Tight CDG Connection

Old Aug 19, 2019, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold | Hilton Diamond
Arrow Tight CDG Connection

Hello! I will be travelling from LIS-CDG-BOS with a 1 hour connection at CDG in on a Monday morning (around 9am). From what I can gather, the CDG-BOS flight will leave from 2E(K) while of course the flight from Lisbon will land at 2F. Has anyone done this connection recently and if so, how long did it take you to go from Schengen to non-Schengen? I am seated at the front of the plane from Lisbon and am Sky Priority, so it sounds like there is a faster line if you have earned that status? I also want to confirm that it will only be passport control I need to clear at CDG, and I will not have to go through any sort of TSA-style security screening again (assuming I don't get "randomly" selected when boarding for a secondary screening)?

Thanks in advance for helping to put my anxiety at ease! There is a backup flight from CDG-BOS that leaves early afternoon, but I would also prefer to make the morning flight and be home earlier
Old Aug 19, 2019, 1:08 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
1) The connection is doable as you only need to clear exit immigration, unless a) Your inbound flight is delayed or 2) Your flight is targeted for intra-schengen passport check, in this case you will clear immigration twice and might not have enough time to make it to your BOS flight.

2) CDG-BOS might have left from Hall K a few times but this doesn't mean it will consistently depart from there. It could depart from either K, L, or M.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 1:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Follow the signs for transit/T2E and look for Acces No 1 = SkyPriority signposts. Some of them have poles that form a square over the entrance with a banner that IIRC is orange and purple on white. There will probably be an airport staff member, IIRC wearing an apricot colored jacket, verifying credentials (SkyPriority on your boarding pass for the CDG-BOS flight, try to do OLCI to make sure that you have a boarding pass in case LIS can't give you one) for access to the special line. Also be sure to check the gate before heading off to L or M.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA - G (mm), DL - DM, MM, AA - Plat
As others have noted, 1hr is usually fine. You do have to clear immigration but the Sky Priority line (actually it says "Access 1") is usually short and if the airport staff sees it backing up they will take action. Note that unlike other parts of Europe, France does not (yet) accept US passports in the electronic gates.

Be sure to note your actual gate for BOS and follow the signs. 2E-K is just a walk while 2E-L or 2E-M will require a bus ride.

When you get to the gate be proactive and seek out a security contractor who will give you a sticker for your passport.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by seattleBH
As others have noted, 1hr is usually fine. You do have to clear immigration but the Sky Priority line (actually it says "Access 1") is usually short and if the airport staff sees it backing up they will take action. Note that unlike other parts of Europe, France does not (yet) accept US passports in the electronic gates.

Be sure to note your actual gate for BOS and follow the signs. 2E-K is just a walk while 2E-L or 2E-M will require a bus ride.

When you get to the gate be proactive and seek out a security contractor who will give you a sticker for your passport.
Are you sure there's an airside bus? 2L and 2M use the little underground train from 2K, although then you clear security in in 2M or whatever when I've done it recently, again with SkyPriority = Acces No. 1 for security and lots of lanes open in 2M (most recently) so it's fast. I think there may be a separate part of the little train to 2L and 2M for people who have already done security elsewhere, with different cars on the train opening on different sides of the track.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 4:19 pm

From my experience, you're definitely taking a risk. I tried a similar connection once at GDG and there was a backup at immigration. I was in the Sky Priority line, and even it was backed up. I showed the attendant manning the line my boarding pass with my boarding time, and she simply shrugged her shoulders and told me that nothing could be done. I had to be that guy and ask about 15-20 people to let them cut me in line. All were quite gracious and allowed me to do so, and I was the last one to board.
cmx likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by enoscabell
From my experience, you're definitely taking a risk. I tried a similar connection once at GDG and there was a backup at immigration. I was in the Sky Priority line, and even it was backed up. I showed the attendant manning the line my boarding pass with my boarding time, and she simply shrugged her shoulders and told me th
at nothing could be done. I had to be that guy and ask about 15-20 people to let them cut me in line. All were quite gracious and allowed me to do so, and I was the last one to board.
I did it in 2017 and it was absolutely godawful. I think the connection time was 1:40 and we landed a bit early. I was on Delta One. We were bused to the terminal if I remember. I took the signs to the bus to 2M and was going OK until i got to a massive queue at immigration; at first I couldn't find Sky Priority but then I think some staff member pointed it out. It took forever. And then I went over to the bus and that took forever - took forever to get on and took forever to get off.

When I got through the entrance to the terminal there was a Delta lady there to meet me (because I was Delta One I suppose), and she said come on! come on! She took one of my carryons and she was making the best time she could but I had been walking a lot for 2 weeks and was in better shape than I had been before arriving in Portugal, and I was outpacing her. I started running with her gamely bringing up the rear, and as I was running I yelled Hold the door! Hold the door! Hold the door! Hold the door! Hodor! Hodor! Hodor! Hodor! Hodor!

Somebody say if the train or the bus is better. I think the train HAS to be better. The bus gets you there "directly" while the train requires some walking, but the bus just takes absolutely forever with loading and unloading and traveling along a less direct path. Somebody say if you have to clear security on this connection; I am pretty sure I did.

If taking the train gets you to an easier passport control as was said above, take the train because the passport control I went through to get to the bus was just an absolute disaster.

I personally suggest that the OP schedule the afternoon flight to Boston, allowing for a leisurely transit to the departure terminal, and then relax in the lounge.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 6:59 pm

What you probably don't want to do is to follow any transit path that forces you to go through the EU exit passport control with passengers originating at CDG. IME it is always an enormous anxiety inducing mess, including for SkyPriority.
cmx likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, DL GM, AA Plat, NEXUS
I am coming off a domestic flight with Easyjet (2D) and connecting onto a separate ticket with DL going to DTW (constantly from 2K). I have 2 hours between flights and just carry on luggage. What's the quickest way to proceed in this case?
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by seattleBH
You can walk from 2F to either 2E-K or 2E-L (using different paths). 2E-M requires an airside bus ride.

As others have said, 1 hour is sufficient if immigration isn't backed up. It once took me 45 minutes to clear exit controls (they held my connection because so many people were late), but most of the time it's 10 minutes from gate to gate.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by redadeco
I am coming off a domestic flight with Easyjet (2D) and connecting onto a separate ticket with DL going to DTW (constantly from 2K). I have 2 hours between flights and just carry on luggage. What's the quickest way to proceed in this case?
For this, I would assume that there's no choice but to exit the secure area, walk to 2E, and then check in with DL, do exit passport control (good luck!) and then security depending on whether your flight is using K (walk) or L or M (for both you would take the underground little train) and then security on the way upstairs after emerging from the little train. For flights to the USA originating at CDG (as you are since you have separate tickets), even with no checked bags, you seem to go through the same check in and bag drop area before getting to exit passport control.

Two hours is tight for DL TATL flights exCDG.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 5:11 am

CDG is a crapshoot. Immigration might be 5 minutes, it might be 45 minutes. There could be even be a union work slowdown. I'd go an earlier flight from LIS and enjoy the AF lounge
Old Aug 20, 2019, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
A bus transfer, or bus-gate remote stand situation with either flight, will raise the drama factor dramatically. Airside bus movements at CDG are slow and erratic and miserable.
cmx and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BearX220
A bus transfer, or bus-gate remote stand situation with either flight, will raise the drama factor dramatically. Airside bus movements at CDG are slow and erratic and miserable.
I cannot agree more strongly. The OP can't do anything about bus-gate remote stand, but take a look at this:

https://easycdg.com/passenger-inform...r-terminal-2e/

The link shows a terminal layout and the OP can walk to 2E-K and take the shuttle train to 2E-M.

That's the way to do it, and that's what I wish I had done when I transited through there the last time.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
I cannot agree more strongly. The OP can't do anything about bus-gate remote stand, but take a look at this:

https://easycdg.com/passenger-inform...r-terminal-2e/

The link shows a terminal layout and the OP can walk to 2E-K and take the shuttle train to 2E-M.

That's the way to do it, and that's what I wish I had done when I transited through there the last time.
Yeah, this is the same as if you were starting your travel at CDG. You pass through the DL/AF (in my case SkyPriority) check in area and answer their security questions before going to passport control. It's a long walk too, although there are some longer walks at CDG T2.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.