Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

MSP-HND (through ICN out, LAX back) in D1Suites. Seeking Lounge, Arrival, Sights, etc

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MSP-HND (through ICN out, LAX back) in D1Suites. Seeking Lounge, Arrival, Sights, etc

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2019, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, HY-PL, National-Executive Elite, Hilton - Gold, Marriot-Gold, IGH-Gold
Question MSP-HND (through ICN out, LAX back) in D1Suites. Seeking Lounge, Arrival, Sights, etc

Hello Frequent Travelers!

A friend of mine and I are heading to HND soon. On the way out, we are flying on Delta in D1 Suites on the 777LR (Yes, confirmed it has the Premium Econ refurbishment completed), then on Korean to HND. On the way back, we are on Delta the entire way HND-LAX-MSP.

I am looking for the best lounge to use in ICN. We are in D1, I have Priority Pass, and I have the AMEX Plat. Also, anything really worth seeing in Seoul. We are both GA pilots and would love to see anyting aviation related during our 3+ hour connection

We arrive at 22:30 into HND, so any tips for quickly grabbing anything worth getting before we leave the airport for our hotel.

On the way back, I am pretty sure I know what the plan is at HND... But LAX's Bradley terminal is new to me. Anything there, especially arriving in D1 would be helpful. I've done D1 in Europe, MSP, and DTW, but not LAX.

Let me know if you all would want me to post photos from the flights on here as we go.

We are going to be in Osaka and Tokyo for a week.

Cheers!
Brad
Old Aug 17, 2019, 1:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Why not take the MSP-HND and vv nonstop?
Old Aug 17, 2019, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, HY-PL, National-Executive Elite, Hilton - Gold, Marriot-Gold, IGH-Gold
128,000 SKM vs. 240,000 skm And, I've not been to ICN, so it will be a fun thing to check off the list!
CPMaverick and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 3:36 pm

Programs: Delta Gold 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium
I cannot speak for ICN, but for LAX, you will be arriving into TBIT, but your connection to MSP is likely to be out of Terminal 2. You will need to clear immigration and customs at TBIT, pick up and re-check your luggage at TBIT, and then walk to T2 and go through the standard TSA screening.

There are no arriving lounges or something like that in LAX.

There is a SkyClub in T2, which I think you should have access to it with your HND-LAX-MSP ticket in D1, otherwise the AMEX Plat should get you in as well.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Daytona
I cannot speak for ICN, but for LAX, you will be arriving into TBIT, but your connection to MSP is likely to be out of Terminal 2. You will need to clear immigration and customs at TBIT, pick up and re-check your luggage at TBIT, and then walk to T2 and go through the standard TSA screening.

There is a SkyClub in T2, which I think you should have access to it with your HND-LAX-MSP ticket in D1, otherwise the AMEX Plat should get you in as well.
The AmEx DL Reserve card is also good for SC access. There's also a SC at LAX T3. Another option might be the Virgin Clubhouse, but OP would need to check the details (PM in D1, PP, ?).

Personally I find the contract lounge that DL uses at HND to be very disappointing and there's no PP or AmEx lounge option at the moment. The KE lounges at ICN T2 are also disappointing. What a downgrade from the wonderful SCs at NRT or even the old main T1 KE lounge (not the satellite one) at ICN before the new terminal was built.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: Lots
It’s not aviation related but if you have a general transport interest there is a Maglev train at ICN that you could possibly ride during a 3.5 hour layover. Seoul itself is too far from the airport but the train is accessible from arrivals. It’s not that exciting, doesn’t hit anywhere near the speed of the one in PVG but if you’ve never ridden on one before and are interested in train technology it could be worth the time. Especially compared to ICN lounges which aren’t really that great.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IggySD
It’s not aviation related but if you have a general transport interest there is a Maglev train at ICN that you could possibly ride during a 3.5 hour layover. Seoul itself is too far from the airport but the train is accessible from arrivals. It’s not that exciting, doesn’t hit anywhere near the speed of the one in PVG but if you’ve never ridden on one before and are interested in train technology it could be worth the time. Especially compared to ICN lounges which aren’t really that great.
That sounds really cool! I'll look it up!

Originally Posted by Daytona

I have the Plat AMEX and DL Reserve Amex... Should be good for them!

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The AmEx DL Reserve card is also good for SC access. There's also a SC at LAX T3. Another option might be the Virgin Clubhouse, but OP would need to check the details (PM in D1, PP, ?).

Personally I find the contract lounge that DL uses at HND to be very disappointing and there's no PP or AmEx lounge option at the moment. The KE lounges at ICN T2 are also disappointing. What a downgrade from the wonderful SCs at NRT or even the old main T1 KE lounge (not the satellite one) at ICN before the new terminal was built.
I'll look into the Virgin Clubhouse... that would be cool
Old Aug 17, 2019, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation D1 MSP-ICN Meal Selection

Just got the email for the MSP-ICN main meal selection.

Does anyone have any recent experience with these? I'd love to see a photo of the Bibimbap.
I'll report back on the quality of whatever I select. Right now, I am leaning Halibut...

Old Aug 17, 2019, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by IggySD
A problem with this is that KE and DL now use T2 at ICN, while the train station is across from T1. I don't think it's possible to go from T2 to T1 through the airport unless you have a connecting flight and I don't think the train line has been extended to T1. T2 seems really far from everything, versus previously when you could walk from T1 to the Grand Hyatt and its neighborhood of what I would describe as the airport village with a few shops, convenience stores, and modest restaurants, plus the monorail. The landside buses are likely to take a long time and might not be very frequent. [I know my airport bus that served both terminals from my hotel seemed to take about twenty minutes to drive from T2 to T1.] I'd be nervous about trying this with only three and a half hours unless someone can clarify the logistics.

ADDED: I've had the beef recently on both TATL and TPAC flights and was very satisfied: basic reasonably high quality food, nothing weird, but not what you would expect at a great restaurant either. To me, the fish preparation also sounds interesting but I haven't seen or tasted it; airplane fish can be dry.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 11:30 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
ICN T2 KE lounges and TIAT lounge at HND are good and great, respectively. They are newer and better than the SC at NRT, so you're not missing anything by skipping NRT on this itinerary. No need to go out of your way for other options.

OP, you should check carefully if your MSP-ICN flight is oversold on the day of departure. MSP-HND leaves earlier but you might be able to get DL to change you to the direct flight. I was able to do this once (and my ICN-HND was on a separate ticket too). Getting into HND at around 2PM is more pleasant than 10:30PM.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 5:30 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Seoul resident. You'll have access to the Korean Air Prestige Lounge in T2. There are two, but don't worry, they're exactly the same. Just size is different. Warning: ICN-HND is usually on an old 737 with old seats. But it's literally an up and down flight, nothing special. At HND - take the limousine bus to your hotel. They run late. Easier than scrambling for one of the last trains.

AT ICN - You can't go to T1 or Concourse THROUGH the airport without a connecting flight's boarding pass. You'll need to exit the airport at T2. To be honest - I'd just stay in T2. Seoul itself is an hour away one way minimum, so you can't go in to the city. At ICN - there are free showers for connecting passengers in the Rest & Relax Area (if the lounge shower is full), there is a Korean Cultural Experience Center (can write your name in Korean on a scroll, dress up in hanbok, some other stuff). T2 is brand new so it's just a NICE airport to be in - clean, gardens in the gate area, performances and concerts all the time.....
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 11:26 am

I thought the cultural exchange center was in T1, IIRC on an upper floor. Is there now a duplicate in T2? If so, I assume it's airside but I haven't found it yet.

Also, a local Tokyo trick is to take the limobus to the closest hotel (there can be limited schedules at times and this is better than waiting an hour or two for the next service to your hotel) and then continue to your own hotel by taxi unless you can walk. Taxi fare to/from HND to various hotels in central Tokyo runs roughly in the 8,000 yen range, no tipping, so figure a little over $75 with most taxis accepting most credit cards (ask). Limobus daytime rates are about 1350 yen per person to many areas of central Tokyo, with night rates IIRC currently around 900 yen pp.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Aug 18, 2019 at 11:32 am
Old Aug 18, 2019, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Cool! I love newly updated and built airports about as much as I love the REALLY old ones that are just interesting in how "classic" they are. We will check out the cultural center for sure.

To FEP: My friend and I are actually looking forward to the stop in Seoul. It allows us to try D1 Suites in both the T7 and the 'Groundbreaking All New Air Bus Three-Five-Zero' (Joke with a DX friend at DL).

Are there any food items or small souvenirs worth carting along the rest of our trip? I will have a checked bag on the return.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

So far, so good!

So far, the trip is off to a great start! Excellent MSP cabin crew. Pursuer is a pro.

PDB now also features Heineken, something I wasn't aware of before.

The T7 D1 Suites are pretty nice!!

I can't get the photos to upload via GoGo, so I'll post up when I arrive in ICN.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 4:37 pm

Heineken has been around as a PDB for a long time, IIRC going back to the PMNW WBC.days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.