ATL expanding the Plane Train

Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
ATL expanding the Plane Train

Some interesting news for us ATL hub captives:
Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport plans to spend $58 million to buy more Plane Train cars to add to the people-mover system’s capacity. Buying the cars is part of a much more complex project to expand Plane Train capacity, which will require extending the track to allow room for trains that arrive at the domestic terminal to turn back in the other direction more quickly.
and
The system currently allows as many as 11 four-car trains to run simultaneously between the domestic terminal, concourses and international terminal and back at the world’s busiest airport during peak hours, according to airport documents.....The extended track will allow for as many as 15 trains to run simultaneously
Link to the full article: AJC.com -Hartsfield-Jackson to spend $58 million on more Plane Train cars (August 21, 2019)
Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Saw that earlier today. Interesting.

That said, I almost always prefer to walk instead of taking the train.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Wow! Very interesting!! I loves plane trains! I rode on plane trains in ATL all the times. I have been in ATL for a many times.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dcadwell

Especially through the rainforest!
Old Aug 21, 2019, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by TomMM
Especially through the rainforest!
Yes! I saw a pics on Facebook page. You can go to Atlanta-Jackson Hartsfield Airport page and look for it.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 6:26 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
I'm surprised they need more capacity. The trains come pretty quickly even if they can be crowded.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dcadwell

+1. I only take the train if timing is truly an issue -- mainly due to desire to stretch my legs between flights (have to find ways to juice the fitbit count when spending the day traveling)
Old Aug 21, 2019, 7:49 pm

I think ATL made a mistake four decades ago to have the disembarking and boarding on the same side of the train. I know it would cost a fortune, but digging out corridors on the outside of the tracks under each concourse would allow separate disembarking and boarding ("Spanish solution") with staggered door opening times, and would significantly reduce the disembarking and boarding time, allowing more frequent trains.

Other airports with automated people movers use the Spanish solution.

I still remember when ATL increased the speed of the trains to increase the number of trains. I believe this was done when they added the E Concourse.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 5:56 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by Duke787
+1. I only take the train if timing is truly an issue -- mainly due to desire to stretch my legs between flights (have to find ways to juice the fitbit count when spending the day traveling)
Bingo. Especially when I know I'm going to be on a long haul, I relish the opportunity to get some movement in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.