Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tight CDG Connection

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yeah, this is the same as if you were starting your travel at CDG. You pass through the DL/AF (in my case SkyPriority) check in area and answer their security questions before going to passport control. It's a long walk too, although there are some longer walks at CDG T2.
Which is better, that or the bus? The first time I went through Paris I used the train coming OFF of my US flight and to a Schengen-area flight. I had a lot of time so I don't really remember how long it took or how long the walk was. Flying LIS-CDG-SEA in 2017, I had a scheduled layover time of 1:40 and landed like 10 minutes early and took the bus to 2M and barely made it to my flight.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 12:40 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
For this, I would assume that there's no choice but to exit the secure area, walk to 2E, and then check in with DL, do exit passport control (good luck!) and then security depending on whether your flight is using K (walk) or L or M (for both you would take the underground little train) and then security on the way upstairs after emerging from the little train. For flights to the USA originating at CDG (as you are since you have separate tickets), even with no checked bags, you seem to go through the same check in and bag drop area before getting to exit passport control.

Two hours is tight for DL TATL flights exCDG.
Much easier to do a bus transfer to 2E and get a BP at the transit desk. Security check can be done at the gate in these cases.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 12:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Personally I would avoid the bus because sometimes it can take a long time and you have no control over how long you wait for the bus or how long the ride takes. I like the possibility of just running for a tight connection.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
I was based at CDG for 7 years and now transit through CDG frequently. I see a lot of conflicting information posted here that does not reflect the real connections process.
  • At CDG, when connecting between T1 and T2 halls, you can transit airside from ANY terminal to ANY terminal. A passenger landing at 2D can go to 2E without having to exit. There are a few airside bus routes (and very frequent nowadays) that will make the process very easy. Only exception is 2G where you indeed have to take the bus from the public area in 2F.
  • Connecting from 2F to 2E, you only need to take the train if your flight departs from hall M as you can walk to K and L (different pathways but following the signs you will eventually get there)
Any bad experience with the airside buses older than 1 year is not valid anymore, as there were issues with the airside buses frequency, but this has been fixed since quite some time.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 12:48 pm

Personally I would avoid the bus because sometimes it can take a long time and you have no control over how long you wait for the bus or how long the ride takes. I like the possibility of just running for a tight connection.
When was the last time you waited for the blue bus and it took more than 10 minutes to arrive?
Old Aug 20, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SDQBound
I was based at CDG for 7 years and now transit through CDG frequently. I see a lot of conflicting information posted here that does not reflect the real connections process.
  • At CDG, when connecting between T1 and T2 halls, you can transit airside from ANY terminal to ANY terminal. A passenger landing at 2D can go to 2E without having to exit. There are a few airside bus routes (and very frequent nowadays) that will make the process very easy. Only exception is 2G where you indeed have to take the bus from the public area in 2F.
  • Connecting from 2F to 2E, you only need to take the train if your flight departs from hall M as you can walk to K and L (different pathways but following the signs you will eventually get there)
Any bad experience with the airside buses older than 1 year is not valid anymore, as there were issues with the airside buses frequency, but this has been fixed since quite some time.
I didn't feel that there was anything the matter with the bus; I felt it arrived in a timely manner. It was the loading - lots of people, having to get to the staging area for the bus, load through 1 or 2 doors once the bus arrived, and then get off the bus in the same way. A train loads much much faster than a bus.

Are you saying that the OP can take the train to 2E-M, staying airside the whole time?

Is the OP going to be able to get to 2E-M without going through security?

Does the OP have any choice about where to go through passport control, and if there is a better choice, which is it?
Old Aug 20, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
A year or two ago.

Question: If there's an airside bus from a domestic LCC flight to a DL flight to the USA, when/where does the OP do the security questions and when/where is exit passport control? Is another security check needed? If one is originating at CDG for a DL flight to the USA, the sequence is always security questions, then check in and bag drop if needed, then passport control, and finally security, so I'm having a hard time understanding how someone could to a LCC to DL transfer and somehow do passport control but not airport security. The maps I have for CDG aren't sufficiently detailed to make this clear.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
I didn't feel that there was anything the matter with the bus; I felt it arrived in a timely manner. It was the loading - lots of people, having to get to the staging area for the bus, load through 1 or 2 doors once the bus arrived, and then get off the bus in the same way. A train loads much much faster than a bus.

Are you saying that the OP can take the train to 2E-M, staying airside the whole time?

Does the OP have any choice about where to go through passport control, and if there is a better choice, which is it?
Getting on and off the bus is also a pain if someone has a roller bag. There are a couple big steps.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 3:05 pm

A year or two ago.

Question: If there's an airside bus from a domestic LCC flight to a DL flight to the USA, when/where does the OP do the security questions and when/where is exit passport control? Is another security check needed? If one is originating at CDG for a DL flight to the USA, the sequence is always security questions, then check in and bag drop if needed, then passport control, and finally security, so I'm having a hard time understanding how someone could to a LCC to DL transfer and somehow do passport control but not airport security. The maps I have for CDG aren't sufficiently detailed to make this clear.
Let's say you are flying BCN-CDG-DTW with BCN-CDG on EasyJet and CDG-DTW on DL. Once you deplane at 2D, you follow the connecting flight path, which will take you to passport control and then to the bus gate. You board the bus, and if you need a BP for your connecting flight, you can get one at the transit desk once you arrive in 2E. You then get your security check before boarding.

Security questions can be done either at the check-in security podium or at the gate. When you are in the line preparing for boarding or during the boarding process, a Securitas agent checks your passport and if you don't have the magic sticker or are marked as cleared on their tablet, security questions will happen here. Exit passport control happens at multiple locations, for example, From 2D to 2A/C/E it happens at 2D right before the bus gate. T3 is out of this scope and this is why I mentioned Terminals 1 and 2 on my previous post. No other security check is involved if coming from a schengen flight, if coming from a non-schengen flight, no passport control is involved but passengers need to go through security before taking the bus.

Security check will always be required when connecting from non-schengen to non-schengen, but not from schengen to non-schengen.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 3:13 pm

So then the bus deposits the hypothetical LCC to DL passenger in 2E, presumably on the ground floor of K. If they then need to get to M for example (but L should present the same issues), they would take the train but upon emerging from the train in M, there would be an airport security checkpoint. So the person would go through passport control, then airport security in 2E, then the security questions at the gate, right? Or are people who don't need to do airport security somehow kept separate from those who do in 2E-K/L/M?
Old Aug 20, 2019, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Carl Johnson

If OP is going from 2D to 2E-M, the journey can be done airside by bus. There's no way exiting and clearing passport control and security with CDG origintating passengers will be faster than bus+train.

OP will definitely be able to get to 2E-M without going through security. At CDG, when connecting airside, schengen to international connections do not involve security check, similar to other European airports (ie. AMS, BCN, MAD) but international to international or international - schengen do.

OP does not have a choice to go through passport control. If coming from 2F, passport control will happen at 2F before going to 2E K or 2E L/M. If coming from 2D, passport control will happen at 2D before boarding the bus. OP can, of course, choose to go through passport control at 2E but this will involve leaving the secure area and going through security again.

Last edited by SDQBound; Aug 20, 2019 at 3:19 pm Reason: Fixing mistake signaled on next post.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 3:17 pm

So then the bus deposits the hypothetical LCC to DL passenger in 2E, presumably on the ground floor of K. If they then need to get to M for example (but L should present the same issues), they would take the train but upon emerging from the train in M, there would be an airport security checkpoint. So the person would go through passport control, then airport security in 2E, then the security questions at the gate, right? Or are people who don't need to do airport security somehow kept separate from those who do in 2E-K/L/M?
No, passport control, as indicated on my previous post, will happen before boarding the bus. The bus will drop OP at 2E-M with no security involved. People who do not require a security check are kept separate.

I made a mistake on my previous post. If OP decides to take the train to 2E-M, security check will be required. If OP takes the blue bus and gets off at 2E-M, the drop-off area is after the security checkpoint.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 4:39 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
I think this discussion can be reduced to FOLLOW THE SIGNS. CDG signage has improved quite a bit over the years, and in generally will direct you to the correct path for your transit, clearing immigration if required and skipping security if possible.
SDQBound, Goldorak and Zorak like this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold | Hilton Diamond
UPDATE

Originally Posted by vodkasodacloseit
Hello! I will be travelling from LIS-CDG-BOS with a 1 hour connection at CDG in on a Monday morning (around 9am). From what I can gather, the CDG-BOS flight will leave from 2E(K) while of course the flight from Lisbon will land at 2F. Has anyone done this connection recently and if so, how long did it take you to go from Schengen to non-Schengen? I am seated at the front of the plane from Lisbon and am Sky Priority, so it sounds like there is a faster line if you have earned that status? I also want to confirm that it will only be passport control I need to clear at CDG, and I will not have to go through any sort of TSA-style security screening again (assuming I don't get "randomly" selected when boarding for a secondary screening)?

Thanks in advance for helping to put my anxiety at ease! There is a backup flight from CDG-BOS that leaves early afternoon, but I would also prefer to make the morning flight and be home earlier
Thank you to everyone who commented their advice. I wanted to provide an update: I did this connection yesterday and while it was certainly rushed, I made it.

My flight from LIS-CDG was 10 minutes delayed which cut my connection time down to 50 minutes (anxiety was through the roof!). Being in row 5 of the plane was extremely helpful as I was one of the first people off. The SkyPriority/Acces 1 line for immigration was also very short at around 9am on a Monday morning (no more than 4 people ahead of me) so passport control took 5 minutes. Finally, the flight from CDG-BOS was in 2E(K) which meant I could avoid the CDG bus/train and do the entire connection on foot.

I knew the CDG-BOS flight had already started boarding by the time I was off my LIS connection, so I decided to run most of the way. I probably would have made it while doing a brisk walk, but I was not going to take any chances of getting stuck at CDG unnecessarily--not to mention it was likely going to be my only exercise for the day (jet lag is a good excellent excuse to skip the gym, right?). Overhead bin space would luckily have not been a problem, even if I was the last person to board.

Overall, I'm happy I took the risk and it paid off. For future travelers considering a tight connection from Schengen to Non-Schengen at CDG, I would say if you like to live life on the edge and be that crazy person running through the airport, then go for it! If not, then definitely allow 90 minutes or more at CDG to cut down on the travel anxiety.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 5:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Glad you made it.

I was on ZRH - CDG - LAX earlier this year, where I got off in T2F and my next flight was in T2E. It took me almost 40 - 50 minutes from gate to gate and I'm already rushing. The long long journey includes a long walk, passing the border, and taking the shuttle. I was already in the luck as there were virtually no line in the immigration area, and the shuttle was about to leave when I jumped on it.

I'd definitely suggest a layover of over 2.5 hours for a connection from schengen to non-schengen area in CDG, considering the first flight might be slightly delayed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.