Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Comfort+ Complimentary Upgrade Question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2019, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Disclaimer: I have already searched the forums and Google extensively for an answer to my question and have not found it. So please don't tell me "to use the search function"

I recently achieved the lowly Silver Medallion status and am on track to Gold or Platinum by EOY. In regards to Comfort+ complimentary upgrades, I know a lot of people (myself included) would rather stay in Main Cabin in our exit row seat then be "upgraded" to a middle Comfort+ seat. As such, my auto-upgrade feature in My Profile is set to request First Class upgrades only with Comfort+ turned off. I know Delta used to have a feature at check-in where you could request a window or aisle Comfort+ seat only, but that apparently no longer exists with the advent of auto check-in (confirmed with Delta rep over the phone).

As a Silver Medallion, my upgrade window is 24 hours to departure. I am wondering what happens if I go into the Delta app and check the box to request a Comfort+ upgrade within that 24 hour window? Will I be able to pick any Comfort+ seat on the seat map on the Delta app? Does anyone have any tips or tricks as what is the best way to do this? I've read the Delta website ad nauseam and cannot seem to find an answer as to how exactly it works.

Additionally, is there any difference between having Comfort+ auto upgrade set in My Profile vs. just requesting a Comfort+ upgrade for each specific flight under the flight details on the Delta app (request long before departure, not necessarily within 24 hour window)?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 9:11 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, MileagePlus Silver, Executive National
If you request per flight you can choose window/aisle only vs the any comfort plus option (including middle). This is the primary difference involved.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 9:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
A lot of people prefer to keep the C+ upgrade request turned off in the profile and to enable it for individual flights only if they've checked the seat map for nonmiddle C+ seats just before the window opens. Of course there's still the risk that you could say OK to a C+ upgrade and see a bunch of unpfrades clear at the same time when the window opens so that no aisles or windows remain to enable you to switch out of an assigned C+ middle seat.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
A lot of people prefer to keep the C+ upgrade request turned off in the profile and to enable it for individual flights only if they've checked the seat map for nonmiddle C+ seats just before the window opens. Of course there's still the risk that you could say OK to a C+ upgrade and see a bunch of unpfrades clear at the same time when the window opens so that no aisles or windows remain to enable you to switch out of an assigned C+ middle seat.
So you are saying it is best to go into your flight details and request a Comfort+ upgrade right at the 24 hour window (for SM)? If you do get assigned the middle seat, can you just switch back in the seating map within the Delta app?
Old Aug 18, 2019, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I'm confused. When I pull up my booking and goto the upgrade section theres an option to only upgrade to non middle C+ seats.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 9:26 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Jeremy3292
So you are saying it is best to go into your flight details and request a Comfort+ upgrade right at the 24 hour window (for SM)? If you do get assigned the middle seat, can you just switch back in the seating map within the Delta app?
This applies mostly for GMs since their C+ "upgrade" window opens well before OLCI. As a FO, if you're able to check the seat map shortly before T-24 and do OLCI then, it matters less.

Also, if you get the C+ "upgrade" you can usually move yourself to a different C+ seat that's unoccupied and unblocked, but not back to a regular coach seat without calling DL to rescind the C+ upgrade (which I'm not sure you can then re-request for the same flight).
Old Aug 18, 2019, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

This applies mostly for GMs since their C+ "upgrade" window opens well before OLCI. As a FO, if you're able to check the seat map shortly before T-24 and do OLCI then, it matters less.

Also, if you get the C+ "upgrade" you can usually move yourself to a different C+ seat that's unoccupied and unblocked, but not back to a regular coach seat without calling DL to rescind the C+ upgrade (which I'm not sure you can then re-request for the same flight).
Since I am an FO for now (GM by EOY), what is the best process then? Thanks for your replies.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 9:35 pm

IMO the best strategy is to request C+ IF you can check the seat map just before T-24 and again shortly after to view your seat if you do get C+ at that time. Otherwise I wouldn't ask for C+ without the nonmiddle qualitication that seems to appear as an option at T-24/OLCI.

Would you prefer to sometimes miss getting C+ in exchange for never being stuck in a C+ middle seat or not?
Old Aug 18, 2019, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

IMO the best strategy is to request C+ IF you can check the seat map just before T-24 and again shortly after to view your seat if you do get C+ at that time. Otherwise I wouldn't ask for C+ without the nonmiddle qualitication that seems to appear as an option at T-24/OLCI.

Would you prefer to sometimes miss getting C+ in exchange for never being stuck in a C+ middle seat or not?
Thanks for your help. I have not seen the "no middle" request at check-in, hopefully I will sometime. If I do not get cleared at the T-24 window, can I then just cancel the Comfort+ request? Obviously if I don't clear at T-24, it is unlikely there would be any good Comfort+ seats for me to clear at the gate so I would rather not be on the list then. Exit row would be fine.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 8:06 am

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
I usually check the seat map right before my window (some DM/PM may have been upgraded at T-120 to FC opening up more aisle C+ seats). If there aren't any good seats, I don't check it. This is important when I'm travelling with the kids and can't have an exit row, but also would want to be sitting next to him in C+ (I always split the reservations so I only have 1 companion).

Something to keep in mind: I don't believe you can change your upgrade requests after you check in, and if you open the app within 24 hours it will automatically check you in.
Jeremy3292 likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
I'm confused. When I pull up my booking and goto the upgrade section theres an option to only upgrade to non middle C+ seats.
Not everyone has this option. @:-)
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
I do not get cleared at the T-24 window, can I then just cancel the Comfort+ request? Obviously if I don't clear at T-24, it is unlikely there would be any good Comfort+ seats for me to clear at the gate so I would rather not be on the list then. Exit row would be fine.
If it checks you in, you cannot cancel the Comfort + request. Otherwise, as long as you haven't cleared, you can un-request the upgrade yourself any time.

I wouldn't quite say its true that there are not any good C+ seats left. Every flight has 2 C+ seats blocked for gate assignment - usually an aisle and a middle in the first row of C+, or if a 2-2 plane, an aisle and a window. If you happen to be on a flight with C+ otherwise full but you're at the top of the UG list, you could get that aisle C+ seat. Its best to make yourself known to the gate agent and ask for the specific seat.
Jeremy3292 likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Not everyone has this option. @:-)
Is there a reason? Everyone I've assisted has the same option. Confused why itd show forcsome but not others.
Tine Rod likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Is there a reason? Everyone I've assisted has the same option. Confused why itd show forcsome but not others.
I don't have that option. Trust me I've looked multiple times in My Profile and on the flight details page for multiple upcoming flights. It sucks
Old Aug 19, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
I don't have that option. Trust me I've looked multiple times in My Profile and on the flight details page for multiple upcoming flights. It sucks
I don't have it either, except when I check in and am not in C+ yet. It's 50/50 if it shows up online, but it usually shows up on the app.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.