but they are often subject to change due to changing WX/airport conditions.
DiamondMile and koreanair720 like this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 6:20 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Had one of these in May on a UA flight. Luckily they released us after the second loop.

Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:15 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
My most common route is RDU-NYC. It's more weird for me to not have a racetrack hold on the way in ;-)
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:22 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by ekozie
My most common route is RDU-NYC. It's more weird for me to not have a racetrack hold on the way in ;-)
I know this is extreme, but it really sucks when your flight from RDU-JFK diverts to RIC first and still has to hold

(Once again, this was due to weather)
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by HDQDD
Happens everyday on flights around the World. Happens on almost every LHR arrival as they're held at the arrival fixes (gates).

Pilots actually receive training on how to "hold" at a fix. When many planes are in holding at the same fix (different altitudes of course) they start referring to the stacks as "pancakes".

ATC will issue holding flights an EFC (Expect Further Clearance) time, but they are often subject to change due to changing WX/airport conditions.
A long time ago, one talked ot wedding cake patterns when flights were stacked up waiting to land. This was common at JFK, for example, several decades ago.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 9:19 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by FlyerWx
I know this is extreme, but it really sucks when your flight from RDU-JFK diverts to RIC first and still has to hold

HA! You've got me WAYYYY beat. I think my record was about 2.5 hours wheels up to wheels down.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 9:40 pm

Programs: NZ Silver, NZ Koru, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by FlyerWx

This flight should be diverted to LPL!
Old Aug 22, 2019, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Happened, not once, but twice on my Aug19th DL3331 flight ORD-JFK. This was after already holding at ORD on ground for over 2 hours.
SeaHawg likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Would you rather fly in circles or out of a circle:

b00mer89 likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 5:37 am

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
I'm actually amazed, given the sheer volume of flights, how rarely one has to circle when approaching US airports. It's almost always weather in the rare event that it does happen. Pretty spectacular ATC management.

I mean, I've never landed at LHR or PEK w/o a seemingly endless succession of circles -- not fun after a twelve hour flight to China when all you want to do is get the F off the plane!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.