FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   TSA Pre✓ departing Canada? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1983602-tsa-pre-departing-canada.html)

DLASflyer Aug 19, 19 7:57 am

TSA Pre✓ departing Canada?
 
My Delta boarding pass for a YYZ-SLC flight shows a TSA Pre✓ logo. Is this a Delta IT mistake or are there actually reciprocal benefits at Canadian airports?

bloc0102 Aug 19, 19 8:12 am

Delete, wrong thread.

reimero Aug 19, 19 8:18 am


Originally Posted by DLASflyer (Post 31431966)
My Delta boarding pass for a YYZ-SLC flight shows a TSA Pre✓ logo. Is this a Delta IT mistake or are there actually reciprocal benefits at Canadian airports?

There are not reciprocal benefits unless you have NEXUS or Global Entry.
The only reason I can think why your BP says PreCheck is that it's accessing a US-based system.

sydneyracquelle Aug 19, 19 8:26 am

TSA precheck is irrelevant in Canada. It is likely on your boarding pass if you have a connection in the US and the DL system cannot print precheck on one boarding pass but not the other. If you have NEXUS or Global Entry then you can use the lanes similar to precheck departing Canada.

puddinhead Aug 19, 19 8:29 am


Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle (Post 31432066)
TSA precheck is irrelevant in Canada. It is likely on your boarding pass if you have a connection in the US and the DL system cannot print precheck on one boarding pass but not the other. If you have NEXUS or Global Entry then you can use the lanes similar to precheck departing Canada.

You must have your NEXUS or GE card in hand to use these lanes.

DLASflyer Aug 19, 19 9:00 am

I do have Global Entry and have my card. But I am wondering if there is an expedited security screening lane as opposed to immigration/customs. It sounds like there is not. My boarding pass is in the app. How hard could it be for Delta to remove the TSA Pre badge from international segments?

Eastbay1K Aug 19, 19 9:03 am


Originally Posted by DLASflyer (Post 31432162)
I do have Global Entry and have my card. But I am wondering if there is an expedited security screening lane as opposed to immigration/customs. It sounds like there is not. My boarding pass is in the app. How hard could it be for Delta to remove the TSA Pre badge from international segments?

Why do you want it gone? I've had "secondary screeners" (such as from certain airports where everyone goes through at least a cursory gate check prior to a flight to USA) make note of the TSA Pre mark.

btonkid12345 Aug 19, 19 9:06 am


Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 31432172)
Why do you want it gone? I've had "secondary screeners" (such as from certain airports where everyone goes through at least a cursory gate check prior to a flight to USA) make note of the TSA Pre mark.

This. I've been let into the Global Entry lane without my card before, for security screening leaving Canada, and I think it was because of the TSA Pre (either that or flying F).

I do have Global Entry but didn't have the card at the time. The security lane is separate for Global Entry/NEXUS and I believe is similar to TSA Pre - you go through a metal detector, but I still had to take my laptop out.

flyerCO Aug 19, 19 9:17 am


Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle (Post 31432066)
TSA precheck is irrelevant in Canada. It is likely on your boarding pass if you have a connection in the US and the DL system cannot print precheck on one boarding pass but not the other. If you have NEXUS or Global Entry then you can use the lanes similar to precheck departing Canada.

All US airline BP have it on them if you qualify. Just easier to program system for one setup than multiple.

flyerCO Aug 19, 19 9:19 am


Originally Posted by DLASflyer (Post 31432162)
I do have Global Entry and have my card. But I am wondering if there is an expedited security screening lane as opposed to immigration/customs. It sounds like there is not. My boarding pass is in the app. How hard could it be for Delta to remove the TSA Pre badge from international segments?

Yes, you can you the trusted travelers lane for security if you have your GE/NEXUS card present. Having Precheck or not on the BP doesnt matter. Unlike the US, being a member is sufficient to get access to the lane.

Often1 Aug 19, 19 9:24 am

Yup. Not hard, but merely adds a complication which doesn't meed fixing.

andrewesque Aug 19, 19 10:14 am


Originally Posted by DLASflyer (Post 31432162)
I do have Global Entry and have my card. But I am wondering if there is an expedited security screening lane as opposed to immigration/customs. It sounds like there is not.

No, there are expedited security screening lanes that are separate from expedited US immigration/customs. If you pass through a CATSA Trusted Traveller lane (for which, as noted above, you'll need a physical Global Entry or NEXUS card) you can keep your shoes, belts and light jacket on and liquids in bags, though you have to remove laptops.

Then separately (though it usually immediately follows/precedes security screening depending on the airport layout) you can use the Global Entry machines for expedited entry, for which of course you don't need the card at all.

(There's an occasional complaint about how at some airports in Canada, depending on layout, the lane minders attempt to bar access to the Global Entry machines because they claim you need a physical card, which is of course not true, especially given the fact that Global Entry members who aren't US citizens/permanent residents or Mexican citizens can't even get them in the first place. But this is a bit of a sidenote to your question.)

sydneyracquelle Aug 19, 19 12:48 pm


Originally Posted by andrewesque (Post 31432444)
No, there are expedited security screening lanes that are separate from expedited US immigration/customs. If you pass through a CATSA Trusted Traveller lane (for which, as noted above, you'll need a physical Global Entry or NEXUS card) you can keep your shoes, belts and light jacket on and liquids in bags, though you have to remove laptops.

Then separately (though it usually immediately follows/precedes security screening depending on the airport layout) you can use the Global Entry machines for expedited entry, for which of course you don't need the card at all.

(There's an occasional complaint about how at some airports in Canada, depending on layout, the lane minders attempt to bar access to the Global Entry machines because they claim you need a physical card, which is of course not true, especially given the fact that Global Entry members who aren't US citizens/permanent residents or Mexican citizens can't even get them in the first place. But this is a bit of a sidenote to your question.)

At YYZ they ask to see the physical card for expedited security but never to access the GE machines at Customs.

travelingdrsuz Aug 19, 19 10:00 pm

My AA flight from Paris CDG to ORD had the PreCheck designation on it. It was just standard fare. At that point I didn't even have Global Entry because I was doing my interview upon arrival at ORD, so it meant nothing.

Jeremy3292 Aug 20, 19 6:27 am


Originally Posted by andrewesque (Post 31432444)
(There's an occasional complaint about how at some airports in Canada, depending on layout, the lane minders attempt to bar access to the Global Entry machines because they claim you need a physical card, which is of course not true, especially given the fact that Global Entry members who aren't US citizens/permanent residents or Mexican citizens can't even get them in the first place. But this is a bit of a sidenote to your question.)

This. You do not need your GE card when traveling by air, only by land according to US CBP. I had this problem in Canada and I finally was allowed to go through the NEXUS lanes in Toronto after a brief (civil) argument with the Canadian version of TSA. I never carry my GE card with me as all the information is in my passport already (i.e. GE). The problem is they don't have passport/boarding pass scanners at the beginning of security for some reason, at least in Toronto. So if you don't have a physical GE card to show, they can't validate your claim to be GE/NEXUS. Super annoying.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:42 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.