Pitfalls when buying upgrades on AFKL

Old Aug 21, 19, 2:32 am
Original Poster

Pitfalls when buying upgrades on AFKL

Sorry if this is somewhat basic. New to Skymiles (currently doing the PM challenge) and based in Europe, flying AF/KL eco for the most part, with the occasional DL and UX thrown in.

Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of when purchasing upgrades (e.g., during OLCI)?

I'm asking because in the past, it happened to me occasionally that upgrades did not yield extra status miles (that's almost like the norm on OW) or didn't even yield the status miles of the original booking class (e.g., when upgrading SAA and crediting to M&M).
Old Aug 21, 19, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by speed.skater View Post
Sorry if this is somewhat basic. New to Skymiles (currently doing the PM challenge) and based in Europe, flying AF/KL eco for the most part, with the occasional DL and UX thrown in.

Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of when purchasing upgrades (e.g., during OLCI)?

I'm asking because in the past, it happened to me occasionally that upgrades did not yield extra status miles (that's almost like the norm on OW) or didn't even yield the status miles of the original booking class (e.g., when upgrading SAA and crediting to M&M).
If purchased during OLCI you shouldn't (but may) earn class bonus. No issue with normal earnings. Upgrades on VS can be problematic due to upgrades ticketing to an award class. AF/KL doesnt have that issue.
speed.skater likes this.
Old Aug 21, 19, 7:47 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, National EE, Hyatt Explorist
I have never had any issues doing the last minute upgrades on Air France. However, I have always went from Premium Economy to Business, so got 150% MQM regardless.
speed.skater likes this.
Old Aug 21, 19, 8:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Premium Eeconomy on DL earns 150% MQMs.
speed.skater likes this.
Old Aug 22, 19, 11:11 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
In every situation I've done any sort of upgrade on AF (usually OLCI), I've always gotten at least the mileage for the original booking class. (Most recently on CDG-ICN, I upgraded to PE and even got a 50% bonus, which I'd never gotten before.) If for whatever reason that doesn't happen, just keep the boarding pass and original booking confirmation and submit for retroactive credit.
speed.skater likes this.
Old Aug 23, 19, 6:17 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride View Post
In every situation I've done any sort of upgrade on AF (usually OLCI), I've always gotten at least the mileage for the original booking class. (Most recently on CDG-ICN, I upgraded to PE and even got a 50% bonus, which I'd never gotten before.) If for whatever reason that doesn't happen, just keep the boarding pass and original booking confirmation and submit for retroactive credit.
?? I don't think anyone is concerned with getting credit for the original booking class - you wouldn't even need boarding passes for that as they can see the e-ticket in their computer...

I think OP is asking about bonuses for upgrading, which are almost never awarded when the upgrade is processed within the check in window, which is a little longer for AFKL than for DL (30 hours versus 24 hours, I believe).
Old Aug 23, 19, 7:26 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by btonkid12345 View Post
?? I don't think anyone is concerned with getting credit for the original booking class - you wouldn't even need boarding passes for that as they can see the e-ticket in their computer...
uh apparently the OP was concerned, since they specifically asked about this

(bolding mine)
Old Aug 23, 19, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by roberta_h View Post
uh apparently the OP was concerned, since they specifically asked about this
Please read more carefully. The OP was not concerned about getting original ticket credit; she/he was concerned about whether they would get credit for the upgraded class of service.

Of course the airline will give you credit for the original class of service - even if you process a Virgin upgrade on Delta and it mis-posts, you will get what you paid for by bringing a human into it. It's the unicorn cases where you do upgrades and get credit for the upgraded class of service that the OP was interested in, clearly because the additional status credit makes the upgrade holistically more appealing.
Old Aug 23, 19, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Please read more carefully. The OP was not concerned about getting original ticket credit; she/he was concerned about whether they would get credit for the upgraded class of service.

Of course the airline will give you credit for the original class of service - even if you process a Virgin upgrade on Delta and it mis-posts, you will get what you paid for by bringing a human into it. It's the unicorn cases where you do upgrades and get credit for the upgraded class of service that the OP was interested in, clearly because the additional status credit makes the upgrade holistically more appealing.
No he's asking abiut both 1)getting the bonus, and 2)getting credit for the original fare once upgraded ala what happens when upgrading a VS flight. It upgrades to G, and thus posts as ineligible.
Old Aug 23, 19, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
2)getting credit for the original fare once upgraded ala what happens when upgrading a VS flight. It upgrades to G, and thus posts as ineligible.
OP mentioned 4 airline codes: AF, KL, DL, UX.
Old Aug 23, 19, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

OP mentioned 4 airline codes: AF, KL, DL, UX.
Really? I didn't realize that. I used it as an example since you weren't grasping the issue about problem getting original credit when upgraded.
Old Aug 23, 19, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for the input.

Just was trying to guard myself against any nasty surprises. It indeed happened to me when accepting an upgrade offer by SAA that I received 0 status-qualifying miles after upgrading. The original booking class would have yielded status-qualifying miles, the upgraded booking class did not. I am not the only person this happened to, this was discussed on the relevant forum (M&M). Obv, it has nothing to do with DL. Was just trying to illustrate issues I don't wanna run into. And yeah, I am thinking primarily about purchasing upgrades on AF-KL.
Old Aug 23, 19, 2:47 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, Marriott Gold
Thanks all for the input.

Just was trying to guard myself against any nasty surprises. It indeed happened to me when accepting an upgrade offer by SAA that I received 0 status-qualifying miles after upgrading. The original booking class would have yielded status-qualifying miles, the upgraded booking class did not. I am not the only person this happened to, this was discussed on the relevant forum (M&M). Obv, it has nothing to do with DL. Was just trying to illustrate issues I don't wanna run into. And yeah, I am thinking primarily about purchasing upgrades on AF-KL.
I just had a nasty surprise after upgrading an Air France operated (Delta Ticketed) flight on my return from Tahiti. I took advantage of a great offer to upgrade to business class on the PPT to LAX leg of my return to SFO. The miles and MQMs for that leg were slow to show up and finally I saw a "Reason Code" which indicated that the miles were credited to Flying Blue instead of SkyMiles. Apparently, when I bought the upgrade, I was logged into my Flying Blue account and that FF# was added to my reservation. It took precedence over my SkyMiles#.

I called Delta who told me to contact Air France, have the miles "uncredited", then send them a request via their website to have the RDMs and MQMs credited to my SkyMiles account. An Air France agent indicated that this should work, as the original ticket was clearly to be credited to SkyMiles. However, again, I was told to submit the request through their website. The response was - sorry, but not possible to un-credit miles. I haven't had time to challenge this yet. Argh!

Not really connected, but all this is on top of a three hour delay of my Air France flight, causing me to be rebooked on an Alaska flight from LAX to SFO which was also delayed by an hour taking off, then sat on the tarmac in SFO from 1:30 am until almost 5:00 am waiting to get to a gate! Argh! again.
speed.skater likes this.

Last edited by KevinSFO; Aug 23, 19 at 3:00 pm
Old Aug 23, 19, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Gold
Originally Posted by KevinSFO View Post
I called Delta who told me to contact Air France, have the miles "uncredited", then send them a request via their website to have the RDMs and MQMs credited to my SkyMiles account. An Air France agent indicated that this should work, as the original ticket was clearly to be credited to SkyMiles. However, again, I was told to submit the request through their website. The response was - sorry, but not possible to un-credit miles. I haven't had time to challenge this yet. Argh!
I had a similar mis-crediting adventure earlier this year, was also told by DL to contact Flying Blue and have them uncredited, only to have FB tell me "we stopped doing that recently and they shouldn't have told you it's possible because it isn't." Complaining back to DL resulted in them simply having the SkyMiles dept credit me for the trip without FB reversing it on their side but I'm still not sure what Jedi mind trick resulted in this outcome. All I can say is, I'm scanning my partner-airline BPs with a barcode reader to check the FQTV field from now on.
btonkid12345 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: