Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Earning MQD's on Air France flights with ticket bought on Delta

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2019, 11:51 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Greetings. I am aware that if you buy a ticket on Air France and you choose to apply the flight towards skymiles, in particular the La Premier cabin, you only receive 60% MQD's.

But what if you call Delta and have them book the flight for you, would it still only get 60% MQD or being that the flight was booked on Delta, would it get 100% MQD? The flight in question would be CDG - SIN/SIN-CDG in AF La Premiere cabin.

I called DL and asked that question and they told me only 60% but wanted to see what others think. Thanks.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Originally Posted by DLSuites
Greetings. I am aware that if you buy a ticket on Air France and you choose to apply the flight towards skymiles, in particular the La Premier cabin, you only receive 60% MQD's.

But what if you call Delta and have them book the flight for you, would it still only get 60% MQD or being that the flight was booked on Delta, would it get 100% MQD? The flight in question would be CDG - SIN/SIN-CDG in AF La Premiere cabin.

I called DL and asked that question and they told me only 60% but wanted to see what others think. Thanks.
It is not 60% of the purchase price. They award MQD at 60% of the distance flown. So if you fly 5000 miles, you get 3000MQD.

Sometimes this works in your favor, sometimes it doesn't.
MSPeconomist and ijgordon like this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 1:49 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
And to be clear, what matters is not who books the flight for you, but what airline's code the flight is marketed under. DLxxxx (whether operated by DL or AF) credited to Delta, earns by the DL rules for earning MQMs/MQDs . AFxxxx (whether operated by DL or AF) credited to Delta earns by the rules for earning MQMs/MQDs on partners.
ryw and Adam1222 like this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 3:57 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I follow along now, thanks. Looks like it doesnt really matter if I book it with DL or with AF. I am only getting 60% MQD for Premiere.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by DLSuites
I follow along now, thanks. Looks like it doesnt really matter if I book it with DL or with AF. I am only getting 60% MQD for Premiere.
No. If you book the flight using DL flight numbers (even if operated by AirFrance) you will get 100% of the base fare and carrier-imposed fees allocated to that segment. It will straight up be what you paid.

If you book it under AirFrance flight numbers, you get 60% of the distance flown on the AirFrance flight numbers, regardless of what you actually paid. If you have a discounted fare, then the distance flown option is usually highly lucrative.

If you have an expensive fare, then the DL flight numbers that just credits by straight up with you paid is usually better.

Does this make sense now? No one is "shorting" you MQDs or giving you less than 100% - they are just completely different methodologies for calculating the MQD, stemming from the fact that Delta usually doesn't know what you paid others for fares, so they use the distance multiplied by a percentage to make a best guess. 60% of miles flown as MQD is the most generous and most lucrative of any partner on DL's entire award chart, when comparing to all other partners (all of whom use a percentage multiplied by distance MQD calculation)
MSPeconomist and ijgordon like this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 5:15 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Maybe an example would help here? For example, I might be looking at a flight in premium economy, SFO-CDG-SFO, operated by Air France. The same flight costs $1,505 if I book via Delta (which also has DL flight numbers, DL8599 and 8552); or $1,648 if I book via Air France (which has AF flight numbers, AF83 and 84).

If I book via Delta, I get MQD the regular way, the cost of the ticket without taxes and fees, which in this case is 1382 MQDs.

If I book via Air France but credit the flight to my skymiles account, I get MQD as a percentage of distance flown. The price I paid doesn't matter. Air France premium economy earns at 30%, and the total distance is 11,166 miles, so I'd recieve 11,166 * 30% = 3349 MQD.

So in this particular case I'd be better off booking the flights as AF83 and AF84 and crediting to Delta Skymiles if I wanted to maximize my MQDs.
You'll have to do the calculations for your flight, depending on the distance you're flying, your purchased class of service, and how much the DL-numbered flights cost.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 5:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
As a very general rule, people have been reporting that one can earn far more MQDs on partner coded flights with discounted premium cabin fares, including special sale fares.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:05 pm

But First Class is really hard to get MQDs value on distance. Usually those are priced higher than 60% and therefore better to use revenue based MQDs.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:37 am

MQDs are always 20% of RDMs earned (before any status bonus). So it might be easier if you think in terms of RDMs.
Delta RDMs are 5x $ spent.
AF RDMs in F are 3x distance.
So if the DL fare in $ is more than 3/5 of the distance, then the DL marketed flight earns more RDMs and MQDs.
For example, CDG-SIN is 13332 miles roundtrip, so if the fare is > $8000 (3/5 of the distance) then a DL flight number will earn more RDMs and MQDs than an AF flight number, if you could actually buy a DL codeshare on the flight in F.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by blagger
MQDs are always 20% of RDMs earned (before any status bonus). So it might be easier if you think in terms of RDMs.
Delta RDMs are 5x $ spent.
AF RDMs in F are 3x distance.
So if the DL fare in $ is more than 3/5 of the distance, then the DL marketed flight earns more RDMs and MQDs.
For example, CDG-SIN is 13332 miles roundtrip, so if the fare is > $8000 (3/5 of the distance) then a DL flight number will earn more RDMs and MQDs than an AF flight number, if you could actually buy a DL codeshare on the flight in F.
This is a good way to think about it, but elites earn more RDMs and, in fact, RDM earning per ticket is capped at 75,000. As a DM, this would be a binding constrain on a $8000 ticket. So I would need to be careful to look at the five times calculation and not the RDMs that are shown when I'm booking the flights logged in on delta.dumb or better yet just look at the MQDs shown on delta.dumb for DL flights.

Be careful too about MQD earnings on DL including carrier imposed fees but not government imposed fees and taxes, so neither the "fare" or the ticket price are the right number here.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 4:41 pm

I have a similar question:
For AF marketed economy tickets credited to Delta SM how can I tell which economy fare I am purchasing that will apply to the Delta MQD factor, since it ranges between 5% and 25% of distance flown? Delta lists fare codes on their partner chart but I don't really see those when I go to purchase a ticket on AFs website.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 4:58 pm

Can anyone suggest some general "sweet spots" for MQDs? I'm MQM-heavy and MQD-light this year.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 5:09 pm

Cheap international longhaul business class fares on partners such as KE, AF/KLM, and possibly MU but watch the percentage earnings by fare class and especially be sure to avoid any fare classes that don't earn anything.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mkt80
I have a similar question:
For AF marketed economy tickets credited to Delta SM how can I tell which economy fare I am purchasing that will apply to the Delta MQD factor, since it ranges between 5% and 25% of distance flown? Delta lists fare codes on their partner chart but I don't really see those when I go to purchase a ticket on AFs website.
Click on the "Fare conditions" link when pricing tickets on the AF website. It shows the fare basis codes for the flights and the AF fare class is the first letter of the fare basis code.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by xliioper
Click on the "Fare conditions" link when pricing tickets on the AF website. It shows the fare basis codes for the flights and the AF fare class is the first letter of the fare basis code.
so the following ticket would indicate the two first flights are A fare class and the last two flights are S fare class?
thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.