Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Pre✓ departing Canada?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2019, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
TSA Pre✓ departing Canada?

My Delta boarding pass for a YYZ-SLC flight shows a TSA Pre✓ logo. Is this a Delta IT mistake or are there actually reciprocal benefits at Canadian airports?
Old Aug 19, 2019, 8:12 am

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Delete, wrong thread.

Last edited by bloc0102; Aug 19, 2019 at 8:12 am Reason: wrong thread
Old Aug 19, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: SkyMiles, HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
My Delta boarding pass for a YYZ-SLC flight shows a TSA Pre✓ logo. Is this a Delta IT mistake or are there actually reciprocal benefits at Canadian airports?
There are not reciprocal benefits unless you have NEXUS or Global Entry.
The only reason I can think why your BP says PreCheck is that it's accessing a US-based system.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 8:26 am

TSA precheck is irrelevant in Canada. It is likely on your boarding pass if you have a connection in the US and the DL system cannot print precheck on one boarding pass but not the other. If you have NEXUS or Global Entry then you can use the lanes similar to precheck departing Canada.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 8:29 am

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
TSA precheck is irrelevant in Canada. It is likely on your boarding pass if you have a connection in the US and the DL system cannot print precheck on one boarding pass but not the other. If you have NEXUS or Global Entry then you can use the lanes similar to precheck departing Canada.
You must have your NEXUS or GE card in hand to use these lanes.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
I do have Global Entry and have my card. But I am wondering if there is an expedited security screening lane as opposed to immigration/customs. It sounds like there is not. My boarding pass is in the app. How hard could it be for Delta to remove the TSA Pre badge from international segments?
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I do have Global Entry and have my card. But I am wondering if there is an expedited security screening lane as opposed to immigration/customs. It sounds like there is not. My boarding pass is in the app. How hard could it be for Delta to remove the TSA Pre badge from international segments?
Why do you want it gone? I've had "secondary screeners" (such as from certain airports where everyone goes through at least a cursory gate check prior to a flight to USA) make note of the TSA Pre mark.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Why do you want it gone? I've had "secondary screeners" (such as from certain airports where everyone goes through at least a cursory gate check prior to a flight to USA) make note of the TSA Pre mark.
This. I've been let into the Global Entry lane without my card before, for security screening leaving Canada, and I think it was because of the TSA Pre (either that or flying F).

I do have Global Entry but didn't have the card at the time. The security lane is separate for Global Entry/NEXUS and I believe is similar to TSA Pre - you go through a metal detector, but I still had to take my laptop out.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
All US airline BP have it on them if you qualify. Just easier to program system for one setup than multiple.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Yes, you can you the trusted travelers lane for security if you have your GE/NEXUS card present. Having Precheck or not on the BP doesnt matter. Unlike the US, being a member is sufficient to get access to the lane.
lost_perspicacity likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Yup. Not hard, but merely adds a complication which doesn't meed fixing.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 10:14 am

I do have Global Entry and have my card. But I am wondering if there is an expedited security screening lane as opposed to immigration/customs. It sounds like there is not.
No, there are expedited security screening lanes that are separate from expedited US immigration/customs. If you pass through a CATSA Trusted Traveller lane (for which, as noted above, you'll need a physical Global Entry or NEXUS card) you can keep your shoes, belts and light jacket on and liquids in bags, though you have to remove laptops.

Then separately (though it usually immediately follows/precedes security screening depending on the airport layout) you can use the Global Entry machines for expedited entry, for which of course you don't need the card at all.

(There's an occasional complaint about how at some airports in Canada, depending on layout, the lane minders attempt to bar access to the Global Entry machines because they claim you need a physical card, which is of course not true, especially given the fact that Global Entry members who aren't US citizens/permanent residents or Mexican citizens can't even get them in the first place. But this is a bit of a sidenote to your question.)
lost_perspicacity likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by andrewesque
No, there are expedited security screening lanes that are separate from expedited US immigration/customs. If you pass through a CATSA Trusted Traveller lane (for which, as noted above, you'll need a physical Global Entry or NEXUS card) you can keep your shoes, belts and light jacket on and liquids in bags, though you have to remove laptops.

Then separately (though it usually immediately follows/precedes security screening depending on the airport layout) you can use the Global Entry machines for expedited entry, for which of course you don't need the card at all.

(There's an occasional complaint about how at some airports in Canada, depending on layout, the lane minders attempt to bar access to the Global Entry machines because they claim you need a physical card, which is of course not true, especially given the fact that Global Entry members who aren't US citizens/permanent residents or Mexican citizens can't even get them in the first place. But this is a bit of a sidenote to your question.)
At YYZ they ask to see the physical card for expedited security but never to access the GE machines at Customs.
Jeremy3292 likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, BonVoy Gold, BW Diamond, RR Premium
My AA flight from Paris CDG to ORD had the PreCheck designation on it. It was just standard fare. At that point I didn't even have Global Entry because I was doing my interview upon arrival at ORD, so it meant nothing.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by andrewesque
This. You do not need your GE card when traveling by air, only by land according to US CBP. I had this problem in Canada and I finally was allowed to go through the NEXUS lanes in Toronto after a brief (civil) argument with the Canadian version of TSA. I never carry my GE card with me as all the information is in my passport already (i.e. GE). The problem is they don't have passport/boarding pass scanners at the beginning of security for some reason, at least in Toronto. So if you don't have a physical GE card to show, they can't validate your claim to be GE/NEXUS. Super annoying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.