Wiki Posts
Search

8 hours on a remote stand at JFK

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2019, 3:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Club
Originally Posted by flyerCO
What counts is if the passengers were free to get up and off the plane. Simply being at the jetbridge doesn't matter. It must be connected and door open for passengers to leave.
So how does it work at a hard stand? Obviously there’s no jetbridge, so how does just opening the door help? It’s not like a passenger can go outside freely on the tarmac to walk around and get some fresh air and stretch their legs. It would take coordinating a bus to come get each passenger that wanted to deplane each time someone wanted off. That sounds like a nightmare logistically that I could see how DL kept these people on the plane unwillingly.

On a side note - I’ve flown DL out of JFK hundreds of times and have never seen DL using buses/handstands for operations. What gate would they even use for that?
Old Aug 16, 2019, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by JakeRobertson212

So how does it work at a hard stand? Obviously there’s no jetbridge, so how does just opening the door help? It’s not like a passenger can go outside freely on the tarmac to walk around and get some fresh air and stretch their legs. It would take coordinating a bus to come get each passenger that wanted to deplane each time someone wanted off. That sounds like a nightmare logistically that I could see how DL kept these people on the plane unwillingly.

On a side note - I’ve flown DL out of JFK hundreds of times and have never seen DL using buses/handstands for operations. What gate would they even use for that?
Gate is down by the very start of B gates where the bus to T2 and High B gates depart.

They rarely use them. In fact the stairwells arent designed for passengers, they're partially spring loaded. I got stuck on A330 goin to one last Aug when my JFK/LAX flight taxied out, back to gate, out again, and pilots timed out before could take off. Gates were all full at all terminals due to it being a weather related grounding for all airline westbound flights.

Once bus is there I believe is when FAA considers the requirements met.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 8:28 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Old Aug 16, 2019, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ekozie
DL rebooking would have been available as soon as fight was delayed. Those that dont fly DL regularly might not know this.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 9:30 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
DL rebooking would have been available as soon as fight was delayed. Those that dont fly DL regularly might not know this.
I would think the FAs told them they couldn't personally help with rebooking. Uh, duhhh.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 12:26 pm

One issue I have with FlyerTalk, as useful as it is, is that the aviation aficionados here forget that these are people who view airlines as merely a means of transportation who wish to get to their destination.

The "well the door was open" is a laughable rationalization in a hardstand situation. Where, exactly, were the pax supposed to go? How were they supposed to be rebooked?

Delta -- big time -- needs to make the right.

And, the entire U.S. airline industry needs far more accountability than it currently has.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 1:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
The DOT need a separate category for Delta stats since they like to play fast and loose with on time stats. I guess Delta thinks it is cheaper to pay the fine than to do the right thing and cancel the flight and accommodate the passengers on other flights to MIA.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I thought Delta is the one airline that stands head and shoulders above the others when it comes to irrops.

I can see this story in the AA forum, but surprised to see it here.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 4:05 pm

Was this delay the same day that a member of DL ground crew was killed at JFK?

Feels like some extenuating circumstances if it was the same day. But then DL's JFK operation likely needs both safety and efficiency clean up.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 6:05 pm

Many of the JFK ground staff witnessed or were involved in the accident. The employee was a very popular 17 year JFK veteran who was well liked. A large number of ground staff were given time off. Delta flew several hundred employees in from other stations to cover the shortfall. It took time to get them there.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 7:10 pm

It looks like this delay was the same day as that JFK ground crew accident. The accident reporting put the accident at around 3:30 PM at T4. And this flight was originally scheduled to take off at 3:58 PM and recorded going out of B18 (also T4).
No evidence to know if the initial delay to boarding by bus at 4:45 and door closure at 5:45 was due to the accident.

Certainly there could have been a serious degradation of ground crew performance the rest of that day.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 5:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tangeng
It looks like this delay was the same day as that JFK ground crew accident. The accident reporting put the accident at around 3:30 PM at T4. And this flight was originally scheduled to take off at 3:58 PM and recorded going out of B18 (also T4).
No evidence to know if the initial delay to boarding by bus at 4:45 and door closure at 5:45 was due to the accident.

Certainly there could have been a serious degradation of ground crew performance the rest of that day.
No, the accident happened Wednesday and this Miami flight incident was Thursday.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.ya...171516712.html
Old Aug 18, 2019, 5:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jeff767
Many of the JFK ground staff witnessed or were involved in the accident. The employee was a very popular 17 year JFK veteran who was well liked. A large number of ground staff were given time off. Delta flew several hundred employees in from other stations to cover the shortfall. It took time to get them there.
Several hundred employees were flown in? Pardon my ignorance but how could employees from different stations just fill in at an operation like JFK? Wouldn’t there need to be training first since it’s such a large station and other employees wouldn’t be familiar with the layout of the aprons, gates, buildings, etc?
Old Aug 18, 2019, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by JakeRobertson212

Several hundred employees were flown in? Pardon my ignorance but how could employees from different stations just fill in at an operation like JFK? Wouldn’t there need to be training first since it’s such a large station and other employees wouldn’t be familiar with the layout of the aprons, gates, buildings, etc?
Also security badges, etc. They wouldn't be able to access the ramp areas.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 6:38 am

Also security badges, etc. They wouldn't be able to access the ramp areas.
Temporary employees are often used at JFK especially during restarts after major snow storms when it’s often possible to fly people in before local employees can drive in or use public transport. Procedures are in place to handle ramp access ect..
In total Delta moved over 300 temp employees to JFK for this tragic accident.
MSPeconomist and wrp96 like this.

Last edited by Jeff767; Aug 18, 2019 at 6:49 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.